Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject: Sally Reply with quote

Been watching Sally's progress since she passed near us this past weekend. Looking at radar and weather reports the last 36 hours, keeping my fingers crossed for Bob, John and the rest of the Brats in that area. The tract of Sally has not been kind to the West Pensacola area. I feel their pain... been there, done that! Hoping for a decent outcome since in a hurricane location is everything. At least it's not a CAT5 but that's little consolation when the wind is howling, your being pounded by rain, the power is about to go out, trees are falling and the creek is rising.

James

Molly Brown

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's been no pinic in Apalachicola either. Though I've never met them I hope Mark and the gang weather through this without too much damage.
Reports from Pensacola are not good......
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molly Brown wrote:
Looks like it's been no pinic in Apalachicola either. Though I've never met them I hope Mark and the gang weather through this without too much damage.
Reports from Pensacola are not good......

Thoughts and prayers for everyone in LA (lower Alabama), and hope you will be able to return to the sugar sand beaches soon. I spent many a hot, humid day there working for peanuts, literally (Alabama Peanut Producers Association). Wish we could divert some of that rain to the PNW to clean our smoky skies. I guess this kind of event shows the utility of a trailerable boat that you can drive out of harm's way.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are safe. Water level stopped 2’ from house. C dory ok. Many neighbors homes have 5’ of water in them. Some will stay with us. Not as bad as Ivan.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Molly Brown

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to that Bob!! So glad to hear you, Marie and the pups are safe....boat too.
Take good care,
James
B&B Burks

City/Region: Green Valley
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Sally Reply with quote

Hi Dr Bob,
We have been thinking of you guys and your very nice home and property.
We are so glad you are both OK and as I would expect helping others.
I can’t imagine what it would be like to go thru a hurricane, you are real troopers and thanks for letting us know of your statis.
Bob & Betsy
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
We are safe.

Did this guy survive (Panama City, FL)? Not that I would miss him that much.

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
We are safe. Water level stopped 2’ from house. C dory ok. Many neighbors homes have 5’ of water in them. Some will stay with us. Not as bad as Ivan.

Thanks for the update, Bob - we were concerned. We send good vibes your way that Sally moves on and you and Marie remain safe. Mother Nature has been tough on many of us this year.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good news, and hope all are as fortunate. I have been remiss in national and global news of late, minimal access fro a while so me connection with the brats is my source of news, and it is good to hear good news about the BRAT family today.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It struck me tonight as I walked out the door into the deep dark. Our house was the only house that had a light on out of 50 houses. There are some LEDs in the stilt house across the street but they have no electricity no running water. We are taking in two of neighbors and their poodle They have lost everything in the house, all the furniture, most of the clothes. The back wall of the house has been totally destroyed the water as the breakers Rolled in across Perdido Bay. Imagine their terror in the dark as they climbed up onto the kitchen counter, as the water rose.

The lady was weeping and she said this is been such a terrible year. I’m not sure I want to go back and live in this house again. Another neighbor who is helping with high water rescue came by he had only a foot and a half of water in his house but he said if I’m going to build it again it will have to be at least 3 to 4 feet higher off the ground, but I don’t want to live on stilts.

All Of the houses built on grade have been flooded. Those built on stilts Were spared.,but their generators would not run because their electric circuits were in the water in the lower levels and the generator shorted out. They left the truck or car parked underneath the house. Flooded. Boats destroyed at thee failed dock.

High water rescue took about 25 people. Water was too deep for the big rescue trucks. A neighbor who lost his house evacuated another dozen. In some homes the man was staying to protect from looters. I’ll be watching also tonight. Then we will set up a patrol schedule tomorrow.

There was only a foot or two at 4 pm when I went back to sleep. The Eastern eye wall was going to pass about 6 miles to the west in a couple of hours. At 7am, there was about 4 feet of water. By 11am there was 9 feet. Flash flood from over 30” of rain in a day. Water was in our garage & lapping on our front & back porches. We got valuables ready to take to our second story, just in case. The tide turned and the water began to level out. Then the wind shifted more to the SW and we had more breakers.

We thought our neighbors had evacuated yesterday. But then I saw the door open and realize they were trapped in their house. We were able to get a phone call over to them and Marie went across the street to help the gal first and then their standard poodle cross water on the street which is about 6 feet deep. Later the man started and we went over again to help. Fortunately we had clothes that fit them and put them up for the evening. They hope to get there RV tomorrow.

Tomorrow their son from Louisiana will come over with a large truck and try and move what they can salvage into a storage unit. Then they will have to deal with insurance adjusters and trying to get their home rebuilt. The question is if they want to live there again. That seems to be a common thread amount our neighbors right now. We had Ivan in 2004. In 2014 we had 24 inches of rain in 24 hours in a dam broke flooding again. Now six years later we have a flood again. We have a number of new neighbors who have only moved in during the last year and never experienced a flood event or hurricane before. I wonder how they’re going to cope. Do they have adequate insurance?

We are fortunate because our house is built on a 12 foot mound above the street. We have an extra water tank and we have an 18 KW generator which runs off natural gas. So here we are no Internet but the rest of the luxury’s are still ours. We also have the RV and the C Dory. Which we’re not damaged our trucks and cars are fine. But another two or 3 feet of water and we will be in the same pickle that our friends are in.

We think the C Brats for all their support and good wishes. Camp Thataway is still intact and in business. We hope to see you all on the St. Johns River in March or before.
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomorrow we clean the debris in our yard we have two docs about 50 feet of fence one PWC and one kayak in front yard as well as 1 foot deep of various types of clothes and a Jetson. We are so fortunate however but we didn’t have any serious damage our best all thank you
louxwe

City/Region: Niceville
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Falcon
Photos: C-Falcon
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:14 am    Post subject: Ok in Niceville FL Reply with quote

Luckily my Cーdory rode out the storm fine parked at our in my driveway. Good thing I pulled it too because our marina did not fair very well at all where my boat was parked had a big boat sink and the docks are totally destroyed. I have my carbs all taken apart so I decided might as well pull her out and finish that job and add some bottom paint. Very glad I got off the docks but may not be back in very soon
garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the good news!
'08 Yamaha 90
KC3PO
Nancy and Bud

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Emma Mae
Photos: Emma Mae
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news. Luck favors the prepared. Thumbs Up
Molly Brown

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luck hasn't much to do with it in Bob and Marie's case. There is a reason Bob gives the majority of our safety talks. He is a tireless advocate to plan, prepare, execute. I'm continually amazed by his attention to detail and planning.

Bob, I hope you and Marie will take a moment each day to relish the satisfaction of all your efforts paying off. And, there is no better feeling than being able to assist those in need, especially your neighbors. Charley really brought our neighborhood together and lasts to this day, 16 years later.

Wondering about John and Eillen, how they fared, house ok, did they get the boat out in time, etc....

James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: