thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a West Marine near Ortega River--marina in Jacksonville. Might be worth a call: · (904) 388-7510

We stayed at the municipal marina--lots of current--and nothing around it.. really nice docks. A ferry to "down town", which was really a disappointment... We were warned not to go to the grocery store at night....

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Storm Dog

City/Region: Biloxi
State or Province: MS
Vessel Name: Mae-C
Photos: Mae-C
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn,
we have an unused WM pump that should work if you can stay at JAX NAS marina, which is very nice. And take you to the commissary and BX .
About a 7 hour one way drive

John, I wouldn't ask or expect anyone to greet me with a 14 hour round-trip. But thanks!

Glenn
Storm Dog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchored at Pine Island, just north of St Augustine. Had some rain, but a very good cruise. Smooth, deep water most of the way. I was raised in Florida, so I identified with and explored a lot of the state. Camping, diving, canoeing (before kayaks were invented). I left here in '79 to serve my country and only returned for visits to family. I'm pleased to be living in Colorado now, although far from cruising grounds. Something about the low humidity and being able to open the windows at night for good sleeping in the 60's.

Glenn
Pura Vida

City/Region: St. Augustine
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: pump Reply with quote

You have been making really good progress! I missed the last couple days and see you are already near St. Augustine. We live on the ICW South of town just South of Moultrie Creek. I would be glad to pick up the pump you are looking for and bring to you. Could meet you here or farther South like Ft. Matanzas or Marineland(now called Georgia Aquarium)
I worked a murder case as a young deputy sheriff about 30 years ago at Pine island, when a man killed another on a Sailboat and tied a big toolbox around his waist and threw him over. The weight wasn't enough to keep him from surfacing though and several days later his bloated body partially surfaced.
Call or text me if I can help. Bo Strange 904-315-7027
Storm Dog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier. I'm in Daytona Beach anchored out now just off the ICW. I just finished disassembling cleaning and greasing the Lewmar windless. I certainly didn't see any evidence of crimes at pine island. Only a couple dolphins eating, spoonbills and ibises eating and later groups of baitfish swarming, making the water look like it's boiling, and jumping out of the water.

Thanks for your generous offer, I should be in Cocoa tomorrow and my daughter can take me to the Merrit Island store to pick one up.

Glenn
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one can argue that Glenn is not making 'really good progress.' Quite remarkable!

Of the 31 flavors of cruising, some Loopers could claim that he should have spent at least 3 days in Beaufort, SC to take the tours, sample all the best restaurants and ice cream parlors and fudge shops, and spent at least a full day at the only remaining Kazoo factory in the US. They help you make your own plastic Kazoo!

Full disclosure, we did not Kazoo because A.Kazoo factory was was closed and B someone else had reserved the courtesy car.

The ice cream and fudge parlors were good, we were told, but we did not buy.

We prepare all meals on the boat and drink box wine in their plastic bladders in an RTIC cooler slush bath. Works for us, and saves a lot of money when cruising.

YOU should do whatever works best for you and your crew.

Get on the boat! We plan on doing the rest of the Tenn river from Ditto Landing to Knoxville starting July 1, then drag the rig up to finish the western Erie Canal where locks are open!

Cheers!
John

Cheers!
John

Storm Dog

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered a leak from a small seam or crack under the step in the cabin. I talked to Bob at length about this and he mentioned water from under a tab from under the gas tank under the raised floor. In around 8 hours I soaked up about 1/2 gallon with sponges. For the rest of the trip, the floor carpet will be stowed. Too much of a leak. The hole size seems to be 1/8 to 1/4". Are there any emergency materials such as WaterWeld epoxy by JB weld that could temporarily plug this leak? The leak tasted vaguely salty, maybe brackish from the Indian River sound/lagoon?

I have to keep the fantastic fan on the floor to help keep it dried out. It seems the low spot on the boat sole is between the refrigerator and the forward dinette seat cabinet. The puddle was there when I woke up. Will post a pic of the leak.

I'm at Cocoa Village Marina in Cocoa, Fl. Nice enough, with a discount, but unable to use the nice, large, common room in the office area to escape the torrid heat. (due to covid)
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storm Dog wrote:
I discovered a leak from a small seam or crack under the step in the cabin. seems to be 1/8 to 1/4". Are there any emergency materials such as WaterWeld epoxy by JB weld that could temporarily plug this leak? id)

I've had good results with this stuff and it's available at Home Depot and Lowes etc. https://www.flexsealproducts.com/

"...we're all in the same boat..."
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want an "under Water epoxy" "Splash Zone Compound" by Petit. I used it under water in a salt water environment, and it worked extremely well. But...in the case where I used it, it was pushed into the hull from outside where it was applied. (by diving).

Without knowing exactly where the water is coming from , it may be hard to stop it. I also have had some very good luck with a couple of the Flex shield: for example my metal mailbox is encased in bricks and masonry, which were leaking and causing the box to get wet, as well as the mail... Painting on the Flex seal has kept the mail dry for the last 3 years....I tried the Flex Seal in the tube--just like any other silicone--not impressed. The spray on material seems good.

But exactly where are you going to seal??? If it coming out from the screws--then it may work. If from tabbing of the aft cabin bulkhead--either separated or missing tabbing, you will have to Identify where it is coming in from.

Bob
Storm Dog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Am on the Okeechobee waterway, by Ortona lock/ La Belle. Good trip on the waterway, gators my constant companion, with the occasional Bald Eagle. Very uncrowded. Nice temps in the lower 70's at night, great with a fan, I had to turn it off it was a little chilly! Spent a couple days with family in Stuart, we took the boat to free docks to eat at Mulligan's. Good food, moderately priced. Recommended. The leak under the step has almost stopped, no more puddles on the cabin floor. Strange. We also had fun cruising the Canaveral canal and ate at Gator's Dockside at port Canaveral. It was really nice to be able to see family again and take them for rides on the boat!

Glenn
Storm Dog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention, I met a fellow brat/looper at Cocoa. The Flying Scotsman. He had air conditioning! He' a gold looper and is on his second trip.
Outdoorsygal

City/Region: Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: BLT (Boatless Teresa)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow . . Am just breathless reading of your adventure. Sending you waves of good luck and safety mojo.
Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Theresa....

I see you hail from Michigan. I just visited Mae-C yesterday and noticed his registration numbers start with MI. I asked Glenn about that since I thought he registered his boat in Mississippi, which I assumed would be MS. He actually pulled out his registration and sure enough it's MI. I remain confused about that.

When you do get a C-Dory your life will never be the same again Smile

James

Outdoorsygal

City/Region: Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: BLT (Boatless Teresa)
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there Molly Brown,

Michigan registration begins with MC. Crazy right? Apparently boat registration system predates the USPS two-letter state designation system. As I understand it, Massachusetts had already taken MS, so Mississippi stole MI out from under us. Laughing
Storm Dog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Spent a rockin' night in a basin by St. Beach. Thought I was gonna get whiplash, from the back & forth roll. Anyway, no mosquitoes here with a lack of covering vegetation. Unlike the night before, I stayed near Captiva Island near Punta Gorda. For a couple hours I squashed with a microfiber cloth or whipped them with a leather glove. 2-3 dozen. I was a wild area to anchor, with low wooded islands all around. You get more airflow through the boat if you open windows without the screens, like you'd want if roasting all day and the breeze quickly cools off the interior of the boat. But you have to remember to get those screens in place as it gets toward dusk, or face the consequences.

James from Molly Brown contacted me a few days before getting to his area and asked if I wanted to meet up and get supplies. Of course I said yes. It's great to meet new folks, especially C brats on a cruise, or at any time!

It was nice relaxing in the water on a hot day, with good company including manatees, a small hammerhead that swam nearby, and a couple from Poland? on a catamaran enjoying the idyllic spot.

Later James helped me change the oil on Mae-C using my new oil extractor. He topped that with offering of beer, sandwiches, and groceries I requested for my trip.

Joining the C Brats was one of my best decisions!

More photos posted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: