View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Lake Powell end of July Reply with quote

Hi All,
So i'm contemplating the big pull out to lake Powell. It's not the normal time i'd want to go out there as it's kinda warm but I have some PTO i have to burn.
How is it out there that time of year? pretty crowded?
With the Pandemic what is it like right now?
Thanks,
-Conrad

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been on Powell in July--and it is usually crowded. Not sure how it will be this year. There are always places you can "hide out" from the houseboats, PWC and wakeboard boats. Water is warm. Be sure and take some shade--or find a spot in a narrow canyon (safe from flash floods--or move in storms) where the direct sun is avoided. We used a Kelty shade and big enough for several couples. It cools off enough at night to still be good sleeping weather.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there once on July 4th it was 106 F. spent the whole time trying to find shade. Then when we went to leave it took 4 hours to get off the lake because the line to retrieve was 11 miles long all the way to Ticabo. No plans to repeat that adventure. Looks like there will be a few boats up at Yellowstone around the 22nd to 27th. Much more favorable temps.

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
We have been on Powell in July--and it is usually crowded. Not sure how it will be this year. There are always places you can "hide out" from the houseboats, PWC and wakeboard boats. Water is warm. Be sure and take some shade--or find a spot in a narrow canyon (safe from flash floods--or move in storms) where the direct sun is avoided. We used a Kelty shade and big enough for several couples. It cools off enough at night to still be good sleeping weather.

Along with the tarp(s), bring poles, line and stakes that hold in deep sand.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Steve says, bring the rest of the gear to keep the shade upright. We have collapse poles which go to 8' height. We found some very nice plastic stakes which were over 18" long at Home Depot which work well in sand. Plenty of light line is important. The use of "deadman" is sometimes necessary. You also may have to move the shade as the sun clocks around.
easy does it

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Photos: Easy Does It
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: post topic Reply with quote

yes it will be very crowded but this is a huge place after you get out a ways you have the whole lake to yourself. See the trouts: lake powell adventure and in the pictures you can see we always found some incredible little shaded nook. I wanted to go back as soon as we got home. It is more exciting than anywhere in Hawaii! Our 1st trip out with no experience so used state line ramp and coming back threw an anchor out and left at 5:30 am ..no people and no inspection. Make sure you have a good map. Flaming Gorge July 9-15, Jackson Lake July 15-22 and yellowstone July 22-29 ..no worries mate bob's your uncle
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: I spent two weeks on Powell in July Reply with quote

If you want, give me a buzz and I will share some thoughts with you on how to have a good time. Key are how long you plan to stay on the water and where you put in as that determines your re-supply and gas opportunities at fair prices. For those reasons, I like Wahweap so you can get to Page. Antelope Launch Ramp around the corner is another alternative. I took along a C-Head by Cap as the floating toilets are few and far between and in 110 degree heat, PortaPotties can get gross fast. Did I mention block ice with a chaser of dry ice for the first two days?? I get 8 days that way every time with two coolers, the deep freeze and the merely cold. Strange how folks come to our town and hit Lake Mead and go to Powell in the Summer when it is so nice during the shoulder seasons. See ya.
Bob Jarrard 714 686-2728
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: I spent two weeks on Powell in July Reply with quote

bobjarrard wrote:
If you want, give me a buzz and I will share some thoughts with you on how to have a good time. Key are how long you plan to stay on the water and where you put in as that determines your re-supply and gas opportunities at fair prices. For those reasons, I like Wahweap so you can get to Page. Antelope Launch Ramp around the corner is another alternative. I took along a C-Head by Cap as the floating toilets are few and far between and in 110 degree heat, PortaPotties can get gross fast. Did I mention block ice with a chaser of dry ice for the first two days?? I get 8 days that way every time with two coolers, the deep freeze and the merely cold. Strange how folks come to our town and hit Lake Mead and go to Powell in the Summer when it is so nice during the shoulder seasons. See ya.
Bob Jarrard 714 686-2728

I'll give you a call. thanks!
Desert Dory

City/Region: Tucson
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Desert Dory
Photos: Desert Dory
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my first trip to Powell back in May and found the WaynesWords.net forum to be an invaluable resource for planning my trip.

It's a lot like this place in some ways. Lots of good people, with years of Powell experience, willing to share the ins and outs of what it takes to have a great Powell trip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: