thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A kayak or dinghy can get you to a place where you can get cell phone reception. If you can see Navajo Mountain--(and you can see the cell towers on a good day) There are some places where it is impossible to take the c Dory on Powell, where a Kayak of Dinghy are of great value. We always took a dinghy. We have friends who go there just for the Kayaking--use their boat as a base and do day trips- We all have different goals.

We usually spent a month each time we went to Powell. The biggest issue is getting good ice if you want cold drinks or keep certain foods. We saw some folks from England who were on the lake for over a week--they had camping gear and rented PWC's. They went as far as possible on the Main River, on the San Juan arm and up Escalante. Back pack type of food, purified the river water, We have also run into groups kayak beach camping, with no primary vessel.

Powell is truly a magnificent place!!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desert Dory, excellent report & photos from your first trip. I just got back today from a week solo there out of Bullfrog. 245 miles exploring on the C-Dory & 50 or so more on the Kaboat. Perfect Temperature ranging for the most part in the upper 70’s. I got on the lake the day before you left. It would have been good to cross wakes with you. You must of had some hot days as the water was warmer then late last September. Very few House boats at Oak Canyon, where I saw George & a friend camped with his 22CD Nancy D. Also at Oak Canyon, I saw a guy tent camping by his float plane.

Jay

Desert Dory

City/Region: Tucson
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Desert Dory
Photos: Desert Dory
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunkydory wrote:
Desert Dory, excellent report & photos from your first trip. I just got back today from a week solo there out of Bullfrog. 245 miles exploring on the C-Dory & 50 or so more on the Kaboat. Perfect Temperature ranging for the most part in the upper 70’s. I got on the lake the day before you left. It would have been good to cross wakes with you. You must of had some hot days as the water was warmer then late last September. Very few House boats at Oak Canyon, where I saw George & a friend camped with his 22CD Nancy D. Also at Oak Canyon, I saw a guy tent camping by his float plane.

Jay

Well, that's a bummer! I would have loved to have chatted with you for a bit. We never did make it into Oak Canyon. Next time maybe.

Yes, the first few days our weather was what you northerners might consider "hot". For us, it was perfect! Between 85 and 90. Then the front came thru on Tuesday and Wednesday morning was a bit cool for us (e.g. me wearing a sweatshirt in the Rainbow Bridge pic).

It looks like we were pretty close on mileage too. We came back into the ramp at Wahweap, our start point, at exactly 275 miles.

This was my first "big" trip with the Dory and I was pretty impressed with the 90 ETEC. When the water was somewhat smooth we could run at 4500 rpm/25 mph/ getting 4.9 mpg. This seemed to be our best "fast" cruise speed after playing with trim/rpm and watching fuel flow. Best slow cruise seemed to be 6 mph getting between 10.5 and 11 mpg.

Allen
Desert Dory

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
A kayak or dinghy can get you to a place where you can get cell phone reception. If you can see Navajo Mountain--(and you can see the cell towers on a good day) There are some places where it is impossible to take the c Dory on Powell, where a Kayak of Dinghy are of great value. We always took a dinghy. We have friends who go there just for the Kayaking--use their boat as a base and do day trips- We all have different goals.

Powell is truly a magnificent place!!

I totally agree Bob and I was just stating what worked, or didn't work for my particular case. Our Yak is a tandem and a bit cumbersome at times. If it were a single I probably would have used it for a bit of fishing. As it was, I probably caught about a dozen smallies each evening just walking the shoreline when we were stopped for the night. I wouldn't try to dissuade anybody from taking what they think they need. Just, in my case, it wasn't needed.

As you said "We all have different goals".

As far as cell coverage, it was VERY spotty, at best, even when we could see the mountain. That might be a carrier issue as much as anything. I have T-Mobile and it's definitely not the best in remote areas. They are getting better though. I pretty much just left my phone in airplane mode and used to stream music to a bluetooth speaker.

The Garmin inReach is was effective in this situation. I have preset messages that I send to my family every morning, evening, and at various points along my route. They get a text message, and email, with a message telling them I'm ok, having a great time, blah, blah, blah along with my GPS coordinates at the time the message was sent. They can click on the message and it takes them to a map showing my location.

This worked great to get a message to my wife to contact the Bullfrog marina concerning the grounded houseboat and it was the first time I used it for a situation where someone actually needed some help. My wife was very grateful to know that it would actually work to get the message out in an emergency situation, even though this wasn't a real "emergency".

Cheers, Allen
tennawalker

City/Region: Northeastern Nevada
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Ruby Crest
Photos: Ruby C
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Hey, we met you. Reply with quote

We met you just as you were headed to Bullfrog. We were the burgundy CD out for our maiden voyage. Guess what? We are now a C-Brat Very Happy Your boat looked great.
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey, we met you. Reply with quote

tennawalker wrote:
We met you just as you were headed to Bullfrog. We were the burgundy CD out for our maiden voyage. Guess what? We are now a C-Brat Very Happy Your boat looked great.

tennawalker 1st post great place to go on your maiden voyage.

Desert Dory

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey, we met you. Reply with quote

tennawalker wrote:

Hello tennawalker,
Great to see you on here and even better to have seen you out on the lake, and, what better place to do your maiden voyage! Being a Powell virgin I was just in awe of the whole place.

Also, your Dory was beautiful!! The burgundy is probably my favorite color on these boats.

I hope your trip was as awesome as ours was and would love to see you post up a thread about your adventure. They're a friendly group here and I'm pretty sure everybody would love to read about it.

If you PM Mike (Tyboo) he'll get you set up with an album where you can store your pics so you can post some up here.

Also, please forgive me as I didn't get a picture of your boat on the water when we ran into each other. Not sure what I was thinking there Embarassed

Cheers, Allen
thataway

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desert Dory, Agree with the spotty coverage. We have a Verizon hot spot or cheap phone, just for remote areas where AT&T would not work!

The Garmin InReach is a great tool. Glad it worked for you in an urgent situation!

If you are a ham radio operator, there is also an open 2 meter repeater on Navajo Mountain: W7WAC. Repeater ID: 49-218, Downlink: 146.96000, Uplink: 146.36000
easy does it

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Photos: Easy Does It
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

Good point about the kayaks. We are in our mid seventies just starting out our boating career, our lives are rather boring compared to my younger days. We watched the movie "forks over knives" We are creating our own "Blue Zone" plant based diet and and lots of exercise so the C-Dory is really our floating base. At our age it is either GET REAL about lifestyle changes or go down the tubes! We believe we are adding 6 years to our life. My wife is vegan, gluten free, aniti inflammatory diet. but nothing is going to stop us from achieving our dream. I bought her a food dryer and she has been busy all week. I have a lot of freeze dried foods for myself. The point is don't let disabilities or other issues keep you off the water!!!! We added a short piece pvc pipe secured with stainless steel hose clamps to the chrome rails, and then attached the yakima tower base from our car to the pvc pipe. (this allowed the bars to be high enough to clear the top which goes up in the middle) that way we did not have to drill holes to attach the base for the yakima high towers and we could use what we already had. I was going to use some 96" bars for our floating circus but realized I could not walk around the sides with those so used some 48" with Hully rollers they just clear the canvas. I then mounted a roller bar of 1" pvc across the back with a larger piece covered with foam to make a roller bar into the water by the main engine. These are large 50lb kayaks so I come off the top with the hully rollers onto the back roller into the water and visa versa. I guess I will stack one SUP on top for an early morning paddle because the water is still cold. Is satellite phone a good option?
WeekiTiki

City/Region: Weeki Wachee
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Just Cruisin'
Photos: WeekiTiki
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Actual pics

Have to show these to the wife

RBJ

City/Region: Green Bay
State or Province: WI
Vessel Name: C Scamp
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Desert Dory - Lake Powell 16-21 May 2020 Reply with quote

Desert Dory wrote:
Well, my very first LP trip is done and all I can say is WOW!! What a place!

Me and a buddy of mine had been planning to go to Powell for a few months and, after a couple week delay for the CV19 closure, we were off and running the morning of Saturday, May 16th.

After the 7 hour drive from my house in Tucson we launched at Wahweap at 3pm that afternoon. Up the lake we went, ending up just past Dangling Rope before finding a little cut to spend the night. Just enough beach and out away from the main lake and wind.

After a great night on the boat we woke the next morning, had our coffee and breakfast, and set course for Halls Crossing. After stopping there for some gas my buddy wanted to keep going uplake. Not what I had in mind (can't see it all in one trip), so I reined him in and told him "No! We're going back downriver to Escalante!" We poked around Annie's and a couple other places and ended up in Iceberg Canyon where we spent the second night.

Day three we headed into the Escalante arm and poked around there for a bit until we got to the end of Willow Creek Canyon. Spectacular! It was a bit early but, we called it a day, raised the engine, pulled the boat up as far as we could go and spent the night up there at the end of the canyon.

A bit later that evening a guy in a rental houseboat tried to get up to a beach across from us and totally grounded the boat on a sandbar. They were safe, undamaged, and in a really nice spot so I told them to hang there, enjoy the spot, and we'll get word to the marina ASAP.

VHF and cell phones were useless so I ended up sending a message with the Garmin inReach to my wife asking her to call Bullfrog marina the following morning to see if they would send someone out to assist. Bullfrog said they would try to get someone out Tuesday afternoon but they were concerned with the wind forecast (gusts 40+ on the main lake body).

Long story short, the rental guy said they Bullfrog never came out so they ended up spending about 6 hours Wednesday morning digging the boat out. They did finally get it off the bar and spent the last couple days of their trip at another location. Once it was over they said it was quite the adventure.

After leaving Willow Creek we poked around the rest of the arms in Escalante and made the mistake of heading down lake Tuesday afternoon during the 40+ mph wind event. It was "Sporty" to say the least and, although the boat handled it fine, we made it a short distance and decided to duck into the cut where the sunken boat is. Spent night four there at the sunken boat.

The next day we hit Reflection, Rainbow Bridge, and a couple other places before stopping at Dangling Rope for gas and ice.

Pulling in to Rainbow Bridge we had the place to ourselves, at least until right before we left. Pretty sweet.

After leaving Dangling Rope we headed down river for night five. We wanted to be fairly close to Wahweap as we were leaving the next day and had a long drive back to Tucson. We found a nice little spot up in Last Chance Canyon to spend our final night.

In conclusion, being my first trip to LP, all I can say is WOW! I can't wait to get back there!

Cheers, Desert Dory
RBJ

City/Region: Green Bay
State or Province: WI
Vessel Name: C Scamp
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Desert Dory - Lake Powell 16-21 May 2020 Reply with quote

Desert Dory wrote:
Well, my very first LP trip is done and all I can say is WOW!! What a place!

Me and a buddy of mine had been planning to go to Powell for a few months and, after a couple week delay for the CV19 closure, we were off and running the morning of Saturday, May 16th.

After the 7 hour drive from my house in Tucson we launched at Wahweap at 3pm that afternoon. Up the lake we went, ending up just past Dangling Rope before finding a little cut to spend the night. Just enough beach and out away from the main lake and wind.

After a great night on the boat we woke the next morning, had our coffee and breakfast, and set course for Halls Crossing. After stopping there for some gas my buddy wanted to keep going uplake. Not what I had in mind (can't see it all in one trip), so I reined him in and told him "No! We're going back downriver to Escalante!" We poked around Annie's and a couple other places and ended up in Iceberg Canyon where we spent the second night.

Day three we headed into the Escalante arm and poked around there for a bit until we got to the end of Willow Creek Canyon. Spectacular! It was a bit early but, we called it a day, raised the engine, pulled the boat up as far as we could go and spent the night up there at the end of the canyon.

A bit later that evening a guy in a rental houseboat tried to get up to a beach across from us and totally grounded the boat on a sandbar. They were safe, undamaged, and in a really nice spot so I told them to hang there, enjoy the spot, and we'll get word to the marina ASAP.

VHF and cell phones were useless so I ended up sending a message with the Garmin inReach to my wife asking her to call Bullfrog marina the following morning to see if they would send someone out to assist. Bullfrog said they would try to get someone out Tuesday afternoon but they were concerned with the wind forecast (gusts 40+ on the main lake body).

Long story short, the rental guy said they Bullfrog never came out so they ended up spending about 6 hours Wednesday morning digging the boat out. They did finally get it off the bar and spent the last couple days of their trip at another location. Once it was over they said it was quite the adventure.

After leaving Willow Creek we poked around the rest of the arms in Escalante and made the mistake of heading down lake Tuesday afternoon during the 40+ mph wind event. It was "Sporty" to say the least and, although the boat handled it fine, we made it a short distance and decided to duck into the cut where the sunken boat is. Spent night four there at the sunken boat.

The next day we hit Reflection, Rainbow Bridge, and a couple other places before stopping at Dangling Rope for gas and ice.

Pulling in to Rainbow Bridge we had the place to ourselves, at least until right before we left. Pretty sweet.

After leaving Dangling Rope we headed down river for night five. We wanted to be fairly close to Wahweap as we were leaving the next day and had a long drive back to Tucson. We found a nice little spot up in Last Chance Canyon to spend our final night.

In conclusion, being my first trip to LP, all I can say is WOW! I can't wait to get back there!

Cheers, Desert Dory
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desert Dory,

Thank you for sharing your adventure and photos. Looks like you had a great time and the scenery is spectacular. We hoped to do the west coast of Vancouver Island this year but Covid-19 put a stay on that. We hope to try again next May but if we cannot, I think LP would be a great alternative. I wonder what interest there would be for C-Brats to share time together on the water at LP in May of 2021? Anyone interested?

thataway

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In May the high air temperature is in the 80* range--cooler than mid summer, but the water temperature is only in the mid 60's too cold for us to swim. We prefer the fall, where the water temperature is still up in the 80's and air temp has come down from summer highs.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Dr. Bob. We have never been down to LP. Warmer water temperature would be a positive. Thanks. Is the lake water level better in the fall?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: