thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glen was going to stop at Spring Cove Marina ,Solomon MD. For the night. We figure he is almost half way down the Chesapeake. Good smooth running today, but most of the morning under radar.

It looks like good weather tomorrow also and he should be in the Norfolk area before the weather deteriorates toward the end of the week.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
I don't know how many times I've gotten a bit nervous about other boats crowding my anchor.

Colby, I often see boats anchored with a float attached several feet in front of their boat. This hopefully clues approaching boats in that they have an anchor out in that direction.

Because of health issues I have started to anchor from the cockpit. I use a 10' piece of half inch line with a plastic anchor thimble spliced into each end. Pre rigged to the bow eye and mid cleat with ss shackles. To deploy I attach bitter end to shackle from mid cleat along with a 30' line secured in cockpit(for retrieval) and also a small float on a short line. I figured because I am using the bow eye instead of the forward cleat it makes it harder for approaching boaters to see your rode out. The lower point of demarcation does increase your scope though. I suppose if the float is holding the first X#of feet of rode up in the water it would also let you know when it disappears below that your rode is approaching bar taught.

thataway

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is where 5 blasts on a 130 dB air horn is a great aid...

If I think someone is too close, I will go on the bow, and with my Arm and hand indicate where my anchor is--and if they are going to be too close I let them know.

I used to also carry a complete extra set of ground tackle to loan out to boats which drug into me in the middle of the night!
Storm Dog

City/Region: Biloxi
State or Province: MS
Vessel Name: Mae-C
Photos: Mae-C
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made it to Captain Steve's dock in Portsmouth Va. Did 130 miles today. Now I can begin the ICW in ernest. Yesterday I stayed at the Spring Cove Marina in Solomon's Md. Very nice place. I was able to walk to a West Marine and bought a few things. My anchor light has seen better days and went look for a led bulb. They didn't have a bulb at all for my model. I got the $44 WM brand and cound it didn't fit my socket. I'm transporting it around the country till I can return it. By the way, I do have a spare anchor but no spare rode.

Glenn
Storm Dog

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through Dismal Swamp route yesterday. Very scenic. Made it to Elizabeth City and stayed at the free dock, at Atlantic Christian Universary. Prior to that I fueled up at Lamb’s marina and ate chicken enchiladas at El Puerto restaurant. Food was good and inexpensive. Today I boated 111 miles and arrived at R.E. Mayo docks, $10 to stay overnight with free elect. And Wi Fi. Very rustic but good enough when you’re tired. Great prices on seafood, ie wholesale.
Storm Dog

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but once again I tried to upload pics and delete others but no go. Maybe it’s my I pad...
thataway

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glen is taking a day off--small craft warnings and winds with gusts to 27 knots on the Neuse River. He asked me to post his photos:

The Skyline of New York from near the Statue of Liberty:

The sunken sailboat near anchorage:

Boat US with Diver clearing the too close sailboat who fouled Glen's anchor rode!

Whale tail!

Tree across wateway:

Mayo Landing NC, where Glen is taking the day "Off".

Storm Dog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made it to Sloop Point last night, near Surf City, NC. using Skipper Bob guide to anchorages on the ICW. Really have to keep an eye out for spots if you want to anchor out mostly. I found the mileage markers in the guide useless. I have to find a place based on a name of area, community, or geographic feature. I had to wait around 3 hrs as Camp Lejuene closed the waterway due to live fire exercises. Amazing to look at all the destroyed armored personnel carriers on the banks and in the water, they were like swiss cheese for all the rounds they took. I'll head towards Cape Fear today, if I make it that far. I might be coming up this week for my motor's 100 hour service. What to do? what do folks do when traveling and that type of service is required? Any estimates on what it wil cost? I would do it myself, but with limited tools and being on the water. Any suggestions?

Glenn
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion is to have ti pumped out in the water. West Marine, and internet have vacuum extractors which allow you to put a tube down into the oil sump. I used one of those on my last oil change on the 150, and less than a couple of oz was left, when I opened the drain plug. You can change oil filter every 200 hrs--same with the lower unit.

If you have to haul the boat on a travel lift, block it etc that is going to be pricey.

If there is a C Brat in the area with a 25' trailer who would volunteer to let you use it for a couple of hours, you could do a change in the parking lot--(and that would include a lower unit (but should have new o rings).

Typical is about $200 or a bit more. for a shop. If you have to use a lift, it may be closer to $500. There is a looper who I told could use my boat lift and we would do the oil change at my house, including the lower unit.

If you were running all at displacement mode, I would say skip the 100 hr, and go to 200 hrs. But you have been making tracks.

Quick internet search shows Carolina Beach Boat Yard & Marina. They have a travel lift and advertise outboard service: ( N34 2.533 W077 53.531) 910-707-1007.

BellHart Marine has a Cape Fear yard, and do Yamana and Mercury outboards. 910.452.7878

Give them of them a call.
Storm Dog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 Jun 20, Still at Carolina Beach NC. Waiting for the winds to die down or change direction. I'm unable to get out of the final 11 - 12 miles stretch of the Cape Fear river. Windblown waves and current too gnarly. I anchored near the beach yesterday, along with a few sailboats, the boat swinging 120 degrees for 24 hrs became too much. Left and went to Carolina beach state park. Felt like a pinball for a while coming into the marina with all the wind, but $34 for a slip and water, 30 amp. Hiked along Snow's Cut to the grocery store through a forest. Nice walk. I'll see if the weather gives me a green light tomorrow.

Glenn
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Just saw this thread now. What an adventure. Nice job Captain.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He got past Cape Fear River entrance today.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me think of one of the most "fear" laden movies ever...."Cape Fear" from 1991 directed by Martin Scorsese and starring Robert De Niro. De Niro is chilling! The movie is unbelievably scary....without being overly overt about it. (The original was in 1962 with Robert Mitchum....I've seen both, but Scorsese's is a major cut above).

It you haven't seen it, you should Wink. Kind of Scorsese meets Hitchcock.

Storm Dog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made it to wacca watchee marina a couple hours ago. flew through most of Cape fear river, the last couple miles kicking up its heals, but made it with reduced speed. Stopped at Barefoot Landing for lunch and a walk about, decent tacos and walked some of their extensive little shop area. Impressive. Only servers and store employees wearing masks. Separation is practiced.

Going through Myrtle Beach area, discovered miles of ICW homes flooded by the river. Stopped by the sheriff's boat they told me to go slower, I was doing 5. I tried going 2 1/2 but current and breeze stalled my headway. So I compromised with 3 1/2. At least I didn't catch up with the stealth pace jonboat that ws 2-3 hundred yards in front of me. When I was well passed all the houses, the jonboat ducked into the trees to await another boat.

I was told N. Carolina opened the dam. Even the marina had 2-3 ft water in their parking lot. I had to pass on a couple anchorages as I didn't trust my 105' rode with 15" chain. 20' water was now 32', with a river current. Ill be uploading pics to my album eventually. My sister in Florida sternly warned me about the tropical depression in the gulf and insisted i make plans to store the boat and get a motel.
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, the tropical depression does not seem to be a threat to you. The storm is still over the land in Mexico. Land fall is predicted Sunday late evening or early morning Monday near Morgan City/ Lafayette LA. The storm is projected to go up the Mississippi Valley, and not cross toward the East Coast.

At this point we are prepared for some more rain in Pensacola, but wind should be well below tropical storm force in our area. Never trust a hurricane however!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: