View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:33 am    Post subject: Window Screens on CD-25 Aft Windows Reply with quote

C-Traveler does not have any screens in the two aft side windows. (The one in the head, and the one in the same position on the port side.) Do the boats normally come with screens in these windows, or not? Both windows appear to have screen tracks. Rosanne wrote C-Dory and their reply was to contact Diamond Glaze. I did that today, and they told me that without the boat there, they would not know what screen it takes as so many boats required different sizes. Nor do they stock specific screens. They suggested I look at having a local screen facility make one. However, most the hardware stores I've checked with here can only replace the screen material, or make "straight" rectangular/square frames. The frames required to fit the windows would be curved on the front sides. Anyone have other suggestions? Thanks. Colby
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screens are a must. Surely someone out there fabricates custom size frames, I could send you a full scale pattern if ever needed.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2005 CD25 Cruiser has screens on both those windows. I presume they came from the factory....I can't imagine they didn't.

Frankly, I rarely care if they are open or closed, nor would I particularly care if I had them or not. I understand the sentiment expressed here that they are "a must", and that may well be true in many parts of the country, but here in the San Juans, bugs just aren't that big an issue (except maybe for an hour near dusk). OTOH, I almost always anchor rather than go to a marina; maybe at marinas bugs can be a problem.

Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Screens Reply with quote

I would trace the windows you need screens for and call Diamond Sea Glaze again and speak to a supervisor. I am sure C-Dory did not put random sized windows in their 25' cruisers in 2009. Just seems that someone does not want to take the time to help you out. If C-Dory is using the same molds and cutouts for their new 25's then they should also know what windows they are getting from Diamond Sea Glaze.

Some people just don't want to take the time to help. Rolling Eyes

John
Swee Pea
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. We do want screens in those windows, and the tracks are already there for them. I too have to believe that those windows are rather common in size, at least for several years at a time. I'll probably hit up both C-Dory and Diamond Glaze again next week. For now, the boat is at the shop where I get my covers made, getting a new bimini. Colby
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,
My Cape Cruiser did not come with the screens for the large windows, both port and starboard. They are exactly the same size and configuration, as the current Venture 26. I spent several months trying to buy them through DSG and then through the C-Dory factory, via the C-Dory dealer.
After all the effort, I had no luck and ended up making my own...

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, The current windows should be the same (if Diamond Sea Glaze). Diamond Sea Glaze should have some record of the sales --since they have produced the screens for so many years.

It is fairly easy to put velcro and use fine mesh screens--all with contact cemented hot glue...but the siding screens are better.

The head windows opening and having screens is a "must".

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've reached a dead end with both C-Dory and Diamond Sea Glaze. NWI says they do not have replacement screens and suggest I contact Diamond. This is the second time I've been shot down by the window maker.

On 8/4/2020 2:00 PM, Adam Barlow wrote:
Hi Colby,

Good morning.

Sorry, we do not offer replacement screens, as these are custom fit in the factory.

Shipping replacements has resulted in fitment issues in the past .... labor, materials, shipping ...very high cost.... only to send a screen that doesn’t fit correctly.

Best Regards,

Adam Barlow
Sales Account Manager
AdvanTec Global Innovations
+1.800.770.0455 ext. 3111

Alain, if that offer to provide a full scale pattern still stands, I'll take you up on it. The two hardware stores we have in town can not make rounded screen frames, like what would be needed in the CD-25. I'm thinking I may try to make something myself. Either that or keep searching for an outfit that can make actual screen frames that would fit my windows. Colby
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, you need the head window screen and the Port aft one, correct?
Email me, alainprovostt37 AT gmail DOT com with a mailing address. Alain
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several other options: Glue velcro to the insect screen and to the frame of the window. White velcro is not very visible.

Make a "frame" of either sewn Sunbrella, with snaps on the sunbrella and window frame, as used for "curtains", Or use ShelterRite Material, for the frame and directly glue the insect screen between two pieces with HH66 glue--and put the snaps on,

I have scraps of shelterRite enough to do the project.
srbaum

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do take a look at the photos of the sliding screens Thai make, when I hit the dead end that you did.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srbaum;

I did look at your photos and and you did a good job. I have a few questions. First, when you ordered the parts from a RV place, did you order the frames with the curve, as shown? Next, what were they made of that allowed you to heat and bend them to fit. The front of the large window is slanted, so that you would have different radius/angles bends to make. Finally, I looked on line and couldn't find any parts as you showed. Where did you get them?

Also, you mentioned that the seat was for a tractor. Any specific manufacturer, either tractor or seat? How are they doing on the boat?

Boris
srbaum

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris,
I looked everywhere and I do mean everywhere, to find parts to make a screen that would work for our windows. The the angles forward on the 25 are not as great as they are on the 26. I used Lou's screens from his 25 "Skimmer" as my example, but with greater angles forward, I just made a cardboard pattern to get my angles right. I purchased the corners, spline and the track here https://www.pellandent.com/RV-Window-Screen-Parts
. To get the forward angles needed, I traced my pattern on the garage floor in pencil , cut the metal screen frame to size with a hack saw and assembled the track, into the plastic corners. With a heat gun and only applying modest amounts of heat, carefully bent the plastic corners to shape. I purchased the screen from my local hardware store.

The seat is absolutely a 10 out of 10 ratings. Very comfortable, even when at the helm for 8 hours or more. The foam fits your body, the arm rests height are adjustable, it slides forward and aft and the back folds down. Everyone that has seen it and sat in it does not want to relinquish the helm, because of the seat's comfort. If you look back at my discussion for a replacement seat, I had lots of input from Brats. I was so uncomfortable in the OEM seat, that I was willing to spend $1K to have a seat that met my needs. One Brat steered me in the right direction, as Tractor Supply had a seat that looked like it would meet my needs. The only show stopper was the the TS seat was vinyl in black and that would be too hot. I found the same seat on eBay as the TS seat, but fabric covered.
Here is the info on the seat: https://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Deere-Brown-

Fabric-Seat-Fits-7130-7230-and-7330-Tractors/323446644708?hash=item4b4eec1fe4:g:X6oAAOSw0JVbm9Nw:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!23703!US!-1

Steve Baum
Homeport of Portsmouth, VA
OSPREY (Ex Mister Sea) 2000 22 C-Dory 2010 - Sold 3/19
OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve I fixed that link for you: Here is the seat

It took a little fiddling with the URL to make it work.
Deluke

City/Region: Meigs
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Miss Adventure
Photos: Miss Adventure
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve and Bob. I just purchased this seat. I spent all day this past Sunday on the ICW at Apalachicola breaking in the new engine while breaking in my butt on the old Oem seat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: