The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Debating between a 16' and 19'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave him a pass on that football field comment. Lakes Washington and Union and Puget Sound are significant bodies of water which many 16's happily ply

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things get dicey if the waves are taller than the CD 16. It doesn't like short periods, but who does? I've yet to have a real problem avoiding those conditions. Once off Baha point outside of Nootka Sound, I came to my senses and turned and ran. I found out that I can do that in a single trough in ocean swell.

It is small enough to hide in protected areas too small for other boats. You'd really have to look for trouble. Here, I'm pounding my way to Stehekin. As others have said, it is mostly a matter of what the people on board can take. That may be a matter of sanity.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One small but pricey issue on 16s has to do with windshield wipers. Manual wipers are fine on an angler because the handle can easily be reached when seated. That is not the case with the cruiser, where you can't reach the handle when seated.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad had a car had manual windshield wipers. I didn't think that being able to reach them was any kind of "advantage." I had a car that had vacuum powered wipers. They slowed down, almost stopped, when accelerating or going up a hill.

I went with the new fangled electrical "motorized" wipers on my CD 16 cruiser (both sides). When you need them, the outboard is running so there no concern about battery discharge. And they work even while you are busy with other navigational issues. Decadent.

I also reversed the opening on the hatch so that I could lift it and spray back at the windshield with fresh water. Easy to do because the cruiser has a V berth to climb into.

Nobody will ever convince me that the angler has any advantages over the cruiser unless it is $24,000 cheaper. Even then, I think it would just be cheaper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dotnmarty wrote:
I gave him a pass on that football field comment. Lakes Washington and Union and Puget Sound are significant bodies of water which many 16's happily ply

Yes, the gentleman underestimates the 16's ability to handle big water. we have cruised on Lake Washington in significant wave conditions, this photo illustrates what a 16 Angler can do.

We also once returned from Sucia to Bellingham in near gale wind conditions (not recommended of course). Bellingham Bay was like a washing machine, and although it was uncomfortable, it was not unsafe!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Mikela

City/Region: Kittery
State or Province: ME
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info, thanks so much for explaining your experience. It's super helpful.

davidJ wrote:
It would be best if you could look at and compare the 16 and 19 in person. But that is hard to do because there aren't many 16's around, and there are fewer 19ers around. When I was boat shopping, at the boat show they had a 16, 19, and 22 for me to look at. If my wife was into boating it would of been the 22, but she is not interested. I was wanting to get the 16 because I had a Ford Ranger 4 cylinder truck, and I knew it would pull the 16 easily, and the 16 was about $ 10K cheaper than the 19, but there was a problem. I wanted to use it in the San Juan Islands for fishing, shrimping, and crabbing and there was just not enough room for shrimp pots, crab pots, down riggers, a pot puller, ice chest, fishing gear and me. I looked at the 16 for about a half hour, then did the same with the 19. The 19 is not just 3 ft. longer. It is also wider deeper and taller, I can stand between the two seats, looking out the center window for a better view when docking or if there is debris in the water. There is much more elbow room, more room in the foreward sleeping area, more room everywhere, and and I can fit all my gear on board.

Sometimes I go out by my self, but usually there are 2 of us onboard, some times 3 and once in a while 4 people. The 19 is easy to launch and retrieve by my self. When the water level is even with the top of the trailer fenders the boat will float off or on the trailer by itself. I have the tailgate down and step from the dock to the tailgate, and pull the boat up to the stop, click it in, tighten up the winch, hook up the safety chain and go. I have a canopy on my truck with a boat rack on it to hold onto when stepping from the dock to the truck. I pulled the 19 around town and to the boat launch for about 10 years, before I got a bigger truck, its a small town, and the boat launch is only about a half a mile away from my house. The 4 cylinder is to small for the highway.

All C Dory's will pound when running into the waves, wind and tide, but you can put your trim tabs down to bring the bow down, and slow down a bit and it isn't to bad, but if the waves get up to five footers it's not to much fun, but I still feel safe. We can run up to 30 mph with a 90 hp. motor, but usually cruise at 20 to 25 mph, probably less than 5% of our cruising time is below 20 mph. We usually get between 4 to 5 miles to the gallon.

Think of the 19 as a supersized 16.

Mikela

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super helpful, thanks Mike.

MikeR wrote:
I have both a 16’ Angler and a 22’ cruiser and if forced to pick one I honestly can’t say which one it would be. (Although if really in that position it would likely mean I’d have to sell the 22 and keep the lower cost 16). Rob hit the nail on the head, I liken cruising in the 16 to backpacking and tent camping whereas the 22’ (or 19) is more like a small RV. Both completely different experiences yet equally fun in their own right.

Some things I really like about the 16 Angler, compared to the 22:
-Fits completely in my standard garage with door height of 6’11”
-Have towed extensively with my 4cyl Mazda car, especially when I owned a F250 (though now with a Tacoma I tend to use that more)
-This weekend I averaged 10.3 mpg cruising 134 miles on the Honda 50
-The cuteness and fun factor- it is so nimble and just plain fun to pilot, and also gets compliments everywhere
-You can squeeze the 16 into almost any marina dock or anchorage that larger boats won’t- similar for the 19 bit especially true of the 16’s.

The main thing I love about the 22 over the 16 is added space for carrying a bike onboard (to ride around the destination islands and towns), and the enclosed cabin with door, cabin heat, and shore power, combined with the larger hull size and marina “dry stack” storage which enable year round boating for me.

My 16 Angler is set up for extensive cruising thanks to her original owner of 30 years Brock aka Catman who upsized to a 23 a couple years back. He’s logged thousands of hours and miles on the 16. Photos from this weekends 16 cruise are in my latest 2 albums, including a shot of Ari, one of the most decked-out 19’s set up for extended family cruising and fishing. http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album3127&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

You can’t go wrong with either, but personally as a solo cruiser I enjoy the 16 every bit as much (dare I say more?) as the larger boat.

-Mike
Mikela

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love all of this! That set up is exactly the set up I'm looking for! Now I'm even more bummed I missed the 16' that sold recently here in Maine.

Pat Anderson wrote:
This should help the OP decide that the 16 Angler is what he really needs! MikeR is a lucky guy. Not only does he have two C-Dorys but he is the proud owner of what us old Brats refer to as "THE" 16 Angler - Bambina! Brock (Catman) had that set up perfectly for extended cruising - we once cruised to Desolation Sound together - and it was always immaculate. No way could we have ever kept ANY boat as clean as Bambina always was. He had devised a unique way for sleeping on it with his feet in the cuddy! These photos were from Desolation Sound in September 2005 - hard to believe it was that long ago. Brock proved over and over again what cruising a person can do on a 16 Angler!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: