The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New boat arrival. Also, we thank the original Hunky Dory.

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: New boat arrival. Also, we thank the original Hunky Dory. Reply with quote

Posted by Hunky_Dory_Little_Cayman

First, we just want to apologize for borrowing the name "Hunky Dory" which is, of course, already in use. We figured that since we're the only C-Dory (that we know of) in the Cayman Islands, we wouldn't be running into any other "Hunky Dorys" and that it would be OK. You know what they say, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." But we did want to thank whoever it was that originally came up with this great name. We promise to always give you author credit. Very Happy

After months of great anticipation, our Hunky Dory finally arrived on Christmas Eve. The factory has been really great working with us on the order and we'd also like to send out a special thanks to our terrific dealer, Bulldog Boatworks in Ft. Meyers. We picked Hunky Dory up at the dealer, filled it to the brim with provisions, then dropped it off at the Port of Tampa. It went by cargo ship to Grand Cayman where it was then off-loaded onto a barge which delivered it to Little Cayman. We got to drive our truck right onto the barge, hook up to Hunky Dory, and pull her home.

We took her for her maiden voyage yesterday on a grocery shopping trip to the neighboring island, Cayman Brac. She is PERFECT! We both love Hunky Dory. The water can be very rough in between the islands and she gave us a superb ride. The front V cuts into the waves nicely and the flat back then gives stability. Our last boat slammed us so hard on the waves that it hurt our backs and literally jarred our innards. But Hunky Dory gave us a wonderful ride and even when we hit big waves, we were as comfortable as can be. Oh, and we got the air conditioning installed and it works great! (Mermaid Marine A/C from www.wrightmarine.net )

Thank you C-Dory for making such great boats!!!

P.S. We'll post pictures soon.

Edited by Da Nag - User info added
Pete in NY

City/Region: Western LI Sound, NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Miss Pam
Photos: Miss Pam
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your boat. How do you power your AC? Is it dockside only, generator or battery powered? If battery, how long can you run it?

Regards,
Pete in NY
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the new family member, Craig and Joyce. I'm sure it will give you joy for years to come.

We would be particularly interested in the model, photos and the installation process/placement of that Wright Marine air conditioning unit. Did you "do it yourself?" or was it installed by a shipwright? I see by the literature that both the 5kbtu and the 6kbtu units will work all night with 400AH worth of battery or continuously using just a Honda EU1000 gen set. Pretty impressive.

Don
Hunky_Dory_Little_Cayman

City/Region: Little Cayman, Cayman Islands
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the system myself. Took about two days. I have the 6,500 btu unit as it doesn't cost much more than the 5,000. I'm using a 1000 watt Honda generator. Their expensive ($650) but so quiet and only 29 lbs. I posted a bunch of pictures.
Rick from Maine

City/Region: No. Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2000
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Craig!

That A/C installation is excellent. Who'd guess that you could put such a unit and ducting out of site within the original cabinet? And, that it'll run on the 1KW generator!

You've set a new standard for customizing a C-Dory to fit your use. Good Job.

Rick for Maine ( another Hunky Dory usurper)
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta agree with Rick, Craig. I'm doubly impressed with the thought behind your work.

That is a very tidy installation and would be a perfect "option" for the owners in hot muggy climates. Yes it cuts down on storage, but for the weekend sailor and even an occasional long cruise, I'd much rather have a/c when the humidity matches the temperature, especially at night.

Thanks for sharing those photos!

Don
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Craig & Joyce. I know you both were anxiously awaiting the arrival of your new boat to the Caymans. How exciting that our C-Dories are spreading internationally! A/C sounds like a really good idea down there in the Caribbean.
Peter
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig and Joyce-

Excellent installation of the best AC unit I've ever seen for a CD-22 or 25! That Honda 1000i generator is a sweetheart too! Congratulations on getting your boat home. Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig and Joyce, great installation. What precautions did you take in installing the thru hull in the way of protecting the balsa core? I'd be very careful in doing that, hopefully you lined the hole carefully with epoxy to prevent water intrusion?

What size hole does it take and did you use the installation kit from the mfr or wing it?

Charlie

Meant to ask too, how much tide do you have down there? Look slike some sort of a lift system on your dock...

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Hunky_Dory_Little_Cayman

City/Region: Little Cayman, Cayman Islands
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The installation kit included everything. The seacock was a one inch. I lined the inside of the hole with epoxy and let it dry over night and then really gooped on 5200 on each side of the seacock. I wonder if this is something that should be removed and checked every year??

I do have a lift for Hunky. We only have about 18" of tide movement. I'm in a reef protected area where the water depth is between 24" & 42" so the C-Dory is perfect.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that what you did is fine, particularly since you have itg on a lift. I'd take it out in about 3 years and check it though.

Charlie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: