The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Tomcat: Upgrade, downgrade or just different?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Starbucks

City/Region: Tacoma
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: Captain Starbucks
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Tomcat: Upgrade, downgrade or just different? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Some of you may remember me from boat shopping here 6-7 years ago. I never ended up buying a C-Dory but am considering one again.

I currently own a Shamrock Mackinaw 270. It's been a great boat, fishes well, fishes a lot of people, exceptional fuel economy and turn of speed. Handles the big water. My only issue with it is this: I now have a 3 year old and 5 year old. They both want to go with me on my Sekiu trips and I'd like to take them and sleep on the boat. I just need another person to help out which means I need sleeping accommodations for 2 kids and 2 adults. Preferably 3 kids 2 adults. Wife likes to fish, but always appreciates a break!

After using my 270 for the last 5 years, I can see how I use the boat. It's mostly in the ocean chasing tuna, ling, hali, salmon. I usually spend the night on the boat either at the dock or anchored up. I am also ready to explore the West coast of Vancouver Island even further north.

Having kids, I like the idea of 2 engines. Funny how priorities change when you think of keeping little ones safe!

Wife says must have cabin.

We're currently considering Albin 28 or 31. As much as I love the 31, don't want to commit to port or moorage. 28 is a lot of boat. A lot of value. Mine doesn't have a kicker and I'm tired of diesel smoke.

Also considering Aspen 28 but few and far between and not much cockpit. Of course the wife loves it. And yes, I'm the guy who'd get tuna blood all over it.

So, would the Tomcat, despite its slightly shorter length and beam be a better boat for what I do? I see 3 kids in the berth, the long dad on the floor and the short dad on the dinette. Shallow draft to explore, fuel efficient, fast, stable, warm. Smaller cockpit than what I want but we can't have it all.

Tuna runs as you know are very heavy, but I generally draw the line at 20 fish. That's more than I want to process the next day anyways so I think the Tomcat has adequate fish storage.

Thanks all!

Rob in Tacoma

1996 20' Wooldridge Xtra Plus - Sold 2012
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can definitely sleep 3 kids in the berth. Also on the port side you can have an extra cushion made that sits on the foot rest and (if you wish) an extension platform that you can fab to fit across the entire aft end of the birth. That allows even tall people to sleep in the berth oriented fore-to-aft. The dinette only comfortably sleeps one adult and even then the adult should be less than about 5'10". Sleeping in the aisleway seems like a non-starter to me as anyone who needs access to the head will need to walk across you and get you to move to open the door to the head. It would be easier to sleep the other person in the cockpit with a camper back. So sleeping 5 on the boat is tough but it can be done if you really need to. A camper back would make that much easier. Other than that aspect, it meets the rest of the criteria. Seaworthy, good for long tuna runs, etc. Holding 20 tuna is definitely doable but depending on size and how much ice you put it, you can only get about 4-6 tuna in per fish box. A couple of kill bags or large igloo coolers and it's easy to get 20 on board (i've done that on our boat). Of course sleeping 5 people on the evening prior to a tuna trip is nearly impossible unless you plan on loading the ice and coolers/kill bags on board in the early AM as all of that stuff takes up space.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Roger notes, I had a cushion made for the footwell in front of the dinette, and slept for and aft. My daughter and two kids could still comfortably sleep athwartshps in the forward bunk of the Tom Cat.

Roger can tell you better how the Tom Cat handles the rough seas in off the coast of WA. The low tunnel clearance, can be an issue, with some of the higher chop we see in the Gulf of Mexico.

Fishing: a couple of people in the cockpit-probably an outside station helps there .

Agree, I would don't sleep in the aisle.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: TC255 not for you Reply with quote

Hello Rob!

I defer to Roger’s immense expertise on all things regarding fishing and running a TC255 in your area, and agree with all his observations re the TC255.

Eileen and I think the TC255 is an ideal couples cruising pocket yacht that is trailerable anywhere in the continent 24/7 without an over-wide permit from each and every state you tow through. That is a niche only a very few other large trailer boats can claim.

However, it appears to us that the ability for you to trailer your boat to (for instance) Quebec’s waterways is not a priority for you or your Admiral. It was to us on last year’s Triangle Loop adventure.

Your over-wide Shamrock (9.5 foot beam) in pics I can pull up looks bigger and wider and longer than the TC255, and with a bigger cockpit as well.

I’m as enthusiastic as they come regarding the TC255 mission statement as one of the best trailerable pocket yachts (with a production ¾ ton diesel 4WD pickup truck of your choice) out there. But that does not seem to be your priority.

Of the last 499 posters thinking about buying a TC255, I advocated it each and every time. Now you have spoiled my record, 499/500. Damn.

Look into a camper canvas over your existing cockpit for extra sleeping arrangements. Kids will think it’s a camping out adventure.

PM me if I’m missing something re your desires.

Best,
John

westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob:
I'm in a similar search mode. As we considered the Shamrock 27, I seem to remember reading an excellent forum review. Was that from you? If so, thanks much; it crossed the Shamrock off the list for us but was incredibly well presented.

If it's in the budget look at the Aspen C100. A lot more $$ than the C90 but it is one fine boat.

I know the Tomcat is much more affordable to buy, and even to trailer/store, and that some on this forum regularly take them out tuna fishing off the WA coast. I'll bet it would work just fine, and could readily be re-sold if not. My wife and I are personally sick of banging so the low-to-the-water platform concerns me.

Best of luck in your search.
Captain Starbucks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies here and the private messages of catamarans for sale.

Rogerbum, how well does your boat really handle the typical PNW North-South-Easter swell, secondary swell, chop that we get out in our ocean?

Westward, yes, that was my review. I saw your post this morning and re-read my review. I still stand by it. Tremendous boat. I've even had friend of mine who does carpentry spend the night on the hook with me one night. He sat there and tried to come up with a solution to sleep another, but nope. Camperback is probably the best solution, but not my first choice. What was it about the Shamrock 270 that changed your mind?

I agree on the C-100. Wife asked me the ol' "if money was no object" scenario and the C-100 is hands down the winner.

Not a lot of info on the Arrow Cat 30's. Any opinions on that? Still far from cheap but appears to do it all. I try to avoid buying overseas products, but sometimes you have to make exceptions I guess. It would be previously owned.

You are all a very friendly group. Thanks again.

Rob in Tacoma
rogerbum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Starbucks wrote:
Thanks for the replies here and the private messages of catamarans for sale.

Rogerbum, how well does your boat really handle the typical PNW North-South-Easter swell, secondary swell, chop that we get out in our ocean?

Westward, yes, that was my review. I saw your post this morning and re-read my review. I still stand by it. Tremendous boat. I've even had friend of mine who does carpentry spend the night on the hook with me one night. He sat there and tried to come up with a solution to sleep another, but nope. Camperback is probably the best solution, but not my first choice. What was it about the Shamrock 270 that changed your mind?

I agree on the C-100. Wife asked me the ol' "if money was no object" scenario and the C-100 is hands down the winner.

Not a lot of info on the Arrow Cat 30's. Any opinions on that? Still far from cheap but appears to do it all. I try to avoid buying overseas products, but sometimes you have to make exceptions I guess. It would be previously owned.

You are all a very friendly group. Thanks again.

Rob in Tacoma

I've fished the Tomcat in the ocean since I bought it - I think my first fishing season with it was 2011. I usually fish out of Neah Bay in late June - early/mid Aug. and Ilwaco there after. We've been every place from 80 miles off at Barkley Canyon to Swiftsure, Blue Dot, and well offshore out of both Ilwaco and Westport. If you can stand up to fish, the boat can manage. In general, the boat can handle far more ocean than I can. I've been across the Columbia River bar in it probably >100 times. When the wind waves are <2-3' and the swell is widely spaced, I can cruise to the W at about 25kts and to the E at about 30-35kt (usually don't wish to burn the fuel associated with the higher speeds though). When it gets a bit more sloppy - 3-5' waves, we'll be slowed down to 10-14kts.

In following seas it's not too bad and perhaps a bit more friendly than a similar size or slightly larger monohull if you bury the nose coming down the front side of a swell (which you shouldn't do...). Having the twin widely spaced hulls makes it a little less prone to having the stern swing around on you in such conditions. That said, in big enough seas, you can certainly get yourself in trouble if you want to. As other have noted, it would be good if the tunnel were a bit deeper as it's possible to "sneeze" in waves of about 3'. You get more tunnel height the faster you run and there are times when you get a smoother ride at 25kts than you do at 20kts.
crowleykirk

City/Region: Friday Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2020
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Life
Photos: C-Life
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:13 am    Post subject: Oh man.. the Aspen rears it’s head again.... Reply with quote

We’re in the same boat. Been looking at C-Dory for years and finally spent some time on C-Sharp this season, awesome boat for sure but we (the wife) would like something bigger.

I have followed the Aspen much longer than I have followed the C-Dory boats.

I warn you not to sea trail an Aspen:-) My wife is now looking for a new husband:-) It’s was a dream boat for sure. If I could buy one boat at that size.... it would be an Aspen.

But back to reality and I’m trying to warm her up to the 23 Venture or C25.

Getting a sea trial on a C-Dory is near impossible unless you know someone with the boat you want to look at. They are very rarely sitting on a lot to view.

Be very curious what boat you decide on. Good luck:-)

I really, really want o sea trial a 23, a 25, a 26 and a Tomcat. But I know that won’t happen.

Thank you C-Brats for the extensive information. One might have to make a buying decision solely based off of the research and feedback they get here and live with the choice.

Captain Starbucks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will keep you posted, but whatever it is, it will have a massive cockpit and have good seakeeping abilities on the big water.

C100 fits the bill, but won't be able to afford that for another decade or so if ever.

If you did happen to read my review on the Shamrock Mackinaw 270, I mentioned that one of my favorite attributes of my current boat is that you can troll 4 rods and reel fish right up to the back of the boat and net them while maintaining troll. Tuna I can fight fish 270 degrees from the boat with nothing to get in the way, not even a swim step on my boat. Shrimping, crabbing there is a very large deck to store gear, sort, and fiddle with line.

As much as I've always had a crush on the Tomcat, I just don't think it has the real estate in back I need. Same with the C-90. Amazing rig, but I am a fisherman.

I'll let you all know but don't hold your breath....

Rob
crowleykirk

City/Region: Friday Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2020
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Life
Photos: C-Life
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Hey Bob, Reply with quote

You it’s not easy deciding on a boat and within your budget.
I haven’t been on a Tomcat, I’d like to for sure but it’s not really on my radar.

I guess I feel if I could afford that maybe a little more and could find a used Aspen. I’m with you, just don’t see the Aspen happening but man, sure fell in love with it.

We are big on fishing yet but maybe that’s in the future but for us that would not be the priority as it is with you.

I hope you find the perfect fishing rig no matter what it is but yeah, keep us posted, weather it’s a C-Dory or not.

I consider myself lucky to be looking and for my wife wanting a boat as well.
rogerbum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Bob, Reply with quote

crowleykirk wrote:
<stuff clipped>.

And if the wife didn't want a boat, you could look for both a new boat and a new wife simultaneously - at least that's how some guys might play it.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Bob, Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
crowleykirk wrote:
<stuff clipped>.

And if the wife didn't want a boat, you could look for both a new boat and a new wife simultaneously - at least that's how some guys might play it.

It is far cheaper to buy the most expensive of boats rather than a new wife! I always seek wife approval on any boat we own. It has worked well for over 43 years.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Loved One should also choose the tow truck (Eileen chose the F250 Lariat Diesel 4WD), and Marie chose the F250 also.

It's always good to marry a Smart Woman who likes big trucks!
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: