hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, stuff it with moth balls, or Bounce Dryer sheets and, I think, I would put the OB's down in the vertical position. Less chance of having retained water on board -- freeze issues.

I would also put some ventilation in the cabin. I use a couple of "Turbo Dryer" fans from West Marine. It adds a tiny bit of heat and good air circulation. Equals about a 120 Watt light bulb, total.

And I use BatteryMinder maintenance trickle chargers, one to each battery. They do desulfication when it is needed.

Sure looks like it does a good job of covering.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

itiming

City/Region: Iron River
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Obsession
Photos: Obsession
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the help/suggestions for protecting the boat over winter. For now, we are using the cover to keep the sun and pine needles off the boat, but still using it on Lake Superior -- when fall winds/weather allow.

When we move to indoor storage, do you suggest using this full cover? The boat also has a canvas cockpit cover.

We do have easy access to the boat, so we plan to plug in the batteries and run fans (installed in the berth and the cabin) periodically through the winter.

Rodents are plentiful here. In addition to moth balls and dryer sheets, we have had deterrent success using Fresh Cab (balsam fir oil based), Grandpa Gus's (peppermint/cinnamon oil doused pouches), and homemade peppermint doused cotton balls. None of these have been 100%, though.

Yes, we will lower the motors during storage. We also have to lower them when reloading onto the trailer to help prevent invasive species transport. We are thinking that removing the cushions before storage would provide insurance against them being damaged by rodents/moisture. We have dried out the 230 ft of anchor rode - that could be removed, but more work.

My fall back winterization plan is to hook the boat up to the motorhome and head to see the grandkids in Washington state, then head south till spring up north. Still lobbying to get that one approved.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itiming wrote:
...Rodents are plentiful here. In addition to moth balls and dryer sheets, we have had deterrent success using Fresh Cab (balsam fir oil based), Grandpa Gus's (peppermint/cinnamon oil doused pouches), and homemade peppermint doused cotton balls. None of these have been 100%, though.

My boat is stored outside of the winter. We have left the cushions in during storage. There have been invaders, but they used the bathing towels for a nest and not the cushions. There was regularly evidence of intruders and animals on deck.

We put bronze wool around the cables where they enter the cabin and the battery compartment (starboard lazerette on my boat). Also the anchor hawser hole. The bronze wool is held in place with duct tape.

As time has gone on we have stepped up the anti pest measures. In the cabin we put Fresh Cab cachets and dryer sheets around and in all the compartments. On the outside under the cover we put small mesh bags with moth balls around the exterior of the boat. Also, but some under the back where the fuel tanks are. Last year this seemed to be quite effective. There was no evidence of invaders even though the boat was stored a couple of months longer than usual because of Covid.

On note, if the interior of the cabin gets too warm (e.g. sitting in the sun in the spring) the dryer sheets start to do their work like in a clothes dryer and start to melt. This can lead to the sheet getting stuck to stuff and leaving a residue behind when it is removed. On hard surfaces, the residue comes off with a solvent like alcohol. The residue might be hard to get off soft surfaces like cushions.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over winter, when I stored the boat outdoors, (1 season), I took the cushions out. Now that it is indoors and secure, I leave the cushions in, but lift them and place some of the large pool noodles (4" diameter) under them to allow air flow around the cushion.

The boat gets wiped down clean with a vinegar solution in the fall, and then again in the spring. Keeps it fresh, no mildew or mold stuff.

The turbo dehydrator fans run full time, as do the BatteryMinders.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: