View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:29 am    Post subject: Cumberland River Reply with quote

Didn't see any recent threads to hijack, so thought I'd start a new one. original plans were to put in on Kentucky Lake, looking for places to possibly revive the Meet in the Middle gathering. For now, not going to follow thru with that idea. But I did find out, while several suggested I look at Moors Marina, that marina does not allow folks to stay on their boats. Green Turtle Bay was much more receptive to the idea and they do allow transients to remain on their boats.

We launched at Kentucky Lake Dam State Park Marina. There are no docks to use while launching your boat, however there are some docks very near by. Relatively steep ramp, so no problem launching. Water this time of year was about 5' below summer normal. I notified the ranger office that I was parking my rig for several weeks, and he asked that I park in the upper level lot and took down some information. They do patrol and like contact information. Headed south on Kentucky Lake to check out Moors Marina. Then back down stream and through the Barkley Canal to Lake Barkley. Stopped at Green Turtle Bay marina, before continuing south.

Passed the Castle on the Cumberland. Pretty impressive structure. This is what they call the Tennessee State Penitentary.

The first night we anchored in Mammoth Furnace Bay. Very secluded and quiet this time of year. I followed the deeper channels shown on my chartplotter to enter the bay. There are no marked channels with buoys to follow in, and with the lower water levels, you have to pay attention to the charts. I never saw less than about 8' of water until I was in a cove next to shore. I anchored just about where the anchor symbol shows on Active Captain. It did take several tries to get a good hold. Some birds just stood by and watched. I suspect the bottom is very soft mud on top of rock. With a water temp of 62 degrees, and night air temp of 43, there was steam fog in the morning. It burned off quickly. One washed up red nun buoy on the shore. Leaving the next morning, I again followed deeper areas shown on my chartplotter, but pretty much went straight across Lake Barkley to the other side where the main channel was.

Very few other boats on the water. This was during the week. Mostly fisherman. The next night we anchored in Dover Island chute. Before getting there, we considered stopping in Dover, but the ramp dock was in poor condition and had some locals fishing off of it. One had a large inflatable pad that he was laying on. The area next to the ramp/dock was pretty rocky, so I decided against beaching there. Continued into the chute. Had one tow go by on the main channel as we anchored. Anchored at the upstream end near the main shore in about 10 feet of water. Good hold in mud. I also set out a stern anchor, as the wind was more controlling than the current, and we had a wind against the current. Another quiet and secluded night. More steam fog the next morning due to the night's cold air temp.

Next morning we pulled out of the Chute behind a tow. Followed him for a while at 5 kts, then passed and picked our speed up as we had a time we wanted to be at Clarksville by. Pulled thru the chute at Cumberland Island, by the Tennessee Valley Authority Cumberland Steam Plant. Lots of working barges in the area that haul the coal for the plant. After leaving the chute, we watched the Cumberland City Ferry operate. It is one of those that has an articulating T configuration. (Tug is attached at the side of the ferry barge, and swings depending on direction of travel.) I called the Ferry captain on CH 13 and asked if he minded me coming within 50 yards to get some photos. He said not at all and asked if I was taking video or still. Ended up he wanted a video, so I captured video and then texted it to him as he provided me with his cell number. In turn, he texted me back the view from the bridge. Stopped at an old lock wall (lock no longer exists) for lunch. (Next to the Yellow Creek) Today we saw several fishing boats and a few recreational boats. It's Saturday. Stopped at the McGreggor Park courtesy docks in Clarksville to empty the porta potti and dump some garbage. Not impressed with the space here. The ramp/docks porta potty was a full mess. I didn't see any other toilet facilities nearby. Docks are ok for a quick lunch stop or something, but not sure I'd want to tie up here over night. I believe there was also a sign on them saying for loading and unloading only. However it also listed a number to call if you were looking to stay overnight. Continue another mile upstream to the Clarksville Marina, which is fairly new, and fairly nice. They discount gas 10cents a gallon with Boat US, and dockage 25%. For our 25, our covered slip with 30 amp service for the night was $30, only $22.50 with the Boat US discount. For those needing a pumpout, there are pumpout connections at each slip, along with potable water. Several restaurants nearby, one just at the top of the hill right at the marina.

For this cruise, I'm using the Cumberland River Guidebook by Jerry M Hay, which is the guide book I'd recommend for anyone else cruising this River. Lots of good and detailed information, easy to follow.

Tomorrow we'll continue heading upstream. Plans are to get to Nashville by Monday evening, maybe spend two nights, before turning around to head back to Kentucky Lake Dam State Park and pull out. I've been running both at displacement speeds and on plane. I did hit a lot or large branch today while up on plane. No damage, but it did leave some splinters in my outboards trim anode. Haven't seen much debris in the water, and this one was apparently just below the surface. Was hoping to see a little more color in the leaves, but maybe we are about a week or two too early. There is some color, but not a lot.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,

2 nights in Nashville is about right. Hope you have a reservation for the Nashville city dock. Our flotilla’s leader found like Big Gubment bureaus throughout the known universe, they are closed Sunday and Monday, and not very responsive on Tuesdays through Saturdays, and don’t answer the phone ever. But if you leave a message, they will get back to you as soon as hell freezes over. Unless they’re on break, or don’t feel like it, or it’s too cold.

https://www.nashville.gov/Parks-and-Recreation/Water-Activities/Riverfront-Dockage.aspx

Side tieup has some wakes from big tows during the day, but very little after dark. Bungeys, losts of fenders help. A pedestrian bridge into downtown is right over the dock. This was yet another dock where 30A power was inop on 2 pedestals and our 50A adapter came in handy. Highly recommended. (Of course, Thataway had one too, along with a 480v/200A adapter we didn’t need). This dock is on the Nissan Stadium side, the Nashville side docks must still be wrecked.

Now I see I haven’t posted a single pic from that particular adventure in my album. Another winter project, unless we are in Key West again. The paper plate taped to the port window had the confirmation number on it.

Stay safe and healthy!

John

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Jack

I used to love to say that to my friend Jack, when we were out in public, until DB Cooper days anyway. (Thanks Colby for that little stroll down memory lane.)

Now back to your thread and boating. I believe you are in the neighborhood of where I have been looking at to do a Cumberland River, Nashville, and the three rivers trip next fall, so information about Fall Colors is helpful. That is one of my main reasons for being there. Can't believe you launched a 25 without a side dock though. That is not in any of my plans.

I'm curious when the best time for good (great) Fall Colors would be for that trip?

Now back to my Hyjack Rolling Eyes I have been reading about trailer wheel hubs and with the miles you put on, I am curious what hubs you had on the 22 and now on the 25. AND, if you would rather put that into a new thread, I will accept the HyJack diversion. Wink

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John. I met some folks last evening that will be on that BNA dock Tuesday. Nice couple on the yacht Small World, that travel up and down the Tennessee andCumberland. They also said to call for reservations or I could email. Was going to call tomorrow but guess I’ll email tonight. Either way this time of year and being week days I don’t expect it to be a problem. Neither did Small World. Took a side trip down Harpeth River. Beautiful! Saw a little more color along the bluffs! Coming thru Chatham lock was no problem. Small World had called the lock tender earlier on the phone and we managed to pass one tow and get in before him. I had planned to anchor in Harpeth Chute but then Small World suggested the Harpeth River. Then mentioned the Riverside Restaurant just a bit farther. I read they have good Catfish and while I’m never tired of Rosanne’s cooking, I figured we’d eat or take out and stay on their dock tonight. I don’t expect it to be real calm beings as how we are right on the Cumberland, but we’ll see how it goes.

Harvey the colors seemed to be a little better today. I still think another week or two before they are prime, but it’s warming up again for a few days. I think each year really depends on when the cold comes in.
As for hubs, Oil Bath has worked well for me on both boats trailers. Kodiak makes a nice aftermarket. It’s important that you make sure to get the correct seals. The ones that come with the kit may not be the right ones for some axles. The oil bath runs about 40 degrees F cooler and you can see the oil condition thru the plastic caps.
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, Thanks for the info on the Colors. AS you probably know, the Fall color is dependent primarily on two things, Decrease in daylight time, and temperature decreases. Seasonal hydration will have some affect as well, but also has to do with how long the leaves will hang, given non windy conditions. Thanks too for the hub info, and now to get back to your regular thread info. Since we westerners don't have bugs here, would you consider it necessary to have bug screen there, and does it need to be no-seeum screen or just typical mosquito screen? It doesn't sound like you are getting down into the Bug Killing 30's yet.

Thanks again, and travel safe.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last nite was the first nite of this trip I noticed any bugs after dusk. However last night was the first warm night since we launched this time. Was around 60 where past nights have been in the 40’s with it cooling into the 50’s as the sun went down. But yeah they can be bad and it includes the tiny noseums. Also along the waterways Mayflies can be terrible at nite. You can wake up to a boat covered with them! Mixed in dew they can be a real mess to clean off. I had just a very few the first nite but none since.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I’m already having concern about that dock. Didn’t make advance reservations as I didn’t know if we’d even go that far. Today is Monday and we’ll get there shortly after lunch. I emailed and called last nite but no response and I doubt I’ll get one today. Guess I’ll get there and if wide open, settle in. Even tried calling the number given for park police with no response. If you don’t see another write up here from me tomorrow, come bail me out of the pokey. Embarassed

Btw, had one American Tug come in yesterday evening to join us on the dock here at Riverside. Earlier we had some clowns on two unregistered Caymas racing up and down the channel here. I was temped to pull a line across the water in their path, but then they stopped and loaded out. (Launch ramp right across the River here.). Other than one more smaller wake late at night, it was nice and calm here. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted, double post. (Slow internet...)
gulfcoast john

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,
Did you think I wasn't serious about them being closed Sundays and Mondays and never answering the phone?

You know I am always at least as serious as the Grim Reaper!

Check that website again and note how they imply 'same day' reservations may not happen on a Tuesday.

That website warning about the 'obstruction' between the 2 pedestals is reportedly twisted rebar. I floated over it, but if the river is down 5 feet I'd avoid it.

It is a great stop...I guess I'd chance it and email them with credit card info today for a paper trail of good intentions.

For the rest of you Brats planning a stop in Nashville, make your reservations up to 2 months in advance!

This is the only marina we've ever found where there is NO provision to pay at the marina. Even in Canada. Even in Quebec!

The good news...you could search Nashville for weeks trying to find bad music or bad barbeque!

Best!

Reaper John
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other issue which I had advised Colby in an PM was that there needs to be a code to get out of the dock impound, as well as one to get in the dock impound. No reason to go to Nashville, unless you want the music and food. There are a fair number of homeless--but this is based on the group trip 2 years ago. Being cooler and with Covid there could be more, or less. No problems with the homeless anywhere we went.

What was amazing to us was the talent which was playing in the dives at 10 AM. These are mostly younger folks who just want someone to hear them and get that "Break".

We are fortunate and have several relatives who live in Nashville, so we always have folks who are "in the know"...Great town!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Exclamation Exclamation Great music with pancakes and omelet. Can't wait. As to the reservations, would 2 years in advance be too early Laughing

So if you are on that dock, does that mean you cannot get off the dock, or get back to your boat IF you are able to get off the dock Confused Disgust

Thank you for the buggy info Colby. I still want to go -- for the music Cool

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I knew you were serious John, especially after reading the reviews on Active Captain. So we had a nice ride up here seeing only some working tows around some barge staging areas and one down bound tow. I think we’re on the right dock here in Nashville now, right below the stadium. Didn’t see any obstruction tape and parked at the far upriver end. Good electric power. See only one pontoon here, closer to the other end. However there is a
Padlock and chain on the gate, so we probably are not getting anywhere today, unless I catch the pontoon people and see if they’ll give me the code. Assuming they aren’t crawling over the fence! Rosanne said she wouldn’t do that. Mr. Green Colby
gulfcoast john

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob is right (if only I had a dollar for every time I typed that here)...

I'd forgotten, but the gate code is required to EXIT as well as enter the dock area.

In the event of a massive dock fire, you would FIRST want to remember to get that slip of paper with the gate code off your boat, hopefully before it explodes.

I've watched no-see-ums crawl through the tiny holes in 'no see um' screens. They mostly only bite around sunup/sundown. We find it more effective to just close the windows and air condition then. The Thermacell systems seem most effective at repelling them and mosquitoes, up to a point.

Happy travels!
John
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, In case of fire, I think I would be getting the boat off the dock and probably not be back -- unless it was my boat that started the fire. Then I might not need that gate code after I got off the dock. Embarassed

"Thermacell" Guess I will need to look into that. AC, not likely, but if I run a fan fast enough maybe they will just splatter on the fan blades. Twisted Evil

Thanks again for all the great info.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Baxter

City/Region: Sheridan
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Baxter ll
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Cumberland River Reply with quote

We too stayed at Turtle Bay. Launch and Parked there. Sept 2019 with “Little Bit” and they went as far as Nashville. Beautiful trip, lots of history, and Over 100f every Humid day. Sleeping had to be done with minimum Clothing.
And slept at city dock in downtown. Across the River there was a loud band that made the boat vibrate Into the night but did not help on cooling.

We have never traveled with another boat but found company enjoyable.

We have trailered from WY to Chesapeake Bay, Riedeu Waterway, CA ,
Arkansas River, Mississippi, St. Croix R., Missouri in SD, Yellowstone, Roosevelt Lake, but mostly Puget Sound then up into Canada a lot.
The later being our favorite spot. We head north after Friday Harbor Spring C-Brat gathering. Not 2020 though. Above list not all inclusive.

Only advice on Cumberland is go when cooler If not equipped with A/C. Never did locate where Abe Lincoln’s dad had a sulfur mine.

Baxter in Winter storage Just missing our first snow storm and as we get more feeble and can’t entice a grandson to come along as a deck hand it will probably go up for sale come spring.

If that happens it will end over 70 years of water ventures. Including living by Lake Michigan and building rafts to paddle out into Lake, a stupid thing to do.

Not as many years and miles as Lin and Larry Pardy did in their day. But not many do 40 years and 200,000 miles.

Well if you get a chance do the Cumberland, Kentucky Lake, and if head south And wind up in Mobile. AL.

There are more places to go with a trailerable boat that one usually has time to do.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: