The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Hull question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pura Vida

City/Region: St. Augustine
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject: Hull question Reply with quote

I'm a new owner of a 2006 25' Cruiser. She is in overall great shape, but I have been going over the boat looking for little things that may need some upkeep. I noticed a thin strip screwed into the centerline of the Hull at the bow that runs from above the waterline to several feet back along the Keel. I noticed one of the screws holding it in place is missing and the piece is a little bit loose. I have put some pictures in my photo album. I was just wondering if this piece is necessary and how I would repair it. It appears the boat has the original bottom paint and it was kept on a lift or trailer for much of its life. I hope to take a week or two trip soon along the Erie Canal(we will trailer it there) but was concerned If I should try to repair the piece prior to the trip. Thanks!
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hull question Reply with quote

Pura Vida wrote:
I'm a new owner of a 2006 25' Cruiser. She is in overall great shape, but I have been going over the boat looking for little things that may need some upkeep. I noticed a thin strip screwed into the centerline of the Hull at the bow that runs from above the waterline to several feet back along the Keel. I noticed one of the screws holding it in place is missing and the piece is a little bit loose. I have put some pictures in my photo album. I was just wondering if this piece is necessary and how I would repair it. It appears the boat has the original bottom paint and it was kept on a lift or trailer for much of its life. I hope to take a week or two trip soon along the Erie Canal(we will trailer it there) but was concerned If I should try to repair the piece prior to the trip. Thanks!

I would remove the brass strip & any broken screws then re-install with new screws & epoxy in the screw holes Thumbs Up
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pix of your Brass strip.

On the 22's there have been reports of those screws going through the hull and leaking into the space under the V-Birth. Can't say I have heard that about a 25. I agree, with repair by replacing the screw, however, I would use one that is one size larger diameter and 1/8" shorter. And use epoxy to seal it in.

Some folks have made a case for removing the strip completely and replacing it with a "Keel Guard" strip.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/megaware-keelguard--10-keelguard-protection-strip-black--P017_513_002_007

Good to see you on the site, C-Pearl is a great boat and Bob and Betsy did it well. Enjoy.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It appears the boat has the original bottom paint and it was kept on a lift or trailer for much of its life.

The original owner had no bottom paint the several times I saw the boat (but did have a satellite dish). Looking at the photo, the bottom paint has been touched up and I would guess the current coat is at least the second coat.

The question is if you want to put the missing screw in permanently or leave it so it could be removed, if you ever needed to pull the strip. My tendency would be either 5200 or 4200 for the insertion of the mission screw. There could be an argument to pull all screws, clean the holes and put all in with a dab of 4200. That is not necessary, but replacement of the missing screw is.

Enjoy Sea Pearl, she is a very good boat.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Pura Vida

City/Region: St. Augustine
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Hull question Reply with quote

Thank you for all the suggestions!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: