The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bleed Baystar Steering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curioustraveler

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
Photos: Curioustraveler
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Bleed Baystar Steering Reply with quote

Hello all,

I just replace my steering system seals due to a leak. Now I'm having trouble finding the thread with simple instructions on how to bleed the system. I thought someone provided instructions, with no special equipment, just open the bleed valves, turn the wheel one way, and then the other. I can't find these instructions now.

Can someone describe how to bleed the system? Do I need to bleed it or can I just add fluid back in to the reservoir to replace what leaked out?

Thanks
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the procedure I used when I bleed the steering on Journey On:

Bleeding hydraulic steering.

Included is a discussion of which hydraulic fluid to use.

Good luck, Boris
curioustraveler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Boris. Yours is the one I was able to find. I don't have a "bleeder" though.

I purchased the tube that connects to the fluid bottle and filler opening on the helm. I swear there were instructions somewhere about simply opening the bleeder valves at the motor, turning the helm one way and then the other. Hoping I'm not mistaken...I want to get back out on the water tomorrow!

Only maybe 1/4 cup of fluid leaked out when I changed the seals. If that. Do I need to bleed or can I just top off the fluid?
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can turn the motor lock to lock and not have it hesitate you should be good. If it hesitates you need to bleed it. There are pictures in my album of how I set mine up.
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Upgrades&id=IMG_0118&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before opening any bleeders, turn your outboard full to starboard. Open up the starboard side bleeder. With the tube and fluid connected to the helm's fill hole, slowly turn your wheel to port until you don't see any more air coming out. Close the bleeder, and continue turning your outboard fully to port. Open the port bleeder and slowly turn your wheel to the starboard until no more air comes out. Close the bleeder. That should do it. Make sure the fluid is within 1/4" of the bottom of the threads in the fill hole. Another method is to put a clear line between both bleeders. That way is pushing the air back to the helm and when you get air coming back up in your fill line, continue until you don't get anymore air. Other than that, there are plenty of articles you can google for Bleeding SeaStar Helms. As for fluid, I use Aeroshell 41. It was listed as an alternate at one time, but I see SeaStar now wants only their fluid used. I was reading on the Hull Truth and other places were folks are using any old ATF. I'm not ready to go there yet. A gallon of Aeroshell 41 can be bought for the same price as a quart of SeaStar hydraulic fluid. You can find it online or at many airports FBO's. (Fixed base operators...general aviation.) Colby
curioustraveler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Think I got it. I may try just topping it off (within 1/4" of threads) and see how smoothly it steers. If there's any hesitation then I'll bleed it per Colby's directions.

Appreciate the help.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is are a number of videos online on how to do it.

The one I did was to have an open reservoir (Baystar fluid bottle with the bottom cut off) connected to the filler port on the helm unit. You connect a line to each side of the cylinder at the engine and join them in a Y going back to the fill reservoir at the helm. Put some fluid in the reservoir. Turn the motor to one side and block it in place. Open the bleed port on the compressed end, then turn the helm wheel to turn the motor to the other side (it can't go because it is blocked). Keep turning until there are no more bubbles in the return line to the helm reservoir. Any bubbles that come back are released in the open reservoir. Close the open bleeder, turn the motor to the other side and block it in place. Open the bleeder on the compressed side and turn the helm as before. When all the air is out, close bleeders and make sure the helm reservoir is full (it should be).

All done.
drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a new steering system in our 22 over the winter and used this system to bleed it after install. It worked like a charm and is easy for one person to do without spilling or wasting any fluid. My new Baystar system came with 2 quarts of their expensive fluid, as they figure some will be wasted doing it the way their instructions read. Using this system I filled it completely with just one quart and that includes extra lines for our auto pilot.
you just attach your fill bottle to the helm pump and then connect the jumper hose to both bleed valves open them up and start turning the wheel. the air works it's way to the bottle as it fills the system. worked like a charm for me doing it as a one person operation. I keep it in the boat now. dosen't take much room and if necessary I can easily bleed it while on the water.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SB1KCMS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

curioustraveler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced the seals and bled the lines. Seemed to work. Was out for a few hours today everything worked smoothly. Thanks for the directions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: