Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkswor

City/Region: tok
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Missy marie
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Anchor for a 25 ft cdory Reply with quote

So I have a 24lb plow on my boat. I had a 15lb on a 22ft. Why wouldn’t the 15 lb work on this 25ft?
I’m in valdez ak in a slip. I see seeming small anchors on very large boats
The guy in my RV Park said he has never used anything larger than 11 lbs
Just looking for opinions
Also when I release the anchor switch the anchor just sits there. Original anchor roller. Any thoughts on making it drop without going on bow to do it?
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased a used 25 that came with a claw anchor, probably in the 20 lb range. I didn't care for it, and bought a new 14 lb Delta just like what I had on my 22. Several told me I really need to go to the 22 lb. However, when you read all the charts on sizing anchors, Delta says the 14 lb is good for up to 30' boats, until gale force winds, at which point you should go up a size. I don't anchor in gale force winds, but realize weather can change, in which case I'm probably not going to sleep anyway, so can maintain an anchor watch... None the less I'm also of the idea that it's not just the anchor's weight, but how it holds in the sea/lake floor. Not claiming to know much about anchors, and I have only started doing more anchoring in the last few years. I sometimes think one can go too much and bigger isn't always better. I guess time will tell if I made a mistake getting the smaller anchor. As for the anchor dropping on it's own, on the 22 the anchor roller it came with did not drop by itself either, so I replace it with one that "tilted" when the anchor was lowered. The newer 25 has a straight style roller as well, but the anchor seems to drop fine from it, due to it's setup. So I think it has a lot to do with the type of anchor roller you have. Colby
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Anchor for a 25 ft cdory Reply with quote

jkswor wrote:
So I have a 24lb plow on my boat. I had a 15lb on a 22ft. Why wouldn’t the 15 lb work on this 25ft?
I’m in valdez ak in a slip. I see seeming small anchors on very large boats
The guy in my RV Park said he has never used anything larger than 11 lbs
Just looking for opinions
Also when I release the anchor switch the anchor just sits there. Original anchor roller. Any thoughts on making it drop without going on bow to do it?

I use a 22# lewmar W/100' of 1/4" chain, 400' 1/2" 3 strand. Beer Thumbs Up

I don't drag anchor any more Mr. Green

I changed to a pivoting bow roller.
johnf

City/Region: Tigard, OR
State or Province: OR
Photos: Boat Name TBD II (johnf)
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched lots of videos and did a lot of reading...went with a 13 lb Mantus M1 with about 50 feet of chain and 250 of 8 plait line.

For the 25 C-Dory I would recommend a 25 lb with a same amount of chain/line....that would seem secure holding power.
jkswor

City/Region: tok
Vessel Name: Missy marie
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Thanks all
Will just stick with my 24 lb lewmar
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our 12KG Rocna Vulcan, 50' 5/16 G4 chain, and 120' of 9/16" nylon braid has been excellent in anything including gale force winds, no anchor watch needed as we sleep well at night no matter what.
1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me point out that different anchor shapes are good in different anchoring surfaces. I presently have 3 types of anchors: a Danforth high tensile , a Lewmar claw and a Ronca. I also went with a CQR when cruising with a sailboat, bacled by a Fortress.

I use each for a different seabed. The Danforth is used in seaweed/grass and mud. I use it in SoCal where we have a lot of seaweed. The Lewmar is used in mud, particularly in the Northwast,no good in seaweed. The Ronca is good for seaweed and grass, but, I find, it pulls in mud which is reasonable looking at it's cross section. The CQR only let me down twice, both times in sand. It plowed right through that stuff; however I don't have the boat or anchor anymore. The Fortress proved to be too light to set properly, though I still have it, somewhere.

As far as boat length, each mfg has a different recommendation. Danforth says it's 12 lb hi-tansile is good for 1800 lbs, which is a 42' boat. Lewmar delta wants a 22 lb for <40'. Lewmar claw says its 16.5 is good for <30'. Ronca says its 13 lb is good for <26'.

Also the Danforth is smaller in cross section when folded up so I can store it in the aft lazerette, along with the rest of the stuff. So, it's my spare anchor when I have the claw or Ronca on the front.
All of this are my conclusions. You may differ.

Boris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the plow a Delta? Genuine CQR plows come in 20# and 25#. Delta comes in 22#. Copies of the CQR plow do not work any where as near as well as the genuine.

For the C Dory 25, I think that the Vulcan or Ronca, Mantus, Manson Supreme, of if you can score a Boss (no longer made??) they are the best. My current boat came with a 22# Delta, and I have a Fx 11 and 2 FX 7 Fortress as back ups.

Best to try out the anchor you have,. Set it with 7:1 scope, in a good sand bottom, or combined mud/sand/rock. and give full reverse after setting it properly. Remember to add 3' to depth of water to account for the bow height off the water.

Pretty much agree with Boris. Except I carried a lot more and larger anchors on my larger sailboats 70# 35#, 20# and 12# Danforth HT. 3 CQR--75#, 60# and 44#, plus 75# and 150# fisherman.

I save Fortress for sand and deep soft mud. Set well for me--but takes a few minutes. and agree they don't set in grass or kelp. For grass, the Fisherman with Shap palms at the tips. Old Northill Sea Plane anchor is also a great grass anchor. One of the most common anchors in the World is the Northill pattern. Hard to stow..

Ref your roller, get one which articulates, that allows the weight of the tip to pull the anchor off the roller:

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have carried 2nd anchor Fortresses on my last 3 boats as backups, I never needed them. The Spade, Rocna roll bar and the Rocna Vucan that were oversized always set hard for us every time, I have used almost every kind of anchor over the last 45 years from 45' down to 20' boats power and sail, I find the new generation anchors may not be perfect in all different bottoms but are by far the best allarounders making one anchor more than suitable for any anchorable situation.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micahbigsur@msn.com wrote:
I have carried 2nd anchor Fortresses on my last 3 boats as backups, I never needed them. The Spade, Rocna roll bar and the Rocna Vucan that were oversized always set hard for us every time, I have used almost every kind of anchor over the last 45 years from 45' down to 20' boats power and sail, I find the new generation anchors may not be perfect in all different bottoms but are by far the best allarounders making one anchor more than suitable for any anchorable situation.

The one place that one of two anchors will excel is non cohesive mud. These are the Fortress set at 45* (vs 32* which is standard) and the SuperMax (which is very hard to stow on a C Dory.). Sometimes the 3rd generation anchors will get down thru the mud into clay--and then they set up very well. A Fisherman or Northill pattern is one of the best for that situation, even though they have virtually zero holding power in the non cohesive mud...They penetrate faster than the 3rd generations.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a 14# Delta. Worked fine for years, but I always thought it under-sized for our 25. Couple of years ago, I bought a 20# Rocna Vulcan when Fisheries had a sale. That thing holds like it's attached to the earth. Last winter I added a Mantus swivel; got tired of the twisted rode.

On 50' of 1/4" chain and 200' of three strand .

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy,

How much chain did you have before you upgraded to 50' chain and 200' line?

At present I only have 15' of 1/4" chain. I've been thinking of replacing that with either 25' or 50' of 1/4" chain. Assuming the new 50' of chain you now use is longer than what you used to have, do you think the longer chain was clearly worthwhile, or is it more a gut feel thing where it just makes you sleep better at night Wink .

bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
localboy,

How much chain did you have before you upgraded to 50' chain and 200' line?

At present I only have 15' of 1/4" chain. I've been thinking of replacing that with either 25' or 50' of 1/4" chain. Assuming the new 50' of chain you now use is longer than what you used to have, do you think the longer chain was clearly worthwhile, or is it more a gut feel thing where it just makes you sleep better at night Wink .

Guidelines I have read state, "Minimum length of anchor chain should be one and a half times the length of the boat".
When I replaced my chain which came with the boat purchase, I went with 50ft of 3/8" high test. Make sure you also change the shackle to high test.

Martin.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rode is the original we've had since 2009 when we bought the boat and outfitted it. Only the swivel & anchor are new. The 14# Delta was at the lower end of their recommendation back then. The nylon 3 strand is showing some abrasion near the chain end, but I don't think it's enough to warrant replacement, yet. I thought of reversing it and making the bitter end the chain end, but I don't know how to braid it properly.

The extra chain definitively helps in holding power, IMO. Twice the length of the boat is what I had read somewhere back in 2009. We have never had an issue with dragging, assuming the proper scope is out. Even with the Delta. I sleep so much better because of it. Most of the time I try to anchor in very shallow water compared to the larger craft around us and do a 5:1 minimum. 7:1 is more the norm when possible. Again: sleeping better.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about a swivel between the anchor and the chain. A surveyor was doing his inspection on a boat I was buying and noted the swivel attached between the anchor and the chain. He said this was the wrong set-up and had seen many failed swivels bent out of shape that led to the chain and the anchor parting company in rough weather. He recommended the following set-up if useing a swivel. Working backwards, anchor shank, high test shackle, 4" of high test chain, swivel, then the high test chain from the anchor locker.
He also said, even better, dispense with the swivel. As I had never had a swivel before, I took his advise and removed the swivel. Never had a problem.

Martin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: