The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Can you help us find a C-Dory 22 cruiser?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Dory Boats Wanted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chastedt

City/Region: freeport, Maine
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Can you help us find a C-Dory 22 cruiser? Reply with quote

Hello all. We have spent many years on the water, mostly sailing, along the Maine coast and up to Newfoundland and Labrador. But now we're ready to start a new chapter hopefully adventuring in a C-Dory 22 cruiser. Can anyone help us locate one in relatively good condition? We know that these are much loved boats, and understand why after cruising on one. While we live in Maine we are willing to travel to find one. Does anyone know of one that may be available to buy along the East Coast, or in the Great Lakes area? If so please email us at chastedt@aol.com. Thanks for your help. Burt and Chris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is to keep looking each day on this site in the "home page" down in the right corner. Good boats tend to move fairly quickly. There is a nice one with twins in Flagstaff, AZ right now. Not on the East coast.... We have purchased all of our C Dorys at least 1000 miles from home--except one which was now.

Also look on Craig's list, and boat trader. Sometimes they don't make it to the C Brats list...

Looking at the list on the 'home page', it looks as if some of these boats had sold. Often the owner will put that in the thread, and then the boat is moved to Marketplace.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: Leesburg
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Facebook Marketplace. This seems to be giving CL a run for their money.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob gave you the best place to look. Do it frequently.
Also, have your $$$ lined up. The good boats, like the one he mentioned, go fast.
Not uncommon for them to go in a day or two. Just a couple weeks ago, one sold in 4 days. Be ready. Offer a down payment, refundable, to hold it until you can see it in person, or have a survey done.

Good luck in you endeavours.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a CD25 at Wefings...
As Quint and Colby said, "Yer gonna need a bigger boat."

https://wefings.com/used-boats/c-dory-25-cruiser-2006/

Happy looking!
John

ssobol

City/Region: Leesburg
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gulfcoast john wrote:
As Quint and Colby said, "Yer gonna need a bigger boat."

https://wefings.com/used-boats/c-dory-25-cruiser-2006/

Happy looking!
John

That one's been there for awhile. Maybe they'll make you a deal on it. On the other hand, maybe there's a reason it's still there... but I have no idea.

There's a 23 Venture (a fancier 22) with twin Honda 60s for sale on Yachtworld in Rockport Maine.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2012/c-dory-ventura-3708968/

There is also a 22 with a single for sale in Connecticut

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2004/c-dory-22-cruiser-3683467/

Boat Trader lists one in NY, but it needs an engine

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2008-c-dory-22-cruiser-7544894/
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As Quint and Colby said, "Yer gonna need a bigger boat.

Nope, never said that! lol. I did get a bigger boat. But I was very satisfied and happy with that 22 I had. Just seems anytime I get something fixed up just like I like it, it's time to sell and start over! (I'm slowly getting used to the 25, but would be remiss in not saying I do miss the 22 a little bit.)
easy does it

City/Region: St George/Ivins
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Photos: Easy Does It
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:43 am    Post subject: post topic Reply with quote

I looked for 5 years and ended up buying a boat that I am not entirely happy with because it was near me. My advice would be decide what is important to you as far as accessories. Now is the time to get them at a discount, not after you buy the boat. Decide what power configuration you want. Don't be in a hurry. Buy on this website ( most of these boats are well known and you can get feedback) I can't overstate the value of this website! widen your search area to anywhere in the U.S. Don't consider price only. If you see a boat that is reasonably priced and looks good to you do your due diligence and get a deposit nailed as quick as possible. Have the boat shipped to you with a commercial shipper, it is not that expensive.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to disagree with "Easy Does It" on a couple of items. I will not buy a boat without seeing it in person or sea trial. (For many I would add a survey and engine condition analysis.)

Even thought I have bought boats at some distance, my deposit was usually wired to their bank. But I made a contract "deposit refundable if boat does not pass survey, inspections and sea trial". For an example on my last boat. We had agreed on a price. I had a Cashier's check for $5,000 less than the amount due we had agreed on, and had $5,000 in cash when I went to pick up the boat. As it turned out the "full camper back" was only a screen enclosure. So we agreed on a reduction of the price by several thousand dollars.

Also I have, on occasion, asked a trusted member of this site to take a look at the boat before I committed. Also I often want detailed photos of any area I am suspicious of, and asked for some maintenance records.

I have a friend who put the deposit on a boat, drove down to pick it up, and was in a hurry, so didn't sea trial. I had advised against purchased of that boat, but that advice was ignored. The engine overheated on his first trip on the boat. It turned out that there was severe corrosion, blocking the water passages. Engine was toast. $15,000 later the boat didn't seem like the bargain it seemed to be..!!
easy does it

City/Region: St George/Ivins
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Photos: Easy Does It
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: post topic Reply with quote

Dr Bob, I knew my post would pull you out of the woodwork. Excellent advise and the voice of experience, I would go with Dr Bob. Everyone has a right to there opinion though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Dory Boats Wanted All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: