Shrimp closure in MA 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
skiptowns98033

City/Region: Cornet Bay
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Plan C
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Shrimp closure in MA 6 Reply with quote

I don't understand how WDFW can increase the limit in MA 6 and 2 weeks later, close the season because the quota had been reached! This is the 3rd (or 4th) time that's happened in the last 5 years!! And it was the quickest closure and the shortest notice - 1 day - than any of the other ones.

Are they not aware of how close to the quota they are? Do they not realize many of us would rather fish all summer and catch fewer shrimp? After previous closures, I've spoken to and emailed those involved, gotten agreement it's been confusing and seemingly irrational. The initial reasoning was they hadn't gotten close to the quotas in previous years and wanted to increase the fishing opportunities in MA 6.

Evidently memories are short.

I'm waiting until the big weekend is over and I settle down but if anyone wants a contact list for the Region 4 office, the Fish and Wildlife Biologist Don Velasquez, the the Director of WDFW, the shellfish advisory members and the PR group, let me know.
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: What gets my goat!!?? Reply with quote

-- There was not much that "Got my goat." when I was 8 years old but as I add birthday candles to the cake, my "Goat gets gotten." more often than not. I think that we forget that often those who are elected or appointed or hired to serve the public seem for the most part not to like their client base. Though Nevada has lots of good sensible rules and patterns of behavior as to how the civil authorities are to be civil to the actual authority (we voters) there are times that "Try Men's Patience" even here in our new home state. (Can you guess what "house of insanity" we fled that is to the west of here?)
-- I have elected to not be where I am not wanted as best possible and practical. I do not go to DMV at lunch time nor do I attempt to cross any major downtown at rush hour. Now shrimp are a different story but in truth, most of our wildlife is under stress and population decline and the answer maybe to end most commercial fishing and get all those nice men and women now on the big boats into guiding tourists in the quest for a 4 1/3 shrimp limit on an all day boat with a $100 Shrimp Stamp on their $500 Fishing License. Oops, my tongue poked a hole in my cheek!
-- In Louisiana Nutria are now a pest species and habitat destroyer and the state pays $6.00 per tail and they missed their annual harvest goal by 1/2 which is 200,000 Nutria, but you have to have a license to shoot Nutria and the limit is five per day but they pay you to shoot them. Who wants to gear up to shoot five big rats for $30? As they are an introduced species, zero Nutria is the right number and the bag limit should be how many will fit in the bed of a F-150. How about giving away 22 shells to the hunters and feeding the harvest to prisoners in the over crowded jails (don't get my all hot and bothered now, I may explode).
-- Ah yes, why don't we talk (read debate) a bit about dual vs single engines, Bennett vs Lenco Trim Tabs, to Permatrim or not to Permatrim, and how many MPG does a woodchuck get when on a plane with fifty people in a C-16!!
-- Just pulling your leg a bit. For me, life is pretty good if I pay attention and stay on my side of the road. Issue is that I am a moaner groaner and not all that into working anymore. My motto is "Sloth is its own reward!".
-- See ya at the "Quagga Cooking Station" at the next boat ramp we share.
Bob Jarrard
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: What gets my goat!!?? Reply with quote

bobjarrard wrote:
-- There was not much that "Got my goat." when I was 8 years old but as I add birthday candles to the cake, my "Goat gets gotten." more often than not. I think that we forget that often those who are elected or appointed or hired to serve the public seem for the most part not to like their client base. Though Nevada has lots of good sensible rules and patterns of behavior as to how the civil authorities are to be civil to the actual authority (we voters) there are times that "Try Men's Patience" even here in our new home state. (Can you guess what "house of insanity" we fled that is to the west of here?)
-- I have elected to not be where I am not wanted as best possible and practical. I do not go to DMV at lunch time nor do I attempt to cross any major downtown at rush hour. Now shrimp are a different story but in truth, most of our wildlife is under stress and population decline and the answer maybe to end most commercial fishing and get all those nice men and women now on the big boats into guiding tourists in the quest for a 4 1/3 shrimp limit on an all day boat with a $100 Shrimp Stamp on their $500 Fishing License. Oops, my tongue poked a hole in my cheek!
-- In Louisiana Nutria are now a pest species and habitat destroyer and the state pays $6.00 per tail and they missed their annual harvest goal by 1/2 which is 200,000 Nutria, but you have to have a license to shoot Nutria and the limit is five per day but they pay you to shoot them. Who wants to gear up to shoot five big rats for $30? As they are an introduced species, zero Nutria is the right number and the bag limit should be how many will fit in the bed of a F-150. How about giving away 22 shells to the hunters and feeding the harvest to prisoners in the over crowded jails (don't get my all hot and bothered now, I may explode).
-- Ah yes, why don't we talk (read debate) a bit about dual vs single engines, Bennett vs Lenco Trim Tabs, to Permatrim or not to Permatrim, and how many MPG does a woodchuck get when on a plane with fifty people in a C-16!!
-- Just pulling your leg a bit. For me, life is pretty good if I pay attention and stay on my side of the road. Issue is that I am a moaner groaner and not all that into working anymore. My motto is "Sloth is its own reward!".
-- See ya at the "Quagga Cooking Station" at the next boat ramp we share.
Bob Jarrard

On the Kenai peninsula the saying is, "if we could only get the ADF&G to regulate mosquitos" soon there would be none!
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Invite me up!! Reply with quote

Help - I am a COVID-19 Convict under house arrest. Invite me up to AK to kill flying dinosaurs called mosquitoes. Take me fishing, take me hunting, but please get get me out of my funk!!! I was in SE Alaska for a whole week in July and did not see one Miniature Flying Fortress. But then I was in Seattle once for a week and the sun shone all day everyday.
Pinocchio Bob Jarrard (but it is true what I wrote above, trust me)
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best to avoid the crowd at the extremes...

Aye.

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

area 7 west is still open and will be for a while. Yeah is was weird that area 6 limit was increased because of the allotment was slowly getting caught . Then they cut it toff a week later because of over fishing??? Good weather had a lot to do with it. I only got out one day and it was great. One pull of 4 pots produced 4 limits. after my friends dropped me up they picked up more people and one more pull of 4 pots got 6 limits plus a bunch went back.
skiptowns98033

City/Region: Cornet Bay
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Plan C
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to a pdf of the contact info for the Advisory Committee and WDFW staff responsible for crab and shrimp.

[url] https://wdfw.wa.gov/about/advisory/psrcsac[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: