TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can get to five pages if we discuss the time that C-Dory really was done.

C-Dory went belly up a while back and the bank got the assets. Then Sea Sport went bust and gave up their assets, too. Then a short while later the Sea Sport folks bought the C-Dory molds from the bank and started building boats again, which gave them enough capital to buy back the Sea Sport molds.

After that, everything changed hands a time or two or something and C-Dory and Sea Sport started calling themselves Northwest Marine Industries and lived happily ever after. I think Osprey, Olympic and maybe other brands play into this somehow, too.

Now I predict a page and a half of debate on my presumed facts, after which Mark or Julie from the factory will post the correct version of events and I will claim that is what I meant all along.

After page five, someone can reminisce on the short collaboration between C-Dory and Ranger Tugs. Those folks had enough foresight and wisdom to call themselves C-Ranger just long enough to get a forum and dedicated photo gallery on the previously exclusive C-Brats.com. Very sly, and they continue to do quite well for themselves - well enough that Ranger, after all these years, still springs for a banner ad atop our pages for which we are very grateful. If Jeff from Ranger sees this and drops in to say hello we can add a few more pages to this thread.

DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

When you mention the brand Olympic, this brings to mind 'Skagit Orca' which is one of my most favorite boats. We saw one being constructed at the Northwest Marine Industries factory a few years ago and it was a pleasant surprise to see that it is still being made today.

NMI is very smart to continue such a fine line-up of other great boats besides C-Dory and with the long waiting list for a new boat, I think they will be around for a long while.

Gary.
chipwagon

City/Region: Victoria
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sam 'n Leo
Photos: Sam 'n Leo
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the Skagit Orca! The profile reminds a bit of the C-Dory look, though in terms of hull and weight/power etc they would seem to have a whole more in common with the SeaSport.

On the general topic of C-Dory being done--at the Vancouver boat show I chatted with Ron from NMI and he said he hoped to get a C-Dory dealer in Canada again by the end of the year. That's great news--if/when I can afford a new 25 or 26 footer it would be nice to have that available.

DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do look similar but I'm much more partial to the look of the C-Dory. Something about the windshield appeals to me more I think.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't skagit orca built by the C-dory people?
SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tsturm
Yes, the skagit orca was built by the cdory factory prior to the Wrights taking over.
I believe that they have the molds now and might have built a few.
The orca is an interesting story. It was started in a factory on Camano Island building 4 or 5 boats per year.then was sold to skagit marine where they ramped up production to much more.sold them thru their retail store in Burlington WA recession time hit and they shut down for a couple years. Some how the Reynolds family obtained the molds about the same time they accuired the Olympic boats company.
They built Cdory, Skagit Orca, and a 28 or 30 Olympic for a while.

1993 22 Cruiser (sold 2014)
1995 22 Angler (acquired 2016)
1983 22 Classic (sold 2017)
Belle

C-Dory Year: 2014
Vessel Name: Belle of the North
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DYING LAUGHING!!!

You guys are hilarious.

In the spirit of making it to page 5, we’ve owned a Ranger Tug R-29 and are now the proud owners of a C-Dory 22’ Cruiser. Both boats favorites for different reasons, but C-Dory a little more favorite because:

1. All around, more fun!

2. Faster getting to where we want to go!

3. Less maintenance!

4. Easy maintenance! (Try replacing a belt on the R-29 Yanmar. I dare you.)

5. Easy to DIY upgrade and customize!

6. Easy to haul in & out and a pleasure to tow!

7. No thru hulls, BONUS.

8. White hull, BONUS. See #3.

Then there’s this: The R-29 was six times the price of our first house. Oh my god, what were we thinking?!

And this: Ranger Tugs are beautiful with all the fancy features you could ever want, but it’s a good thing I’m a little OCD with cleaning or I could be recounting a sad story.

We were getting the boat ready for a trip to Catalina Island, our kids were flying in from Toronto to join us. I pulled everything out of the teak cabinets in the cockpit to clean inside. I reached into the starboard quarter as far as I could with a soapy towel and when I pulled it out, my white towel was brown/orange. Huh? I rinsed it out, reached back in, and again a lot of brown/orange and this time, a rusty nut & bolt, still screwed together, but no head on the bolt. Now I’m wondering, what’s on the other side? Where did the bolt come from? So I went to have a look. I noticed the muffler had a bit of rust on it and I could see the top two bolt heads, still seated. I couldn’t see the bottom two bolt heads, they were under the muffler and under the waterline. Back to the cabinet with a flashlight and a mirror. I found another rusted nut & bolt (with no head) laying deep in the back corner, near the muffler. Contorting myself with flashlight and mirror, I could now see that the two bottom holes for the muffler, had no bolts. And then the realization that they were under the waterline.

We had her hauled out the next morning and watched the shipyard do the repair. The two remaining bolts broke when they tried to loosen them. The Ranger Tug factory had missed a ground wire on the muffler. The wire was there, just not attached to anything, so the stainless steel bolts failed. We had a bit of a come to Jesus moment and a couple of months later, we decided to sell.

That being said, we lived on our R-29 for almost four years and loved it. For real. Great boat. Even better boat if you’re a multi millionaire. 😂

Here’s to page 5!
markwright
C-Dory Factory Representative

City/Region: Bellingham/NW
Photos: C-Dory Factory
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:37 pm    Post subject: Pictures of C-Dory being produced tomorrow!! Reply with quote

Hello out there.. this is quickly becoming an urban myth! I will do my part to debunk the myth and send you more pictures of the 5 boats we have in production!!
Do believe the hype! We are alive!!!
Mark— Northwest Marine!

Chester

City/Region: home
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear it, Mark.

Let me say it would be, IMO, in your best interests to drop in from time to time. No need to white novels, just the occasional howdy or quick update is all.

This forum is at least 1/2 the reason I bought a C-Dory and it is a great resource for all of us.
Thanks
Belle

C-Dory Year: 2014
Vessel Name: Belle of the North
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, hello, Mark!

Debunk — Debunk — Debunk!

Can’t wait to see pics!!! Very Happy
Scuppers

City/Region: Knotts Island
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Scuppers
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: 19 angler Reply with quote

I recently became the proud owner of Scuppers, a 2011 19 ft Angler with an ETEC 90. I just spent about six hours removing the floor panels, removing a large amount of leaves, oil residue and muck. Fixed all the chair attachments, which were loose. Removed the captains shelf, which I bashed my head on one too many times. I scrubbed every surface, and while I was at it, decided to remove and store the porta potti, since we do not need it in the boat. I believed the previous owner when he mentioned it had never been used. Not! Some people will say anything. Going for 5 pages!
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 19 angler Reply with quote

Scuppers wrote:
Going for 5 pages!

Are we there yet? Thumbs Up
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: I think CDory is done Reply with quote

raeberly wrote:
I got a funny feeling that CDory is done

Well, "raeberly" looks to he more done than C-BRATS, and C-Dory appears to still be there, building new boats and stopping in here once in a while, (Thank you Mark) and we are working our way, well down on P-3.

Hey raeberly, look what you started. We ARE still here.

Thank for all the fun.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

rickw

City/Region: Coupeville, WA (Whidbey Island)
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Cara Na Mara
Photos: Cara Na Mara
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: I think CDory is done Reply with quote

raeberly wrote:
I got a funny feeling that CDory is done

....is done really, really, really good!

....is done won best boat contest again!

....is done confused about the loony “is done” post!”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: