The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Both Tinker Toy and Alexa Jane (soon to be Emma Mae)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nancy and Bud

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Emma Mae
Photos: Emma Mae
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Both Tinker Toy and Alexa Jane (soon to be Emma Mae) Reply with quote

were both Florida boats. They both had 11 lb. Lewmar Claw anchors. Is that really enough for a 22?

I've had sailboats before in the 25' range weighing 4,500 lbs. I had 16.5 lb claws on them and never thought I was over anchored.

We will have 80' of 1/4' high test chain on the boat.

Do I need more than the 11 lb one.

We will be cruising predominantly on the Great Lakes and hopefully a trip to a coast before we quit boating for good.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although in some areas the Claw is a favored anchor, I have not had all that good success with the several I have tried. The 11# is rated for a 22' to 28' on Defender's web site. So from that prospective it is "adequate".

I believe a boat should not only have more than one anchor, but more than one type. We usually used a 14# Delta for the 22, and the 25 came with a 22# Delta. Works fine most of the time. The second anchor should be something like a Danorth HT or similar Fortress.

If was buying new anchors for a 22, I would strongly consider one of the Vulcan, Ronca, Mantus or Manson Supreme types in the 13-14# size range. Second anchor would be a FX 7 or Guardian7.

For a 25, I would buy a 22# Vulcan, Ronca, Mantus, or Manson Supreme. and a FX 11 Fortress..

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On our first SE Alaska & Yukon trip in 2003 we had a 11# Lewmar Claw anchor. I found it difficult to get a good set & even then if bottom conditions not near perfect it would not hold well, so on our 2004 SE Alaska cruise from Prince Rupert, BC, switched to a 22 lb Lewmar Claw & used it on our 2007 SE Alaska cruise as well. It was somewhat difficult to get a good set, but once set held very well, except in soft mud. In the soft mud it would just scoop up the mud in the flukes then skate on the mud surface with almost zero holding resistance. With that experience, I switch to a Manson Supreme 15# & then with a added windless to a 25# Manson Boss. I tried the Manson Boss in the same Alaska location where the Lewmar Claw wouldn’t hold & it instantly set & held there as well as every other place tried except for a rocky kelp covered bottom that wouldn’t have been good for holding with any anchor that would fit the pulpit of a CD22. My experience has shown me the newer style anchors like the Manson, Mantus, Ronca & Vulcan are all better then the claw. I now carry the 15# Manson Supreme as a spare. No doubt there are bottoms, where a totally different type anchor would be the best choice for a spare, but I haven’t found yet a need for any other then the Manson with others like the Ronca or Vulcan just as good. I do also have a Dansforth fortress, which I used in the past as a spare & for a lunch hook, this was back when I was using the 22# Lewmar Claw with 30 feet of chain & didn’t have a windless. At the present I think, the 15# Manson Surpreme is my best choice as a spare.

Yes, like Bob said the smaller anchors of the type he mentioned will hold if your are experienced & get a good set, but for most, I believe a heavier anchor up to 25 lbs & 50 feet of chain on a CD22 is a better choice depending on your area & type of cruising planned. The heavier anchor & chain will require the use of a windless.

Jay

Nancy and Bud

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I guess I'm just lucky with the claw. We have boated and used the claw in The Keys, the Great Lakes, Desolation Sound, BC and never had a problem with set or holding.

But I certainly don't have the boating experience that Dr. Bob has so I will rethink what I should do.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Claw (or sometimes called Bruce) anchor on a sailboat. It worked great in soft sandy bottoms as long as there was not much in the wind or wave department. NOT a great gripper IMHO. When I got the C-Dory it had a Danforth but I switched that out to a Delta Plow soon after. Used the Delta for several years, Mostly anchoring in the Broughtons and around the N end of Vancouver Island, generally rocky bottoms. Usually held great, but once in a mostly sandy bottom it did drag some. I switched to the Rocna for the next season.

The Bruce works really good for catching kelp or other salad ingredients, cutting through, under, the substrate.
The Delta works as it is called, a plow, lifting and separating the substrate.
The Rocna (and other versions of the "Spade") set fast and hold due to the design, compressing the substrate and digging deeper. You can feel the difference in the "set".

"The rules of Physics are never broken" -- from my HS Physics teacher.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Nancy and Bud

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only rules of physics I remember are: 1. Water is harder than rock. and 2. Gravity always wins.

Thanks for the info regarding your experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: