starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing that helps the boiling of water is wrapping foil around the rim of the bbq so that wind does not pull away the heat. wrap it around to the foil is higher then the bottom of the pot. we cook the crab after halving it. takes up a lot less room. Bay seasoning is great to use.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find I can cook 2 cleaned crabs (4 halves) in 1+ quarts of sea water. I cover the crab halves up to maybe 40% the distance from the bottom of the pot to the top of the pile of crab halves -- probably even less actually. Using a lid is a must. Rotating the crabs in the pot is also a must (I just use tongs to quickly pick the halves out, put them on a large plate or whatever, and then quickly replace them back in the pot in the opposite, or at least different, order.

How long to cook is another variable. At home I always cook whole uncleaned crab in a rolling boil for 18 minutes or so. Cooking cleaned halves with this "steaming method" on board takes much shorter......around 12 minutes. I've never cooked cleaned half crab in a rolling boil at home, but I would guess that would take even less time.

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
.....it is better to toss then into the ice chest as you catch them.

I agree with Tom on this. I have experimented with keeping crab alive on board. If they are placed in a bucket of sea water they die in 2 to 4 hours depending on temperature (they suffocate when the oxygen is depleted). In a dry bucket with a wet towel over them, they stay alive 8 to 12 hours depending on temp. I've never tried it, but I suspect if you put ice on top of the towel those times could be extended even further.

Another thing is don't put ice directly on cleaned crab. You don't want fresh water draining thru the meat; it leaches out the flavor (sitting in fresh water would be even worse). To maintain flavor put the cleaned crab halves in ziplocks; then under ice.
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
Quote:
.....it is better to toss then into the ice chest as you catch them.

I agree with Tom on this. I have experimented with keeping crab alive on board. If they are placed in a bucket of sea water they die in 2 to 4 hours depending on temperature (they suffocate when the oxygen is depleted). In a dry bucket with a wet towel over them, they stay alive 8 to 12 hours depending on temp. I've never tried it, but I suspect if you put ice on top of the towel those times could be extended even further.

Another thing is don't put ice directly on cleaned crab. You don't want fresh water draining thru the meat; it leaches out the flavor (sitting in fresh water would be even worse). To maintain flavor put the cleaned crab halves in ziplocks; then under ice.

Good stuff! Thumbs Up

DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are you guys using to boil crab on the boat? My magma is not producing anywhere near enough heat to boil water.... I'm going to have to come up with a new solution.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: