The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

22' Angler or Cruiser wanted- around 20k PNW

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Dory Boats Wanted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devilfish55

City/Region: SeaTac
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: 22' Angler or Cruiser wanted- around 20k PNW Reply with quote

Looking to buy an older c-dory 22' angler or cruiser. I'm starting a dive operation out of Seattle. Will travel to neighboring states of WA.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck in your search. This site (C-BRATS) is a really good place to find them first. And lots of great info on the boats here too. Best advice, know what you want, have $$$$ ready, and be willing to travel. The good ones will show up and sell QUICK so .. . . (re-read that last sentence.) You will be lucky to find either a Cruiser or Angler for 20K. But, if you are willing to look at a Classic, which has some of the attributes of the Angler, the larger cockpit, and some of the Cruiser, useable V-Birth space but no galley or rear passenger seat, You are in the price neighborhood.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to Harvey's excellent advice--, be prepared to put money down to hold the boat until you can survey and sea trial it. A boat at that price may need some work, some cosmetics and perhaps a new engine. So look at the total cost.
If you are going with a diving venue, then you may be off better with the Commuter version and bench seats. The number of divers you can handle in a 22 is gong to be limited.

Also this is a situation where the 19, with the cockpit size of the 22, but open may be a good buy, and less expensive. For example a 19 with good gear, which needed some trailer work and some cosmetics sold for $10,000 in FL. It was flipped. I did a 400 mile road trip to survey the boat (pro-bono) and advised the original person who was interested against buying the boat, but for someone knowledgeable it was a real buy.

There as a 22 which sold in the $12,500 range not too long ago.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Devilfish55

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice! It's really helpful. As for the number of divers, I will be using the boat for a small operation max 4 divers but also as a pleasure fishing and camping boat. I've looked at one 1983 classic but it needs a lot of TLC and the main motor was a 2 stroke. I'd prefer to find an angler with the larger deck but still with a cabin for camping. I have not seen any Commuters... The 19' seemed small for camping. I found this one in MT. Any thoughts? It's been in storage for 2 years.

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1989-c-dory-22-cruiser-7164025/
Devilfish55

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still on the hunt for a 22 C dory! The person sold the boat under my belt after weeks of communication. I had planned to make the drive to Montana to buy the boat and they sold it the day before... Not happy about that. Anyone out there selling?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll repeat myself:

Quote:
be prepared to put money down to hold the boat until you can survey and sea trial it.

If you see a boat you think you are interested in--get adequate photos and get a deposit on the boat--that reserves it. The owner can take back up offers.

I understand disappointment at not getting a boat. But after xx amount of time and someone shows up with $$ in hand.....the boat gets sold.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seconding what Bob said.

I was number x on the waiting list for 6 months before I found my boat, sitting in a yard. The first conversation with the owner was only, "what is your address, I am sending you a check overnight mail and then when you have that we can talk price, details and delivery."

First, nail down your purchase option as number 1, then follow with confirmation of satisfactory survey and mechanical inspection. Sorry, I should have made that more clear first, but these boats can really go fast.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Devilfish55

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Boat Found! Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I was lucky to find a 1987 22 cruiser in Portland with a 2011 Suzuki 90hp with 239 hours. The total hours on the boat from new are 1009! It's like new. On a side note, does anyone know where the hole and plug in front of the v birth into the cabin go? It's right in front of the toilet.
bluesea50

City/Region: Port Townsend
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 22' Angler or Cruiser wanted- around 20k PNW Reply with quote

Devilfish55 wrote:
Looking to buy an older c-dory 22' angler or cruiser. I'm starting a dive operation out of Seattle. Will travel to neighboring states of WA.

+++I have a good 22" fisherman for sale. Pt Townsend 360 3853723
Sheepshead

City/Region: hilton head
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Photos: Sheepshead
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a long way from you, but I have a 22 Angler that I would consider selling for 27K.
I use it for inshore diving mainly along with occasional weekend cruising trips. It's set up to dive 4 easily.

I actually love the boat, but I have purchased a larger boat, and just don't think I can afford to keep and maintain both.
txmntman

City/Region: GEORGETOWN
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Saint Somewhere
Photos: Saint Somewhere
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just bought a CD22, I will give you some thoughts.
* have your money lined up, so when you find what you want, you can close the deal.
* Use a marine surveyor. By the time I had bought my boat, I had used 3 different surveyors on 3 different boats, in different parts of the country. They kept me from making a costly mistake, and enabled me to make the most informed purchase on a boat.
* know what you want and how you plan to use it. I know I would love a C25, but would use a CD22 more often. I bought the CD22.
* don’t be afraid to look in other parts of the country. A marine survey told me more about the boat than I would have know looking at it, due to their experience. You can also get the boat shipped to you, if you can’t drive cross country.
I ended up with a used CD22 from 2000 miles away, and I am VERY HAPPY with my purchase and the boat. (BTW, boat buying is FUN looking back, and probably frustrating while doing it.)

Just my thoughts. Your mileage may vary.

-Mike

Boston Whaler Montauk "Joe Bob" Sold
Hobie Cat "Mikey Likes It" Sold
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Dory Boats Wanted All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: