View previous topic :: View next topic  
drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: New generation Yamaha F90 opinions Reply with quote

We are thinking of re powering our 2004 22 Cruiser. I am leaning towards the Yamaha F90. They seem to be a popular choice from way back. most of the posts I see when searching the forum are about the earlier version of the Yamaha 90. I am specifically looking for those that have first hand experience with the new generation F90 that was introduced in 2017 that uses the 1.8 liter power head.
Reliability is the main concern. Any inherent problems? Power compared to earlier version? Fuel consumption compared to earlier version?
The 115 is also based on this model, only with dual overhead cams and a bit heavier so comparisons to these would also be useful.
We currently have a 2004 Honda BF90A with the carburetors. It is a good low hour motor, but is getting old and out dated. Comparison of the new F90 to the Honda would also be interesting.

Thanks

Teufelshunde

City/Region: Sebastopol
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Fish Wisher
Photos: Fishwisher
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the new Yamaha F90 at the end of 2019 For 10k - it replaced an older Suzuki 70 - as far as power I think it’s definitely enough for what I use it for (fishing) and has plenty of power to get out of the hole and on plain quickly especially with a Permatrim.
Fuel consumption is minimal I can troll all day and burn maybe 4-5 gallons. I haven’t had any problems but I only have 80hrs on her.
If you troll for fish I would also get the troll control switch which allows you to idle down the engine to trolling speeds 2-4 mph and I love it.
Sorry I couldn’t give you more comparisons but so far it’s been great and I feel much more comfortable out in the deep blue with it.
Fish on!!

drbridge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Teufelshunde. The Troll Control sounds like a good feature and I would want it if we get this motor.

Is there anyone else out there using the Yamaha F90B or a F115 motor on a 22?
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drbridge wrote:
Thanks Teufelshunde. The Troll Control sounds like a good feature and I would want it if we get this motor.

Is there anyone else out there using the Yamaha F90B or a F115 motor on a 22?

I put an F115 on my old 91 22 cruiser in 2010 (the FI version)
Best thing to ever happen to that boat. The new owner is still running it. (I sold in 2011) I went with a 25.

Mr. Green Thumbs Up
drbridge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the info you have provided on this motor. Apparently not to many C-Brat C-Dorys have been powered/repowered with this motor. I have heard only good things about it from other sources.
So we decided to go ahead and repower with a new Yamaha F90LB.
The Honda was a good motor and had low hours, but at 17 years old I was loosing confidence in reliability for longer trips in to BC. It was developing some corrosion issues and we just want to have an up to date "new" motor that we would not have to worry about for as long as we own the boat. The Honda still had some trade in value and Some local fisherman will get many more years of service from it if it is taken care of.
Hondas are good motors and we loved ours, but Yamaha is what we choose due to dealer preference and the availability of wide spread service though out the US and Canada. We put it in at Sequim Bay and did some break in time yesterday and all was good. It definitely has more power through out the power band than the Honda did and it is very quiet too. The gauges are nice also. A new permatrim should be here today and once we get it mounted we will be headed for Sekiu for a while. After that we hope to make it out to the islands. If anyone needs a permatrim for a Honda, I still have ours. I thought I could use it on the Yamaha, but the holes won't line up.
hardee

C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug, No experience here with that new 90, but I know you are considering time up in Canada and I thing the Yamaha choice is a good one for going north. (I know there used to be severe hassle with HondaUS and Honda Canada issues. Kind of like taking your new Dodge RAM into the Chev dealer for service. Parts don't fit and they don't speak the same language.) Did you do the switch over at Westside or other?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not saying there couldn’t be a problem with part matching between US & Canadian Honda motors, but it was definitely not my experience. My Honda 40’s were 1999 Canadian models. 20 years old & 2400 hours on them, when I replaced. Not one problem with US parts not fitting in those years. Also had a US Honda shop manual & again no problem with it not matching the Canadian motor for parts.

Jay

hardee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, I don't know that the fitment is the issues, I think it is with the dealer associations. Also, it may be that the US is more accepting of Canada. Not sure there but there are threads and posts here where guys had serious issues taking US Honda's into Canada and trying to get parts and service. Just sayin, if I was considering Honda, I would be doing some research north of the boarder if I had plans on boating up there. Nothing against Honda motors, just Honda Politics.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Harvey, I vaguely remember those trouble post too. I think most of the problems revolved around warranty issues. Gorden Lamont, the previous owner of my boat, lived in Victoria, BC when he purchased it in 2000 from the factory. He bought the motors in Canada, because they were much less expensive there at that time. I think the large price differences from Japan between Canada and US purchases caused problems between the dealerships here and there. I know at the time of my purchase from him the motors still had warranty in Canada, but not for me in the US. I don’t know if these same issues exist now, but you are right in bringing up the possibility. Personally I hope to boat in Canadian waters with my new Honda’s in the future & it’s not among the possible problems boating there that really concern me. Perhaps that’s due to having twins😁

Jay
Nancy and Bud

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
Vessel Name: Emma Mae
Photos: Emma Mae
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for starting this thread. We are considering re-powering as well to get away from the carbs.
drbridge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience here with that new 90, but I know you are considering time up in Canada and I thing the Yamaha choice is a good one for going north. (I know there used to be severe hassle with HondaUS and Honda Canada issues. Kind of like taking your new Dodge RAM into the Chev dealer for service. Parts don't fit and they don't speak the same language.) Did you do the switch over at Westside or other?

Hey Harvey
Yes we got the new motor at Westside in Port Townsend and we are very happy with our dealings with them. Yamaha has a special going that gives a discount on the price and a 5 year vs the standard 3 year warranty. The warranty specifically states that it is honored in Canada. One would hope with a brand new motor that there would not be problems while on the water. That is the whole point of it. But stuff does happen. And yes, I did think about getting twins, but with the cost and complications of the switch we decide to go with a single. The new motor mounted directly in to the existing transom holes and was able to use the same brand new baystar steering system that I just finished installing. I was even able to use the custom mounting brackett (with some mods) that I engineered for the Honda that allows for the use of a rotary rudder reference indicator for our Raymarine auto pilot. The switch over was all done in a day. I just mounted the new permatrim yesterday and it turned out great. It is a little nerve racking drilling holes in a brand new motor though.
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy Doug. Good to hear they are taking care of you. I like dealing with Travis and Mark over there. (Bought my motorcycle from Travis when he had the Honda shop down the hill. Maybe the Canada/USA issues are getting worked out. Hope you don't have occasion to find out. Hope your Sieku time is profitable.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: