The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Lake powell late september/early October?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appears to be the pins. The main assembly is still there. And perhaps one pin. I’ll get a photo later.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a photo of what's left. Colby

jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind off hard to explain that. I could see one coming loose. When they are put on they use locktight. I haven't seen one break off like that.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the trailer been in salt water before you bought the boat? Is so it appears that corrosion is involved. I would check all of the other "pins" to be sure they are OK. You did the correct thing--to lock that brake system out, with the coupling. I don't like the flexible plastic lines. But the cause of the failure is the corrosion or a manufacture defect.

Not the fault of "electric over hydraulic vs electric--as a system. 95% of boaters are going to say the E/H is a better system for trailering boats over the magnetic electric trailer brakes.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the trailer was used in salt water by the previous owner / owners. But I don't think it was used much. I ended up (against my own better judgement) towing it home without brakes. I stopped into 4 or 5 shops; none were able to do a repair for me. I finally found a union, but the brake line, a poly tube with braided material over it, kept blowing right outside the union where the braid was not able to protect it. One shop, a RV/Trailer shop, the mechanic was willing to make me a new line, but didn't have enough material. He stated that he doesn't care for disc brakes on trailers for this very reason, and that it's not that uncommon for them to come apart like this. Not just the corrosion, but vibration causing problems. In any case, if this had been a pure electric brake, it would not have taken out the rest of the system. Again, I've never had issues with electric brakes. They are simple, inexpensive and they work. Even after putting on the EOH actuator, I wasn't overly impressed with the system. The disc brakes run hotter than the electric, and you are still dealing with a hydraulic system in water. I rarely launch in salt water, and when I do, a fresh water wash down system rinses the salt away.
I also ended up having the right rear lights fall off, as the plastic cracked where the bolts go thru. (Easy fix using tiny bungy chords to hold it back on.) And a right fender that is very loose as one of the bolt on points cracked off. (And this is heavy aluminum I believe.) I'm not sure how much of this was previous corrosion, or just the state of our national highways (that vibrate the hell out of you, even at 60-65mph). Or just the trailer design. Needless to say, yes the trailer does need a much closer inspection, and I will be closely looking at the other 3 brake cylinders and other fasteners on the trailer. I was planning on looking into a new trailer in the spring, but think I'll move that timeline up. This is a Karavan trailer, and probably of lower quality than some of the others that are common under the 25's.

As a replacement, I'm thinking about either EZ-Loader or Load-rite. Are there any other recommendations from others with 25's? My must have list will include LED lights, Electric Brakes, Oil Bath Hubs and bunks. I'd like to hear more comparisons about spring vs. torsion. Also, for those with side boards, how easy is it to clean the boat hull inside of those boards? I'm under the impression that it is much easier to load with side boards, especially in current or wind. Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, I can only comment on the side boards as I just have the surge brakes on my Pacific Tandem trailer. It does have side bunks, and I have always had them so can't compare to not, but I have no problem cleaning under them. There is a couple inches of slack, and if the boat is perfectly centered, an inch on each side. Easy to get my hand and a sponge or the hose into that space.

And the side bunks are easy to remove for waxing and buffing.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is easier to load with side boards--and often you cannot clean and wax without loosening the side boards. I don't have them now, but am thinking about putting in short ones forward at about Max beam position. My standoffs, are heavy duty, and have bolted on PVC pipe--I also put extra LED lights on the top and side of the stand offs. These are far easier for following cars to see than lights under the boat.

I believe that the Load Rite is the best trailer set up for the C Dory 25. A number of us have them. I have been in several circumstances where we loaded the 25 much easier than folks with the 22's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: