The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Gas in Honda 50’s over winter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baxter

City/Region: Sheridan
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Baxter ll
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Gas in Honda 50’s over winter Reply with quote

Every year this decision arises. I have two Honda Carb. 50’s
Should I run gas out of engines before storage or leave it in?

Have done both ways. I fill both tanks and stabilizer in the fuel that has worked for years. As no room for condensation.

Covid for me means have only put 30 hours on engines.

Seems when you live in cold WY biggest damage to boat overall is 7 months in storage.

Thanks

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baxter, I'm sure you will get votes for both. My normal is to fill with non-ethanol fuel, double dose with Marine Stable (now the 360 version), and add Startron additive. I add that again in the spring and fill the tanks again with fresh fuel, when they are down about 1/4. That fill is with the higher octane. Have never had a problem, and have had the boat sit for 8 months one year. This year, it will be 10 months before it gets any hours, due to Covid and some medical issues.

Best in your choice,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject: Ethanol Gasoline Reply with quote

Baxter, As Hardee has indicated, make sure you run "non-ethanol" fuel through the system along with a fuel stabilizer before storing. If you use ethanol, and it remains in the system, you should refer to the shop manual and drain the carb bowls of any residual gasoline. Running the engine dry is insufficient as fuel will remain and clog the low and medium speed jets that will require carb rebuilding! You might also remove the spark plugs and spray the cylinders with "fogging oil" and then replace the spark plugs.
PUR-GAS.com

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry, Thanks for adding the "fill, add additives and run" before storage. I did not specify that but it is what I do. Have to, in order to get the fuel and additive mixed, and through the system.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had twin carb 40 Hondas on my first c-dory, and after learning the expensive way.... always ran the engines out of fuel and drain the remainder from each float bowl using the drain screw. Not only to put up for a season but even when it was going to sit for just a week or two. Its just too easy to do and prevent gumming up the jets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: