The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Question of water damage to cockpit side of transom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim406

City/Region: Friday Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Curmudgeon
Photos: jim406
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:32 am    Post subject: Question of water damage to cockpit side of transom Reply with quote

Looking for some help trying to figure out what I am seeing and whether I need to be concerned about this.

I am new to C-Brats and boating. I am looking at a 1993 22' C-Dory Cruiser to purchase. I had a marine survey done today. The surveyor sent the picture that's in my album. He said it was plywood covering the cockpit side of the transom. He doesn't know why it's there. It sustained water damage. He used his moisture meter and tapping from the other side of the transom and He said all seemed well. But he couldn't get access to the side seen because of a battery and fuel tank. It makes me uneasy but since I know very little about boats thought I'd see what you all think. Thank you for any ideas you might have.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be concerned. I would want to take a closer look at this inside transom before making a decision.

Well I don't think I've ever inspected an 1993 specifically, there shouldn't be bare plywood in the bilge area like is shown in your picture. My guess is it may be someones attempt at reinforcing the transom. Perhaps the transom is soft so this was to make it rigid.

Whatever it is, it can be fixed. Just make sure you're not paying top dollar for a boat you might need to replace the transom or at least do structural repairs on.

jim406

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice. Thank you.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There appears to be wires going thru this "bulkhead". What do these wires go to? Are there electric trim tabs? It does not appear from the photo to have been added as a structural part of the transom. Can you get any more information from the owner?

My first 22 was a 1993, and this is not a normal part of the structure. If the transom seems sound, then you may want to go further. Have you brought the motor to trailer position, and then bounced the full weight of your body on the lower unit? There should not be any transom deflection.

Another option( with owner's permission) is to have the outboard pulled and look at the bolt mounting holes to see if there is any wet core.

I might take a chance if the price was right. Make it clear to the seller that you are very serious--not low balling, but many of the C Brat community are concerned that this plywood might hide some defect which could cost thousands to repair.

I also would try and get a borescope or camera in around or top of the fuel tanks to exams what was going on there. Even removing one of the fuel tanks is not all that destructive.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jim406

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no electric trim tabs. I do not know where the wires go to.

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. The boat is 1600 miles from my location. I haven't seen it personally. The marine survey found a number of other issues with the electrical system and navigation equipment. These would be correctable. This transom issue was the biggest potential serious problem.

I am less than a novice. Trying to learn as I go. This site has been great and I've learned a lot but not near enough to attempt to evaluate this boat. I think at my stage of boating knowledge and based on the info I've been able to gather and no desire on my part to get a project, I am going to pass.

Thanks to all the C-Brats for their advice and help. Looking forward to be a part of this community!
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at a loss as to why one day, for seemingly no good reason, a person would stick a chunk or marine plywood on the inside of a perfectly good transom. It just doesn't make sense. They put that there for a reason, and I strongly suspect it is probably because the transom has/had issues even though the surveyor's moisture meters says it's dry and it passes the sound test. Maybe the reason it passes the sound test might be because that piece of ply is back there? Maybe it's been out the water for so long and stored in a dry place it finally is dry? Or perhaps they cut out the rot from the top with a chain saw, a hook, and then filled it with miracle transom junk (seacast) and thought a piece of ply in the inside might be a good idea to stiffen it up before/during/after the process? Or maybe the most likely, they drilled 500 hundred holes in the back of the transom, let it dry, and then injected it with CPES and instead of filling each hole, they just stuck a chunk of ply on it with 4200? I really don't know the answers to any of the questions, and some of these repairs can work out just fine, but I'd want to know what I'm getting myself into for sure! I do know I'd have a really hard time towing this boat home with me. There has to be better deals out there.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the boat that far away, and the OP inability to do further testing or undertake major repair--even at a real bargain price, I would walk away. Too bad you had to pay for the survey to find this out.! Unfortunately this happens. Often the boat sells later for a fraction of the asking price.

My first 25 had a very bad survey (starting with a large hole in the cockpit floor), and the person who had paid for it, posted the results on this forum because the boat had been represented in good condition. I eventually bought the boat at half of the asking price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: