The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Question For Warm Climate C-Dory Owners...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Question For Warm Climate C-Dory Owners... Reply with quote

I have waited almost a year for this, and I am really excited. My wife just booked us flights so we can do the Seattle Boat Show. This will be our first look at a shiny C-Dory in all its glory. We are in deep south Texas on the Gulf, where it gets a tad warm along about August or so. Now, it's always cooler on the water, but how are you warm climate C-Dory owners keeping your boats cool? I saw that interesting thread on the Hunky-Dory in the Caymans... and we have a Honda generator. We have been sailors and haven't felt the need for A/C on any of our sailboats... but they have not been pilothouse boats with lots of windows like the CD. The boat is so cool - how are you keeping yourselves cool? TIA.

Best wishes,
James TX/SD
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James, we're on the Chesapeake, pretty warm in the summer. I find that if you Beer Beer Beer but not too much, you'll be fine.

Seriously (almost was), there are lots of little 12v fans on the market that will keep you cool and one of those awning type scoops over the front hatch will bring a lot of air into the sleeping area. Just need to rig a hanger to hold it up. On the sailboat, it wasn't a problem.

One of those A/C units would be sweet though..... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Bob Cat

City/Region: Santa Monica
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Dive Cat
Photos: Dive Cat
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,

You're really not very far from the latitudes of the Cayman Islands!

There are 3 wonderful things that stand out about this moment in human history: Fresh potable running water at your sink, indoor plumbing (with flush option), and air conditioning. That's why there's anyone down where you are anyway, right?

Having lived in Texas and Louisiana for many years, traveled the entire Gulf coast several times and worked on the waters of the Gulf of Mexico from Alabama to the Yucatan, I stronly suggest you consider the AC, especially since you have the Honda. Why are we even having the discussion? Plan for the AC.

Sorry I'll miss you at the SBS, but have a great time!

Bob Cat
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Indoor plumbing... (and an at-anchor question) Reply with quote

Indoor plumbing? Isn't that just a fad?

Lattitude 26 here - about the same as Ft. Lauderdale... without all the people, the gazillion dollar yachts, and the money to keep 'em going.

Talking with Scott today, he mentioned that plenty of C-Dory owners have come from a sailing background. I've read plenty here about the great ride these boats provide... what's it like at anchor?

Best wishes,
James TX/SD
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Indoor plumbing... (and an at-anchor question) Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
I've read plenty here about the great ride these boats provide... what's it like at anchor?
Best wishes,
James TX/SD

Answer: SLOW Wink

Sorry, James I couldn't resist this one word reply to your question. I actually haven't anchored out much, but I do know that once you get hooked on a C-Dory you'll not want another boat!

BTW, James welcome aboard! Glad you're going to make it to the Seattle Boat Show!

C-Brat #16
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At anchor or at a dock, the flat bottom of a C-Dory provides a very stable platform. In my opinion, this is where the "ride" of this hull is the best relative to say a deep V-hull. While moving in slight chop, the deep V gives a better ride.

Roger on the SeaDNA

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James-

The flat, wide bottom combined with the moderate "v" in the bow do indeed provide for a very stable ride at anchor, providing of course, that the chop and swell are reasonable.

The C-Dory rides on top and over the waves as compared to a sailboat (keelboat) that rides through them, though, so when the chop and swell get going, the surface rider will buck a bit more or so. The lack of a keel is also a factor in determining how quiet the C-Dory will ride as well when compared to a keelboat.

One other factor is the relative high windage of the C-Dory and it's relative forward center placement with the cabin. As a result, the boat tends to wander or "search' more in shifty winds. This can be somewhat controlled with side curtains on the rear canvas top to add rear windage for a more balanced linear stability, and by using an all chain rode.

There are lots of experienced sailboat folks here, and we have a special understanding to share with each other and all the rest of our friends.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
SKIP

City/Region: HIAWASSEE
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: HUNKY DORY
Photos: HUNKY DORY
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I haven't read your inquiry much earlier;I'm not a regular on this site, although I need to be. We are in Central Florida, along the Atlantic Coast. It gets pretty warm here in summers, no doubt. With the forward window open, and the door open, cruising is comfortable. At night, the 12v fans help, if staying onboard. We do not have A/C. If you haven't ordered yet, definitely get the opening forword window, and the screen for the door. Add fans in the cabin and v-berth, if possible. Hope this helps.

Gary Lee/Hunky Dory
captainriver@juno.com
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air conditioning on a C-Dory just got a lot easier with the application of this smallish unit that will run off the Honda 1000i by Craig of the Hunky Dory / Cayman Islands.

I can survive in Northern California with 90-110 degree dry heat and fresh water with the liberal use of fans and a freqeuent dunking overboard. The nights do cool off reasonably to about 70 degrees, and I hesitate to add one more system that takes up permanent space, as there's just so much room aboard a 22.

However, I wouldn't hesitate at all to add the AC unit if I operated in warm tropical salt waters with high humidity and especially if planning on sleeping aboard. It would be the sine quo non of making the C-Dory comfortably usable under those conditions. CoolSmile

Joe.
Stanley-J

City/Region: Highland, NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Plan- B
Photos: Stanley-J
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: on board gen Reply with quote

I just purchased a new Honda EU-3000 for $1400. I know it may be a bit overkill but I couldn't pass up the savings. It's Db rating is between 48 and 54 and I can plug my shore power cord right into the unit. On the negative side it weighs about 134 lbs (if I remember right) but with only my wife and I on board I'm not too concern. We live in the North East and always have power outages during the winter so the generator is a major plus here to.
I plan on purchasing a A/C roof top unit like used on RV ( unless someone has a better suggestion)
This generator is unbeliably quiet.
We had a Tayana 37 for about 10 years and just sold it this past fall. Health problems made it rough to maintain. We had been looking at the CD-25's since 2003 and are looking forward to doing a lot of traveling with it accross the US as did the previous owners did. The generator will be very helpful to keeping my wife "Happy" need I say more.

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck, I would think that the little marine unit that Hunky Dory in the Caymens just put in would be far superior to the roof unit. You don't wanna look like a "camper".

Charlie
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I would not discount the value of window shades to cut down on the greenhouse effect. I never thougth we'd use ours, but they are invaluable.
Al

Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck-

One more thing-

When adding a heater or air conditioner to a boat the size of a C-Dory, it's important not to have such an oversize unit that it has to cycle on and off constantly which will happen if the output is over sized for the small volume of the cabin.

This happens when a Toyotomi, Webasto, or Espar diesel forced air heating unit is installed on a 22 or even a 25, for instance.

Best to have a heater or AC unit that can be "ON" constantly with the rate adjusted down to match the need, rather to cycle on and off every 5 minutes or so.

The unit Charlie mentions is about 5.5-6.5 thousand BTU's (2 models), while most RV units are about 13,000 BTUs. They do, however, have a high and low setting, and, fortunately, a thermostat. They can also be equipped with a 6-7,000 BTU heat strip for heating, which is a real advantage!

I'd suggest you take a close look at that RV AC unit's BTU capacity and how the blower and refrigeration functions operate to see if it can be throttled down to avoid constant on/off cycling, which you'll also notice as the load cycles up and down on your generator.

My $0.02!!! Good Luck! Joe.
The Fran Sea

City/Region: St Petersburg FL
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: The Fran Sea
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James, having just survived one of the hottest summers in Florida's recent history, I can tell you that our C-Dory with an aft bimini is a vast improvement over our 22' Chris Craft walk around in the summer sun and heat. With all windows and hatches open, it's quite comfortable without air conditioning! Like they say, a small fan helps, but we haven't even felt the need for that, I guess because we're on the coast and always have a nice breeze.

We have more problems with the "no see em's" then the heat, but then Rich on the "Don Quoite" told us how to solve that problem. From the inside, spray the screens with bug juice. The first time we did that at the Chesapeake Gathering, in the morning the deck under the window was BLACK with "no see ems" WHICH WERE NOW "SEE EMS". Smile

Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck-

Two more thoughts about the RV AC unit, which I've considered before as a choice for the CD-22, prior to the latest developments:

The standard RV AC unit weighs about 110 lbs, which does not preclude its use on the cabin top, but the weight would definitely have some effect on the rolling motion of the boat when placed at that height.

The other thought is that the air volume of the typical RV unit is quite high, even on low, and might be a bit much with the low roof of the boat and small cabin.

None of these or the other factors above preclude the use of the RV unit on a C-Dory, but are just factors to consider when weighing the various choices available.

Joe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: