View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Safety Reminder: waterproof DSC hand held VHF radio and PLB Reply with quote

Today there was a story posted on The Hull Truth by a Coast Guard Officer about a rescue done over the weekend out of New Orleans. I don't think it hurts for all of use to remember to check our emergency gear.

It involved a professional mariner (crew boat captain) and his newly acquired Wellcraft 20, his family of wife and two young children. They had planed their first trip in the "new" boat. A com check at launch revealed his VHF radio was not working. So he drove over an hour to secure a new VHF Radio and installed it.

That evening the boat began taking on water. The Captain sent a MayDay call, but didn't know how to properly read his hand held GPS and give location. CG Sector New Orleans responded. As the boat sank, it turtled and the ditch bag was left at the console. It also had not been fully closed, so the VHF hand held was ruined. there were some intact flares.

The initial search of several hours did not find the boat based on his possible location. Then they tried to re-create a line of position using RDF equipment at the com center. At this point there was a cutter, several private vessels two Helos and one airplane involved. Eventually the air craft spotted a human heat signature at 10 miles with their FLIR. (Infra Red heat signature detection) Also a flare heat signature can be seen many miles away by a search and rescue air craft--even better if they have FLIR. Save the flares until you hear or see an airplane after the initial one or two.

The family was saved. They all had on life jackets.

If there had been DSC with MMSI properly installed the initial mayday would have included the digital Lat and Long. If there had been a waterproof VHF hand held, like the Standard Horizon with DSC and MMSI number, installed, it would have directed rescue immediately. If there had been a PLB or EPRIB in the ditch bag it would have almost immediately brought rescue.

Especially for newer boaters:
!. Have DSC enabled by putting your MMSI number into your fixed VHF radio and know how to use it.

2. Have a waterproof DSC enabled hand held VHF marine radio, with the MMSI number.

3. Have flares and survival gear in a water proof ditch bag you can grab as you leave the boat. I keep ours right by the helm. It also goes in the dinghy with us.

4. Have a PLB or EPRIB aboard and know how to use it.

5. Have proper life jackets and wear them if necessary.

Be safe.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reminder Bob. No one ever plans to have an emergency. It just happens when you least expect it. Having a registered MMSI number with the Coast Guard on the boat and the hand held is a must! When things go bad they will need to know your location because in the panic you may not have time or be able to tell the Coast Guard your location. Glad the family was saved in this situation.
Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was timely Bob.....

My EPIRB registration was due so I pulled it out of the boat to confirm serial number and noticed it was due this month for a new battery (required every 5 years). Sent it off to Solution One Marine who informed me that my vintage 2003 McMurdo is no longer supported, nor could they get a battery replacement for it. I paid right at $1000 for it back in the day. The new G8 was $470 and not only does it have an internal GPS but also sends out an AIS alert to all vessels within range. Cheaper and better....rare for me. VHF is important but in an emergency an EPIRB is definitively better by far.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,
Thank you for the information on the MCMURDO–SmartFi "send G8 Manual EPIRB with AIS. I consider that a game changer in EPRIB's! I could not find that model for $400--where did you purchase yours?

This is also a good opportunity to discuss our ditch bags:

I use an older "SeaLine" waterproof clear bag about 12" tall and about 10 Liter size. I have had it for over 30 years and it still works well: I have put a 2" x 4" piece of 3M retrospective silver tape on the outside of the bag to make it easier to spot. We also but similar sized pieces tape on our inflatable life jackets in addition to the smaller pieces already there.

1 hand held VHF radio with charged battery and AA battery tray and a dozen spare batteries.
2 hand held small GPS (with marine charts) "Garmin"
3 Hockey puck hand bearing compass (useful for navigation, but also vectoring in a rescue craft.)
4. PLB McMundo.
5.Bright orange vinyl poncho--both rescue signal and personal covering against weather and spray.
6. "Seeme" ministrobe light
7. Waterproof rescue whistle
8 .Single AAA cell Streamlite flashlight
9 .Swiss Army knife (Evolution huntsman: standard blades, with saw and scissors)
10. Bic Cigarette lighter and container of waterproof matches
11. Original Leatherman multi tool.
12. small bag of dimes and quarters
13. small air horn
14. Chapstick
15. Water purification tablets
16. Signal mirror
17. small first aid kit, including a 30" x 30" muslin towel= 2 triangular bandages.
18. Small fishing kit
19. Skyblazer 2 aerial flares
20, Small pair of Vise grips
21. 110 Buck Knife with small fine sharpening stone.
22. 50' para-cord
23. Mylar spaceblanket.
24. North American Arms .22 mag 1 1/8 barrel, 5 shot revolver, with 10 extra rounds including "snake shot" (for birds). We both hold CCW permits, and it is not packed where prohibited--such as in Canada and a few of the US states without reciprocity (mostly which we try and avoid). It might also be used as a signal device. I realize this may be controversial to some.

This kit is not only used on the boat and dinghy, but goes in the RV with us. This has enough "gear" to keep us alive for several days in any area until hopefully rescued--we also have a 6 gallon container of water in the cockpit, which would be one of the items which would be grabbed--along with the life ring, and its 100' line in a throw bag.
Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob.....I sent my old unit to Solution One Maritime in Tampa. They were waiting on a shipment of Epirb’s from McMurdo at a special price with the understanding that they would pass the savings along to their customers. The timing was to my benefit as they were expecting them any day. Their number is 813-241-6654. Final price with taxes/shipping $527. I believe the unit itself was $470. Still half of wat I paid back in 2003. Also I think the battery life is now 10 years and user replaceable but I haven’t even unpacked it yet.
James
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good reminder Bob, Thank you, and fortunate save for that family.

Harvey
SleepyC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: