The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Dang CD25 Fresh Water System

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Dang CD25 Fresh Water System Reply with quote

In our 2005 CD Cruiser, the water tank is under the vee-berth encased in foam. One line runs along the port side to the water pump and then to where the hot water heater formerly was (we removed it) and then I took the line that came into the water heater, and teed or Y'd it to the hot and a cold water lines. These lines then sort of disappear not to appear again until they come out under the galley sink. I think this is a correct description but if I am off, please correct me, I am not looking at it at the moment.

Before our recent five day crabbing trip to Decatur Island, I filled the water tank the day before. Later that day there were a couple of inches of water on the cabin floor. This was all gravity, the water pump was never turned on. I took care of it with a wet - dry vacuum and started looking for where the water was coming out. I could not find it. I assume since the hose is braided, it was not a hose failure but a connection, maybe a hose clamp had come off. I am without a clue where to look now, and any advice anyone has about where (and HOW) would be greatly appreciated. Our Reliance 7 gallon water containers are cool but we would like to be able use the galley sink again!

Thanks!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

Since our boats are essentially "sister ships", I might have some useful info for you. Since I've owned the boat, I've had trouble with fresh water leaking onto the cabin sole. Sometimes it's an irritation since it soaks the carpet, but other times have been bad (where I had to Shopvac out 3 or 4 inches of water off the floor.

Here's some things I've learned:

I put in a shut off value in the locker under the settee after the tank but before anything else. This way I can isolate the tank. This proved to me that the tank and its connections were not the problem (whew!). You could accomplish the same thing temporarily with some sort of clamp or vise grips.

I once found a leaking tee under the galley because the fitting was installed too close to the bulkhead, and as the boat flexed, that fitting would leak (this took a long time to find).

Just this year I re-plumbed much of what was under the galley including extending the 1/2" line with a butt connector so that the pressure was off that bulkhead fitting. Now I have ZERO problems.

It can be tough to find the leak since the hard chines in the boat's hull create these "channels" longitudinally along the sides of the boat. The water can leak in one place, run along those "channels", and show up at a completely different spot.

One "trick" is that I used to hear the main water pump run for a second or two a few times a day. I thought that was normal. It is not. Now that I have all hose clamps well tightened down and that design flaw fixed, the pump never runs. Indeed, I can leave the boat for 3 days and when I turn on the water pressure switch, even then it doesn't run at all. IOW, if everything is tight, you should lose no pressure in the fresh water system even over days.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat
The lines run from where the water tank was, to under the aft hanging locker (the plywood floor lifts up there so you can access it. Then under the "step" as you come in--into the "Black hole" under where the head is located. It emerges outboard or from under the head to under the galley. There should be no fittings under the head...you hope.

I would start tracing the hose. Where is your water pump?

In my current 25, there were duplications of the pipe lines for cold and hot water from the tank. I don't believe that was present in the earlier boats. Look for loose hose clamps.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the shower tee. The fitting was sort of hodge-podged together. Journey On's leaked and I replaced them. They go from a USA hose fitting to a metric.

Those fittings are under the stove up against the aft bulkhead. Hard to reach and see.

Boris
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your advice. This weekend is my time to delve in as deeply as I can!
Catch 22

City/Region: Lynnwood
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Catch 22
Photos: Catch 22
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the entire system in my 2005 a few months ago, including cutting open the v-birth and cleaning the tank and replacing the lines in there. I have a good mental map of the entire system. PM me if you would like to discuss, I can give you my phone number...
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catch 22 wrote:
I replaced the entire system in my 2005 a few months ago, including cutting open the v-birth and cleaning the tank and replacing the lines in there. I have a good mental map of the entire system. PM me if you would like to discuss, I can give you my phone number...

Thanks, Kevin. I will PM you, and probably will call. I got some good advice from Tosca (smckean) that I want to try before I do anything as drastic as cutting open the vee-berth though!
Catch 22

City/Region: Lynnwood
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Catch 22
Photos: Catch 22
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck. The main reason we cut open the v-birth is that the boat we bought had sat for ten years, presumably with some water in the tank. The tank looked pretty good and we cleaned it thoroughly. The surprise was the filler hose and main hose to the water pump we completely black with mold. There would be no way to fix that without cutting it open and replacing them. I want to be able to drink the water on longer trips. The system over all is very simple once you have traced everything...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: