The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Stand Up Helm Options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crowleykirk

City/Region: Friday Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2020
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Life
Photos: C-Life
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Stand Up Helm Options Reply with quote

Hello:-)
I did a search and didn't see anything yet on a solution for a stand up option at the helm.
We went out with Steve and Joanie on C-Sharp the other day. Thanks so much Steve for a great day. C-Sharp is a 22 that we loved. We are also looking at 23 or 25 but it will come down to funds etc...hopefully by next season.

My big question is has anyone modified the helm to allow for stand up and sit down control? Maybe a seat with bolster combo?

Stand up would be a must have for me and I realize if purchased new this could be built in and if used could be modified. Yes, the seat is comfortable. I just can't sit for long periods. Back surgeries etc.. and doing good but would have to stand a good bit of the time.

I imagine this has been talked about and I'm just not finding the thread. If anyone has any input as to the thread or ideas on the matter it would be greatly appreciated. Pics?

By the way.... pretty new here. My name is Kirk Williams, we are part time San Juan Island but need a boat in a bad way. Obviously leaning C-Dory and I've done the research and have bee reading C-Brats for years. This group is amazing and we can't wait to meet more of you and head out for some serious fun soon:-)

Thanks again,
Kirk

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine how to do that (at least on a 25), but I often stand up on the sole right next to the helm station; it is relatively easy to drive the boat from there (kind of like steering a car from the passenger seat).
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
I can't imagine how to do that (at least on a 25), but I often stand up on the sole right next to the helm station; it is relatively easy to drive the boat from there (kind of like steering a car from the passenger seat).

+1
crowleykirk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: I see your point.... Reply with quote

Maybe others will chem in. On know on the 22 it looks possible with the loss of more storage. You'd really have to rework things. I'm sure it can be done with some work and loss of space. I need to get on a 25 and have a look.

I'm sure someone has done it. It would be my preferred driving position but I'd want both options. Might not be a possibility in a Dory. I was just curious if someone has crossed that bridge.

I did recently have 4 artificial disc put in my spine. 2 back and 2 neck and major improvmenet but maybe not as much as I had hoped. Still in ht healing stage.

I've been standing doing most things in life for 18 plus years of a bad back.
Sitting is now possible and I do like to sit:-) But.... I also love to stand and it just feels good on the body.

Maybe we'll get some more responses... I'll let this one linger a bit.

Thanks for your responses:-)
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move the steering to the center of the boat. Or add an autopilot and steer from any where in the boat with a remote control.

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the step storage at the helm of the 25, there is really no way to stand - it puts your head right at the height of the shelf, besides being cramped. When I felt the need to stand while steering on Wild Blue, I did so from the aisle. Sometimes you just need a change of position, sometimes you can get the fresh breeze from the center window direct. The only reach is to get to the throttle, so I'd suggest not running at speed while standing.

Very doable, though.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have back problems, although no discs replaced. (3 surgeries, multiple injections and many rhizotomies, This has impacted my boating and choice of boats.

I agree, even with the removal of the foot rest storage area you will not get enough head room, unless the helm is moved. It is possible to build an articulating helm which could swing from the usual position to the center, but would involve major surgery on the port console, and hydraulic steering is essential. I have steering many hours standing in the center Isle--and that is many's preference when backing into a slip. The binnacle controls are easy enough to reach from the aisle.

An auto pilot also becomes a must if you want to spend a lot of time steering from the center standing. You can get remotes which change course by 1* or 10*. I have steered across a number of oceans using this technique long before "Tracks" and GPS. Remotes can be wireless or wired. I have wireless currently and it works very well.

I use a convertible seat on my 18' Caracal Cat, which is both a leaning post and seat. The problem is that for this to be effective, the seat has to be fairly high and there must be a foot rest. I don't see this working easily, without some serious surgery on the 22 or 25, and shifting the helm somewhat aft.

An alternative is one of the tractor seats, with shock absorbers or "air ride". But this only gives you some shock absorption and no. help with the standing.

If I were doing it, I probably would find a commuter model, which just has bench seats, and then modify for a center helm--putting in a convertible galley, and perhaps dinette which faces athwarthsips rather than fore and aft. The port and starboard bulkheads on the 22's and 25 are not structural and can be removed (if both are, then the shelf is compromised, so I would keep the port side. Entrance to the bunk could be beneath the raised helm (maybe articulated) and a bolster, convertible pedestal seat. V bunk entrance to port side and perhaps galley split to both sides all of the way aft. The 22 commuter would lend itself best to this modification.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
crowleykirk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Thank you Bob Reply with quote

For your very detailed reply. It does sound like a chore for sure and probably not worth it. Sounds like you've come up with some good alternatives.

I used a SacroEase back support in my truck/camper and inside the camper at the din-net. I'm sitting in one right now in a recliner chair. The sacroease is amazing, really helps. It's from Relax The Back and is a little pricey but we have several.

I was hoping after surgery I would not need it but for now I'm using it and it works great, lots of support so maybe it would fit in a C-Dory.

Hey Steve, C-Sharp, maybe we could head back over and give that a try:-). ???

I never though the back would be a consideration in boat buying. I may just wait to finish the healing and see how we are. So far I'm way better than the last 18 years but I'm so used to be able to stand and love that position.

Again, thanks Bob and others for the input.
davidJ

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: E-Z Rider
Photos: davidJ
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run out of Anacortes to Eagle Point in a C 19 quiet a bit and we get bounced around pretty good sometimes. I would question if a C Dory, with its flat bottom would be a good match if you have a bad back. I know you can go slow and sometimes we do get a smooth ride, but usually its on the rough side. If I had a bad back I would sell my C Dory and maybe my house, and look at something like a Tomcat or Aspen cat.
crowleykirk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Hi David Reply with quote

Funny you say that. We have a sea trail scheduled in a couple weeks on a used Apsen 90. And yes, I've given this all some thought.

I should clarify I'm hoping the back will be much improved as my heeling progresses. I've addressed the physical part the best I can. Stay in shape, keep the weight good etc... and now have replaced the bad disc in my back and neck. I know it will never be a young back and I'm good with that.

My back was damaged over the years when I was younger racing motocross. So I'm used to a rough ride..haha....

But yes, it is something that I'm trying to figure out. We love the C-Dory boats and the C-Brats we've met have been great. We've been out in one only once and I thought it was great even in a little chop but it was pretty short day and mostly smooth so not a real test of endurance that's for sure. Did thoroughly enjoy it though.

I feel pretty good, the back is much better than it has been, the surgery was a miracle for me.

I may just wait and see how I feel in 6 months but we are here on San Juan right now so trying to check out as much as possible.

And yes... an Aspen would require the sale of the house... and that would probably require a divorce and no boat:-)

Aspen has a used 90 for sale, they had 3 but now just the one. I'd love to get onboard a TomCat. Master Marine has one we'll have to look at. Not sure we can swing new right now, maybe next year. Everything is evolving right now.

Thanks for you input.

Kirk
little wing

City/Region: Oakland
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: Toots
Photos: Toots
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:

+2

My lumbar also sucks (herniated discs). This works good for me.
crowleykirk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:00 am    Post subject: C-Dory - Master marine Reply with quote

Said they could probably design a standing helm station. It just takes money.
Well.. yeah. I mentioned that the seat is molded... said they could possible change it. Marty says he has to drive standing as well. And prefers not to do it from the middle as we’ve all discussed. Just thought that was interesting if buying new that they “might” work with me to figure it out.

Just passing on the info. I have not been on the 25 or 26 or Tomcat to do any measuring.

The Aspen we sea trialed, standing was natural and easy. If I only had those kind of funds.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I single hand my 22 Cruiser, and frequently stand. One of my favorite positions is standing at the front of the center isle, arm resting on the overhead of the companionway, and steering with the right hand. I frequently travel at slow cruise speed, (about 4-5 knots), so access to the throttle is rarely needed. I also cross Juan de Fuca, and that is generally a beam sea of some sort. Again, standing is a comfortable position, throttle is generally steady so it is just a matter of picking the wave trough to run in. Easy to do from that standing position.

No modifications necessary for the CD-22 Cruiser for easy standing. I suppose the throttles could be moved to be up on the helm top or face, (maybe), and that might make it easier for a full time stander, if reaching across the seat would be a back issue.

Steve and Joannie are super folk. Glad you got to meet them.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: