City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DayBreak wrote:
Good point Dr. Bob. We have never been down to LP. Warmer water temperature would be a positive. Thanks. Is the lake water level better in the fall?

Historically the lowest levels of the year are usually April- May, and highest are late June- July. But the yearly levels are more important.

Each elevation has its own features. If you want to use the Castle Rock cut 3580 feet plus 2' for good luck would be the lowest lake level acceptable. You can go thru Antalope Canyon if the cut is closed.

The Canyons are all different, and short cuts may not be available. A lot of eyeball navigation...but after about a dozen trips there, you get to know what is going to be open and what is not. The current lake level is about 3592 feet. So Castle Rock cut would be open. You can google this information.

It is nice to have a top map of Lake Powell, and that helps give the elevations of the water vs profiles of the canyons. It is always a great place to go! We love it.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dr. Bob. Good information for us to consider. A top map showing elevations of the waters is very important to us as first timers with safety in mind. Thank you so much. I think the fall of 2021 will be good for us to make this visit to LP. Smile
Desert Dory

City/Region: Tucson
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Desert Dory
Photos: Desert Dory
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gary,
I'm sure just about any time at Powell is a good time. Dr. Bob has a lot of experience there and makes some very good points about fall vs spring and the water levels. Depending on what kind of chartplotter you have you can make adjustments for the varying water levels to help keep you out of trouble.

On my Garmin I set colors for varying depths/zones once I figured out what the "actual" water level was when we got there. An example would be a Dark Blue for water depth between 300 and 500 feet. If I had some kind of emergency and HAD to travel at night, keeping the boat in the Dark Blue would pretty much keep me in the main lake channel and out of trouble for the most part. Having said that, DO NOT travel at night on Powell unless you absolutely have to.

Our trip in May was perfect as far as weather, and the water level was 3601 and climbing. Predictions for 2021 don't look as good for the water level so fall may be the best bet.

My wife and I were supposed to go to Powell for a week on 13 Oct. Then, due to a family emergency, we got delayed and weren't able to leave until the 23rd. We missed our weather window as a front moving into the Powell area on 26th was forecasting a high of 42 and a low of 31 starting that Monday, and not getting a whole lot better for the days following. That's a little too cold for these desert dwellers.

The Mrs. suggested Havasu as plan B and that's were we ended up going. The same front threw out some nasty 35-45 (gusts to 60) mph winds but the temps were much more bearable. Had to hunker down in the same spot for Sunday and Monday nights (snugged up behind Issacs Rock on the Colorado River) but, we made it thru the worst of it and ended up having a great, first trip to Havasu.

Be sure to post up what you end up deciding to do. We may be able to make it up there again.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Desert Dory.

Sounds like your Garmin has nice features.

We will need to drive a moderate distance to see and experience LP but it is on our bucket list.

Thank you for your help and advice on travel to LP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: