The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

2006 Honda 50s won’t run well over 3.5-4K RPMs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Learo2000GT

City/Region: Tacoma
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: 2006 Honda 50s won’t run well over 3.5-4K RPMs. Reply with quote

Good Morning.

I have a 2006 venture 23 and have used c-brats in the past but somehow my old user ID won’t work or reset so hence first post.

Anyway, I have dual Honda 50s and I am planning on getting it around to sell, but I am having difficulty with it running efficiently above 4000k rpms. The boat sat for a few years with old fuel (although it had sea foam and stabilizer), so my first course of action was to remove all the old fuel and chance the water separator and internal fuel filters on each motor. I did see a noticeable improvement in the motor running more smoothly but still couldn’t get the boat to get up on a plane and run efficiently above 4K RPMS.

These motors are Carbureted And I am thinking I need to clean them out as a next course of action. I was also going to check fuel flow up to the carbs to make sure I have sufficient fuel flow but being it’s on both motors I am think that’s not the problem. My question is this. Is there a way to try and clean the carbs without removal. I saw some YouTube videos about running sea foam in highly concentrated portable tank, cleaning ports with break fluid or carb cleaner but YouTube videos make me a bit nervous.

Also-Motors have 350 hours and we’re serviced last year but never had a chance to use the boat and I was didn’t have marine fuel in the boat.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you Doug

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug,

Concentrated fuel cleaner in a small tank absolutely can work - and you will not hurt the engines doing this since there will be little load on them assuming you are doing it out of the water in a run tank. I'd do an oil change after you do it though since some of the cleaner probably will get past the rings and into the oil thus diluting it somewhat. Many small engines have ran like crud and this fixed it with no harm done.

However, I'm not completely sure you have a carb issue. Since you already changed out fuel filters....check your spark plugs - these can cause this for sure! And if they look like they have been running lean, it is because they have been and now you can focus on fuel. I'd also check compression on each engine since the plugs are now already out just to see what they have. They may be just fine, but one can chase this for a long time if you don't know that you have good compression. I'd also check out how many volts you have - if you don't have good voltage at each engine, don't expect a hot spark. I'd also check fuel pressure too at some point to make sure those pumps are doing their job.

Other than fuel, spark, and compression, these are really pretty simple little engines that last and last. I know I pointed you in a number of directions, but your engines must have good compression, hot spark, and adequate fuel to deliver full power. I hope it is something simple for you. Smile
No Worries

City/Region: South Puget Sound
Vessel Name: No Worries
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks T R. That does help a lot. I am down to the marina now and will pull the plugs, check voltage and check to see if I am getting good fuel flow at the carbs. Then I will try the sea foam and let some of the concentration sit in there over night as well and report back tommroow. I will also check the ignition coils and such. Thanks so much for the path of troubleshooting. I was also reading there might be 2 internal fuel filters or a screen or somthing? I changed the one filter that’s visible inside the motor case but is there a second internal fuel filter seperate from the fuel Separator filter which is external? Thanks so much. Do you happen to have a manual so I’ll check that out as well. Greatly appreciate the guidance
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to fill the carburetors with a carburetor cleaner, such as "Gum out Carb cleaner". Fill the bowls from the drain up (drain the fuel out, then squirt the pressure can long red tube into the carbs until they are full. That should work its way up into the jets. There may be some crud there which may not be dislodged, but worth a try.

What T.R.Bauer recommends is excellent also.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
No Worries

City/Region: South Puget Sound
Vessel Name: No Worries
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I like to fill the carburetors with a carburetor cleaner, such as "Gum out Carb cleaner". Fill the bowls from the drain up (drain the fuel out, then squirt the pressure can long red tube into the carbs until they are full. That should work its way up into the jets. There may be some crud there which may not be dislodged, but worth a try.

What T.R.Bauer recommends is excellent also.

Thanks so much for the insight... I ran it yesterday with the concentrate and am letting it sit for 48 hours and if that doesn't work I will give your recommendation ago...I was reading somewhere that carb cleaner could be to strong and to use brake cleaner but you answered the question for me....

Thanks so much your help is greatly appreciated.

I will report back shortly.....

Doug
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 2006 Honda 50s won’t run well over 3.5-4K RPMs. Reply with quote

Learo2000GT wrote:
Good Morning.

I have a 2006 venture 23 and have used c-brats in the past but somehow my old user ID won’t work or reset so hence first post.

Anyway, I have dual Honda 50s and I am planning on getting it around to sell, but I am having difficulty with it running efficiently above 4000k rpms. The boat sat for a few years with old fuel (although it had sea foam and stabilizer), so my first course of action was to remove all the old fuel and chance the water separator and internal fuel filters on each motor. I did see a noticeable improvement in the motor running more smoothly but still couldn’t get the boat to get up on a plane and run efficiently above 4K RPMS.

These motors are Carbureted And I am thinking I need to clean them out as a next course of action. I was also going to check fuel flow up to the carbs to make sure I have sufficient fuel flow but being it’s on both motors I am think that’s not the problem. My question is this. Is there a way to try and clean the carbs without removal. I saw some YouTube videos about running sea foam in highly concentrated portable tank, cleaning ports with break fluid or carb cleaner but YouTube videos make me a bit nervous.

Also-Motors have 350 hours and we’re serviced last year but never had a chance to use the boat and I was didn’t have marine fuel in the boat.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you Doug

Don't use Brake cleaner on anything running, it gives off phosgene gas (you know gas chamber stuff) when it burns Thumbs Up Ok if carbs are disassembled & parts are drying before running.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he said.....People die using brake clean when they use it to clean metal and then weld. It is very dangerous stuff when burned and a little of that gas is lethal. Just be careful - as usual Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: