The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Fresh water pump issues!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danjenni

City/Region: Tenino
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2012
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Ker
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:07 am    Post subject: Fresh water pump issues! Reply with quote

We are experiencing a lot of annoying noise when we turn on our fresh water pump to get water. I read in this forum that it is possibly a leak in the system which there was. I fixed that with a new filter cover and still have the noisiest pump ever. I thought maybe it was normal to have pump noise but have found out that on the contrary, these pumps are meant to be left on and come on only when water is drawn and pressure reduced. So I suspect that we need a new pump. Ours is probably a 2012 model. Jabsco Sensor Max 14. Mod # 31750-0000. It is apparently no longer in production.
Anybody had any luck rebuilding these things? Maybe I should just fork over the bucks to get a new one. I just think $350 Is a bit steep for an item that is considered by some to be a maintenance item. One more thing. Are you supposed to hear these pumps at all when the sink is turned on?

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I have it right, that pump is a constant pressure pump. That's what makes it expensive. I can't imagine why one would want that on a small boat. Constant pressure only makes sense if you running the pump for long periods of time....with a 20 gallon water tank, I run the water pump as short as possible.

You can get a typical fresh water pump for under $100. I would not go less than 3 gallon/minute. Yes, these pumps make noise, but not too loud, and again you only run it for short spurts.

If you have no leaks (like NONE), then the pumps I'm talking about will not come on until you release the pressure by running some water. Once I nailed all my leaks (some tiny), my system holds full pressure for days. I can have the pump de-powered for 3 days, and when I turn on the switch, it still doesn't run since no pressure leaks from my system.

NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW,

On my 26-footer, I replaced an older basic FW pump with a variable speed one. Eliminated the "hammering" of the basic pump, replacing it with a smooth and even flow. A nice improvement. Just replaced one on my current boat with a Shurflo Aqua King II. Works really well.

The 4gpm model is $190 at Defender (or $172 if you are a Defender 1st member). 3gpm is $110 or $100.

Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, from 1991 to 1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick google search shows the parts for rebuild of your Jabsco.

You can use any RV pump--they start. at $70 for a Shurflo 2088-554-144 Fresh Water Pump, 12 Volts, 3.5 Gallons Per Minute, 45 Psi. The only reservation there is the 45 PSI. I found an exact replacement for the pump in my C Dory 25, (even uses the same quick release fittings --which are quick release for a reason!) and keep it covered with corrosion block and in a gallon freezer bag under the dinette when the pump on the boat fails--then I will rebuild the current pump, and keep it as a spare.

I don't leave the pumps on--there are just too. many places to leak.--especially in the boats with water heaters. Also if you happen to step off the boat for a few minutes, and a hose or fitting fails, you dump your entire water tank in 6 minutes.

It is very easy to just flip the switch on--use the pump, and switch it off. There is some noise--but in the 25's the pump is back under the cockpit deck, so it is deadened.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is some noise--but in the 25's the pump is back under the cockpit deck, so it is deadened.

Not on my 2005 CD25 Cruiser; so I guess it depends on the year. Mine is in the locker that usually contains the hot water heater. It is mounted on the "bulkhead" that forms the aft portion of the dinette seating. I suspect that mounting increases the noise since that plywood panel must act as a sounding board. OTOH, I don't find the "noise" objectionable at all.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not on my 2005 CD25 Cruiser; so I guess it depends on the year. Mine is in the locker that usually contains the hot water heater.

That is correct up until 2006 the water tank was mounted forward, and the marine head pumped sewage to a holding tank under the cockpit deck aft. Some time in the 2006 model, the head was changed to an integral unit with the 9 gallon holding tank, and the water tank was placed where the old holding tank was. My 2003 C Dory 25 had the same water pump arrangement as the 2005.
BBlalock

City/Region: Ocean/ICW
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2013
Vessel Name: Finale
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 25' 2013 the noisy pump is under the sink.
smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious.......why does the noise of the water pump bother folks?

I respect your right to be bothered Laughing, I just don't understand it. Perhaps this is it? Before I sealed up every leak, regardless of size, on my boat, the pump would occasionally run for 5 seconds at random times of the day or night as the system lost pressure so the pump kicked in. This was occasionally bothersome....especially at night while sleeping (if I forgot to turn off the switch at the DC panel). But now that it never runs unless I am purposely turning on a faucet, I could care less.

What am I missing?
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

It is very easy to just flip the switch on--use the pump, and switch it off. There is some noise--but in the 25's the pump is back under the cockpit deck, so it is deadened.

Bob, I suppose you are aware, but the location of the water pump apparently varies by year on the 25s. In 2005 the water tank was embedded in the foam under the vee-berth and the water pump was under the port side rear dinette seat. Even after installing a new water pump and tightening all the hose clamps I could find, we are still not completely free of our water leaks, although they are significantly reduced, and we do fine just turning the pump switch on and off as you suggest.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: