View previous topic :: View next topic  
garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:03 am    Post subject: Red lights other than Nav lights...? Reply with quote

Just thinking out loud again as I often do - you'll get used to it...

I'm currently putting some thought into updated cabin and cockpit lighting. I've worked with LED lighting strips in the past and really liked how handy they were and it seems like a perfect way to light both the cabin and cockpit areas:

- The strips can be dimmed (the right models, anyway).
- The strips can be placed strategically so they're close to areas that would most likely need light (walkways, dinette table, sink, stove, etc) so you can get away with the minimum light necessary (dim as possible).
- The strips can produce different color light (again, certain models) - so you can have regular 'white' light... or... red light (for example) to protect your night vision.

I'm pretty excited about these possibilities... but then I got to wondering if use of red lights in the cabin and cockpit might be confusing from a Nav Light perspective? Obviously, I'd still have my regular Nav Lights... and cabin lighting wouldn't be a point source of light like a Nav Light, and shouldn't be as bright as a Nav Light... but thought I'd ask the more experienced folks out there. "Rig for Red" is common in the Navy, curious if pleasure boat people are familiar enough with it.

'08 Yamaha 90
KC3PO
gstraub

City/Region: Callao
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: EnDoryFun
Photos: EnDoryFun
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think distributed lighting like that would be a problem as long as it can't be confused or obscures the nav lights. However, check to see that any LED lights you install do not cause interference to your VHF radio reception. I just did a radio inspection on a commercial vessel and the LED deck lights they installed severely degraded reception on the VHF radio.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point about the VHF interference--and the is a well known issue.

I have used red lights (more specifically LED's in the last 10 or so years) for over 50 years on my boats. There is no problem with confusion with navigation lights inside of the cabin or cockpit. I have one light which might be an issue--and that is a 3 LED red cluster on the back of the lip of the top above the cockpit shining into the cockpit. I don't run that when under way.

Most of my cabin lights have a switch for either red or white LED. There is a second switch, which gives bright or dim. You don't really need " dimmer", because these are gong to be more than likely causing interference with the radio.

I have a completely separate system which is just red LED clusters. One on the electronic shelf shining down at about 45* on the forward part of the cabin, one on the aft bulkhead shining down at about 45*, and one in the head shining straight down. These are switched from a panel I can reach from my bunk, or from the helm.

There dealers who have LED's which are specifically made to not cause interference. The LED's are going probably be a little more expensive.

Here is an article about using ferrite beads to suppress interference

Marine Beam has an article on the lights. They can provide led bulbs which don't cause interference.

Doctorled, also has Low EMF bulbs.

Of course you can also turn off your EMF producing bulbs when running at night.
I have used ferrite beads to suppress what I needed to for the essential bulbs for night running.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put my stick-on LED light strips on the top of the window framing where they disappear. I also used a stick-on conduit that matches the interior to hide the wires. On my new boat that has the standard Perko white ceiling lights, I bought three way switches and re-wired them to use red LED light strips for night time. If the red LED itself isn't directly visible, they aren't really bright enough for somebody not on the boat to even tell that red interior lights are on.

Mark

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2740&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

and good point about the RFI... that is a potential problem if you don't pay attention to that detail. I've already used the same lights and circuitry I plan to use in a ham radio environment, so I should be OK.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have round 5 or 6 inch dome single switch lights in the cabin, the simplest solution is to find the bulb type on the marinebeam site

https://store.marinebeam.com/led-replacement-bulbs/

and replace the bulb with their 9-white, 3-red LED array in the dome.

https://store.marinebeam.com/red-white-switchable-led-for-dome-lights-un-dome-15-rww/

No new fixtures or switches or wiring needed. Your first button switch press lights the dim red LED’s, press again within 3 seconds to light the white array. Runs cool and zero interference. No dimming needed, just decide how many to turn on for the amount of lighting you want. We chose all white LED’s for the four berth fixtures. More expensive than the cheap Chinese lamps, but great US tech support. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best (I just HATE when that happens). It’s good to be considering these options, but as a practical matter recreational boaters tend to avoid unnecessary running at night for a host of reasons, including that it’s much harder to see things.

Marinebeam also has brighter direct LED replacements for the Perko 10w nav lamps. They’ve proven much more robust than delicate incandescent filaments on our trailer boat. Back then they didn’t have formal USCG 2 mile visibility certification, but they’re brighter than any others I’ve seen.

But wait, there’s more!
They also have a replacement much brighter LED for the Davis Mega Light low draw utility/cockpit and backup anchor light.

Happy shopping!
John

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use led modules that are designed for signs. They have a number of leds in waterproof units. They come in a variety of colors including RGB. You get them in a string of X modules. I just cut them apart, add appropriate wire, and stick them where needed.

Right now I have them in the cockpit and inside cabinets and storage compartments (e.g. under the v-berth).

These modules are available from a lot of places. The modules are ~$1-1.50 ea. I get mine via eBay.

I also replaced the incandescent bulbs in the Perko lights with led arrays as mentioned somewhere on this site a while ago (also from eBay).

Never had any issues with the VHF. Probably because the led units are 12vdc and there is no active step up or step down of voltage. If I want to dim the leds, a simple resister works just fine.
dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, Dr. Bob is spot on about the work lights and RED LED's.

I use a bright red LED flood work point the stern to illuminate my night fishing on Lake Michigan for big Chinooks. It works perfect: didn't have any problems identifying my lures etc, and didn't attract nearly the insects that the white LED does.

That's my only issue with the bright white LED's: they attract bugs instantly, and by the bajillions.

I also have a red LED dome light over the helm that worked great for night vision to keep a sharp eye out for other boats.

When I have every light aboard FRESH FISH (and they are all LED), my amp meter sais that I am using 3 amps.

Good luck with your decision.

CD 22 Cruiser "FRESH FISH: 2018 to present.
CD 16 Angler "OPA": 2013 to 2019.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I wish I had known about the 3-12 LED light system before I replaced my inside dome lights. I replace 3, Port and Starboard galley lights and one in the V-birth. The replacements have rocker switches, one way for white, the other for red. I rarely use any of them, but the red are way too bright at night. I found an easy fix. I wear my LED headlamp turned around 180 degrees, and point it upward. Lights up the cabin perfectly, wherever I want, and just the right "dimness"-- until is step outside.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: