View previous topic :: View next topic  
easy does it

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Photos: Easy Does It
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Lake Yellowstone storms Reply with quote

Has anyone encountered uncomfortable storms on the lake, I have camped there and seen several rescues from boats in storms. I am spending a week with my nifty thrifty Honda 50 on my 22'- not a storm chaiser but worked quite well on our 2 week lake powell trip, I was surprised that 3500 rpm gave me twice the mpg as 4500 rpm and actually the 8 hp kicker with the steering conector worked quite well if you don't mind going slow.
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been going there 2 times a year since 2007 only had one time where I put the rods and antennas down and went and sat in my car. The lightning strikes were way way to close. If you see bad weather coming just head for the marina or a protected cove don't try to cross the main part off the lake. In the 22 you should be fine.

Lew 25

City/Region: Billings
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: CAT CLAW
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: yellowstone Reply with quote

The wind usually starts to pick up in the afternoon. I go fishing early and come in when it starts up. if you wait to long to get one more fish it could be a longer ride in. I have been in rough conditions many times on the lake because of waiting to long to stop fishing. I try not to do that anymore. if you are when it is blowing you will not be going over 4 t 6 mph anyway. Cat claw is waiting for me at Yellowstone now and we are going up for a visit Thurs. for 5 days. time to eat some fresh lake trout.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellowstone Lake can can kick up some very rough water. Bridge Bay Marina used to rent 17 foot open boats with 25 hp tiller controlled outboards. At that time there wasn’t any restrictions on how far from the Marina you could go other then a set time for being back. JoLee & I in 1983 or 84 with our three young boys headed out across the lake & down to its SE Arm. In the afternoon on the way back across the lake high winds kicked up 5 foot close spaced waves. We were fortunate to make it back to the Marina, but on the next day in the same conditions & same area of the lake 2 out of three on a duplicate boat as ours didn’t survive when it flipped in the cold waters. That is why they now rent 19 foot high bow aluminum boats with 40 hp Honda’s & they are restricted from crossing to the east side of the lake. Since then we have been many times around the lake in canoe, rubber inflatable & every year since 2003 in our CD 22. It is now on a slip on B dock at the Marina for the summer, so we will likely see you there. A CD22 should handle most anything the lake can stir up, but if not prudent you could take a beating or worse. If weather watchful you will have a wonderful time there.

We have also spent considerable time on the other lakes you mentioned with Jackson Lake the most beautiful by far of them all, but like Jim said, the facilities there are no match for Bridge Bay at Yellowstone.

Jay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: