The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Rebuilding Seastar HH5271-3 Helm Pump
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Rebuilding Seastar HH5271-3 Helm Pump Reply with quote

C-Traveler had a bit of an issue with it's steering in that turning to starboard, if turning the wheel rather slowly, nothing would happen. Turn it a little faster and it would catch and move the outboard. Turning to port worked fine. I thought it might just be air in the system, however after installing the autopilot and insuring I bled the system properly, I still had the same problem. Also the autopilot seems to wonder about 30 degrees to maintain heading. Yet the cockpit helm appeared to work fine. I pulled the cabin helm and checked the over pressure check valves. One of them appeared to have the spring in backwards, so I reinstalled it and went back out to the lake. Same issue. Just decided to buy a new helm pump and installed that the other day. Boat is at the Bimini shop now but I'm hoping when I get it back in a few days, and take it back out to the lake, all works well. In the mean time I tore the old helm pump apart and have the HS 5176 Seal Kit on order. Should be here in the next day or two. I probably should have taken more photos, but am starting to forget which way some of the internal springs and tiny metal balls came out. Also two of the valves were not screwed all the way into the bottom of their seats, and I just read on Hull truth they are not suppose to be.... I'll probably be trying to get a hold of SeaStar to see if they'll give me some technical assistance on that, and also to see if they can get me an exploded view of the helm pumps internal components. But I'm wondering if anyone here has rebuilt these before and have any information they can share. Would be nice to get this old pump back together properly and have it for a spare. BTW, I've done some exhaustive searching on the internet and youtube without much luck. There are a few videos on rebuilds, but they don't go into enough detail. Same with any diagrams I've found. If I think about it, I should document this project as I continue with many photos of my own! Colby
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to rebuild hydraulic pumps and motors all the time things that were running 24 seven usually just a seal kit would be more than enough to get it working again seems like the pump for the steering would last a long long time when you consider how much work is actually doing. They should have an exploded view of the pump They might not want to let it out of there sight sort of like the fittings on the ends of their hoses the hydraulic shop told me that they couldn’t get them. You might want to check with them and see if they have a rebuilt pump and a core charge for the old one.

jkidd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I do a search looks like $180 plus freight and one to two days turn around.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I may be ok. Looking at stuff and thinking about it, there seems to be a logical way for which way the springs and balls go back in. I have been taking pictures and will post all when done. I had found some rebuild links earlier for around $250, however decided to go the new route. Then rather than tossing the old or spending more to have it rebuilt commercially figured I’d just buy an inexpensive seal kit and see if I could repair it to keep as a spare. Some other issues with why I also didn’t choose to send the old unit in for a rebuild. While the -3 requires ORB fittings someone had forced the older 1/4 NPT fittings in it. -5 ORB have a 1/2-20 thread but I was able to retap to clean the threads back up. The boat only has 274 hrs on it so didnt get much use. I see more problems from lack of use!
jkidd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you should have a nice boat when your all done. Not very many hours.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of a shame to see nice boats that don't get used. I'll probably double those hours by next summer. Even the tilt and trim creaked when I first picked it up. Those crickets are already worked out! The good news is, the motor seems to be working fine. And I've heard the Yamaha 150 is a great motor! The steering pump is the most expensive flaw I've found. But with high use I expect the new one to last a long time. Colby
WeekiTiki

City/Region: Weeki Wachee
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Just Cruisin'
Photos: WeekiTiki
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Factory service center is here locally

But my son-in-law did the one on my Mako

and it works just fine

colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for the seal kit, which is suppose to be here tomorrow. After that I can get it all put back together.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did finally get an email back from SeaStar, but of little help:

Please do not work on the helm pump. Only an authorized service center can repair the helm. No parts diagram is available. I have attached the authorized service centers. It is a liability issue.
I have attached the install instructions for the front mount helms.
Let me know if you need anything else.
Bruce
Bruce Looney
Technical Service Representative
Phone +1 604-248-3858
Bruce.Looney@dometic.com
Dometic, 3831 No 6 Road, Richmond, BC, V6V 1P6, Canada

So I can understand their liability concerns, but still, the seal kits are easily attainable and with some mechanical ability, it shouldn't be that hard to rebuild some of this stuff. (I'm finding, it's not. It's just a matter of the learning curve you have to go thru without any kind of schematics or technical data.)

Better yet, I finally came across a very helpful thread on The Hull Truth. From that I found all my thoughts about how my helm pump went back together were correct. And there is even mention of a DIY test bench to set the over pressure valves properly. Here is a link:

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/321796-seastar-steering-helm-pump-rebuild-pics.html

Also, while I'm thinking about it, during my autopilot install rather than buying new hydraulic lines, I was able to use a left over new line I already had. I needed two lines half the size and rather than buying two more lines, I was able to find some field fittings that worked great, and cut the line I had in half. Talking about the 5/16" seastar line with the 9/16" compression fittings. The field fitting part number is 2TFMS-6-5B.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just uploaded some photos to a nested album.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album3179&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

I still have to build my little test bench so I can reset the over pressure valves in the helm pump. I'll add those photos later when I get it done. Colby
jkidd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, crap. After installing the new helm pump, I'm still having the same problem. That is, turn to port, all is well. Turn slowly to starboard and nothing happens. Turn the wheel faster and it will catch. Also, when on Autopilot, it can't hold heading. Will it can, but drifting 30 degrees to maintain that heading. Part of me says as soon as I can get the over pressure ports adjusted on the old helm that I rebuilt, change it out with the cockpit helm. Maybe that's the problem. But I'm starting to believe it's more likely in the ram at the engine. I bled the system today what I think was fairly well. However, it almost still feels like air in the system. I can move the outboard back and forth at least an inch, if not two. However, I can't get anymore air out of the system. There are no leaks anywhere. I changed the cap seals out on the ram on Midnight Flyer and have the old caps that I resealed, but don't see any reason to change those seals out on C-Traveler since there are no apparent leaks at the shafts. But what is inside? Off to Michigans Inside Water way for the next few weeks. I'll have several weeks when we get back before our next adventure to try resolving this problem again. Any ideas? Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be looking at the cockpit helm. Leaking valves there would cause your problem. Perhaps you can lock it out for the next trip and see if that works. If it is a simple "T", just put a union or straight fitting in place of the "T".
Or you can disconnect and cap off the tubes to the outside helm.
You should not be able to move the motor that much.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoying the Cheboygan area now. Thanks Bob for that advice. Before I change out that cockpit helm, I'll disconnect the T's from the helm and block them off, and see if I still have the problem. Save me from changing out that helm if the problem still exists. In which case the only thing left would be the ram...Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some 3/8" compression caps to cap off the tees at the cockpit helm, before leaving Cheboygan, and installed them that afternoon when we arrived at our anchorage in Mullett Lake. I think that helm may have been the problem. But I also suspect some issue with the Cylinder at the outboard. While I don't have the issue I did with no turning when spinning the wheel slow to starboard, there still appears to be air or something else going on in the system. I can still move the engine an inch or two in either direction. I would think if it was fluid leaking internally, the engine would not "spring back" to position, but rather stay where it's moved too. My plans are to go ahead and buy a new seal kit for the cylinder, and after adjusting the over pressure valves in the cabin helm I rebuilt after installing a new helm, reinstall that helm in the cockpit. Finally I'll bleed the system again and try to get all the air out and see what happens. I emailed Sea Star with the issue, and this was their reply:

"Thanks for the email , when adding a second station to a single engine or single ram vessel we only recommend using PRO helms , if they are not used the exact problem of a station freewheel will occur and be more evident when the helms are on a similar plane . To rule the ram out as being bad we can only recommend removing the hoses and capping or dead heading the ram off , if the engine can still be moved the ram has internal damage ."

I'm thinking they are more interested in selling me more of their product than really addressing the problem with me. Some quick research indicates the pro series just produce more pressure and require the higher pressure hoses and cylinders! I'll continue to try and solve this with the work I mentioned above. If that doesn't fix it, I guess I'm taking it into a shop...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: