The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Your Experiences - single with kicker | single w/o kicker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crowleykirk

City/Region: Friday Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2020
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Life
Photos: C-Life
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: The 15hp a mute point.... Reply with quote

Only comes in a tiller.

Yes, totally agree, I'd use it almost every trip out. Gotta run anything mechanical.

I was a diesel tech many moons ago, certified my Ford, CAT, Cummins, Onan and Borg Warne, among others. We were the Ford Lehman dealer in Newport Beach. What i realized is a lot of people don't use their large boats. They would sit there and rot basically and then when they went to use them nothing but issues.

Most of our loyal customers were on our preventative maintenance program for just this reason. We are on the boat ever 2 months with a different service each time and the regular checks. We'd even take them out often on the owners request and always ran everything for awhile at the dock.

Even had a few customers that wanted us to take their Grand Banks boats over to Catalina for a get together and they would fly over.... go figure:-(
Sure, I'll take your million dollar boat out... was a great time for a young man:-)

robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

My experience is that even if you a have a 9 hp kicker, and the boat has a larger motor on it--that boat will not be allowed into a lake with less than 10 hp restrictions.

Bob; I rarely disagree with your advice, but that was not my experience when I still had the 9.9 on the C-Dory, as I launched several times in 10 hp-restricted lakes, and recent experience shows the electric gives even more options for lake fishing with my 22...here was what I found for Idaho fishing recently...

Question: If the gas motor is not started or used on the lake. Can the boat be used on the lake with a electric motor?
Answer: Yes, as per Page 50 of the fishing regulations, "When fishing waters listed --electric motors only-- gas (internal combustion) motors may be attached to the boat; but use of the gas motor is prohibited. Good Luck fishing

Another positive aspect of the versatility of an electric "kicker", depending on how you plan to use your C-Dory? Not for all people, obviously. You can't beat a gasoline kicker for getting you back long-distance at hull speed, but I never used mine for that and I believe many C-Dory owners would get more use out of an electric, particularly on the bow. People tend to like what they have. I liked the 9.9 before I had experience with the electric. Now I see little use for the 9.9, though I might put it back on if I go tuna fishing off the coast.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with restricted reservoirs was in Calif. They did not want any gas motor on their lake...period. It will vary from location to location and what the regulations are. But I would always check before giving cart blanch advice.

Definitely if you are going offshore, have a gas kicker with separate fuel and way to start the engine manually...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around where I live, you cannot have an engine mounted that exceeds the HP limit. It's all well and good that you have a 9.9 kicker, but that 90HP motor mounted next to it will disqualify you. Apparently they don't trust you to only use the 9.9 engine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: