View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teufelshunde

City/Region: Sebastopol
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Fish Wisher
Photos: Fishwisher
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: What was original ?? Reply with quote

I have been working on re-doing the cabin area and came across something that does not look factory. I’m wondering if the previous owner cut the door shorter and put a plate in for some reason or??. What is original for my 87 Angler?
I posted pics in my album today so hopefully someone can send me a photo or know what’s correct.
Thanks in advance
Fish on!

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the picture of the plate in place:

and this one with the plate removed:
(cannot seem to get the other photo to come over.)

Not sure I can help, as my boat is newer. There is a box built under the door, and a bilge pump there. Makes a bit of a step below the door....

Good luck,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second photo appears to be what it would have been originally. (judging by the rounded corners in the molding/cutout). The door does appear to have been cut off at the bottom. Perhaps there was some rot in the original area? Wanted a higher sill?

With your restoration, you probably would want to go back to the higher sill.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Teufelshunde

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
The second photo appears to be what it would have been originally. (judging by the rounded corners in the molding/cutout). The door does appear to have been cut off at the bottom. Perhaps there was some rot in the original area? Wanted a higher sill?

With your restoration, you probably would want to go back to the higher sill.

Thanks Harvey for posting the picture.
Bob,
I’m not sure if there was rot on the door or not but it sure seems shorter now that I have seen a picture of an original.
What would be the benefit of a higher sill? I thought of making a new door unless I’m missing something here.
thataway

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What would be the benefit of a higher sill? I thought of making a new door unless I’m missing something here.

The newer boats have a higher sill--it would be more likely to keep water out of the cabin from the cockpit.

As Harvey mentioned many have a sump bilge pump under a step which is inside of the door on newer boats. When water accumulates in the cockpit with the boat in the water, it will run forward toward the door.
Teufelshunde

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m confused as to why they would design a cockpit floor that makes it easy for water to run forward to the cabin? Would It be ok to fiberglass the hole in the sill plate to avoid any water intrusion from the cockpit?
I also have a hole on the floor entrance to the v-birth that needs a plug- I think 1/2 inch brass. I’m assuming the original idea is that if water enters the v-birth somehow from underneath (rode locker) or ?? it had a path to the rear by removing the plugs? My cabin has never taken on water so I would think I’m ok to seal up the hole by the door. Thoughts?
Thanks
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Quote:

The newer boats have a higher sill--it would be more likely to keep water out of the cabin from the cockpit.

As Harvey mentioned many have a sump bilge pump under a step which is inside of the door on newer boats. When water accumulates in the cockpit with the boat in the water, it will run forward toward the door.

Quote:
"I’m confused as to why they would design a cockpit floor that makes it easy for water to run forward to the cabin?"

The floor of the cockpit, is also the top of the hull, and it tilts as the boat does, it is not an artificially elevated platform.

There are two "low points" in the boat. When running, at any speed above hull speed, the lowest spot inside will be the aft at the transom, due to the hull angle of the bow either up on plane or climbing to get up on and over the bow wave. When at rest in the water the stern of the cockpit will be higher than the forward edge of the cockpit, so water will run forward. That is when the forward bilge pump comes into play.

Sorry, I can't help with the "hole on the floor entrance to the v-birth that needs a plug" issue.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At some point around in the early to mid 2000 era C Dory began to make a removable raised floor (the inner hull as bottom of bilge remains the same). Then about 2006-2007 there came a permeant raised floor, but occasionally water would get under this, so the problem could still remain.

In my 22's I had two bilge pumps. One aft in a sump between the tanks, to take care of water when the boat was in a bow up attitude (running over 5 knots approx) and one for lower speeds at the forward end of the cockpit or just inside of the cabin.

Most put some grid on the cockpit floor (inner hull) such as "dry deck"--we used that with heavy duty industrial foam pads on top.

Keep the cockpit covered when the boat is not in use. Use a full cover or cockpit slant back.

I would recommend that you do the same. I would raise the threshold, make a step or box, for a pump intake which would suck any water out of the forward part of the cockpit floor/cabin.

The plug under the platform probably was placed there either from water from the anchor locker (often improperly sealed, too high a drain hole), or from a loose screw and penetration from attachment for the brass strip which helps to protect the stem of the boat.

You will determine if any of these have to be addressed in the future.
Teufelshunde

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
At some point around in the early to mid 2000 era C Dory began to make a removable raised floor (the inner hull as bottom of bilge remains the same). Then about 2006-2007 there came a permeant raised floor, but occasionally water would get under this, so the problem could still remain.

In my 22's I had two bilge pumps. One aft in a sump between the tanks, to take care of water when the boat was in a bow up attitude (running over 5 knots approx) and one for lower speeds at the forward end of the cockpit or just inside of the cabin.

Most put some grid on the cockpit floor (inner hull) such as "dry deck"--we used that with heavy duty industrial foam pads on top.

Keep the cockpit covered when the boat is not in use. Use a full cover or cockpit slant back.

I would recommend that you do the same. I would raise the threshold, make a step or box, for a pump intake which would suck any water out of the forward part of the cockpit floor/cabin.

The plug under the platform probably was placed there either from water from the anchor locker (often improperly sealed, too high a drain hole), or from a loose screw and penetration from attachment for the brass strip which helps to protect the stem of the boat.

You will determine if any of these have to be addressed in the future.

Harvey and Bob thank you for your input - I understand now.
I keep my boat under a fully Enclosed canopy when not in use and keep the trailer as high as it goes in the front just in case water does get in the cockpit somehow so it drains out the back.
Bob - if I do put a box in for a bilge at the cabin hatch where would I run the hose to pump out?
Or would it pump out to the cockpit deck via the hole below the door with some kind of one way check valve or flap so water does not enter from the cockpit to the cabin?
thataway

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
- if I do put a box in for a bilge at the cabin hatch where would I run the hose to pump out?
Or would it pump out to the cockpit deck via the hole below the door with some kind of one way check valve or flap so water does not enter from the cockpit to the cabin?

There are 3 ways I have seen this handled (there may be others)

1.) a box with a bilge pump in the box, and tubing going out the side of the hull under the galley. There at times is a one way valve in the discharge tubing--these keep water from flowing back into the box...but at times fail.

2). A suction pump under the galley with a "foot" in a small box just inside of the door. Both of these have the hole from the cockpit

3.) a suction pump on the side of the cockpit, with discharge slightly above it--and a hose and foot down in front of the door (with a small sump, and the hole between the cabin and cockpit sealed or with a removable plug.

The most common bilge pump is a plastic vane centrifugal pump--which is not self priming--and the vanes need to be in the water: Rule pumps are mostly of this type.

Second type is the diaphragm type: Jabsco (PAR) makes some of these. I used to have nothing but these on one of my sailboat s and always kept a rebuilt pump and a rebuilt kit handy. The valves can plug up and fail. But when working they will suck the bilge dry. Whale makes some diaphragm pump also. It is usually advised to have a centrifugal pump as a backup for emergencies,

There is a 3rd type of flexible vane pump--such as Jabsco "Waterpuppy". I use one of these for de-watering also. They are self priming and with a nitrile impeller be able to handle oils and fuel. These are self priming, but more expensive--and also more subject to failure. Flow rates often are lower, but they can push a higher head pressure.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devil Dog: One must realize these are old hard core boats used for crabbing, shrimping, salmon fishing, clam digging. All of these pleasurable events bring much dirt, mud and funk into the boats. A lot of the old classics I have seen had a raw saltwater washdown as to wash her down good. These boats were for wet times and use...wet inside the boat, hopefully not much wet in the cabin which was the "dry" space. Today, many are used for comfortable dry cruising and our old Classic hulls were designed to use it hard, get er dirty, wash her down, and on good times, repeat that the next day too!!
It did not matter if we had an inch of two of water underfoot. and you cant come in from the cockpit into the helm area during these awesome times without taking the fun/water/funk into the house. Am I the only one hearing my Mom chew my ass....Stop tracking all that mud and "stuff" into the house boy. Giggle. Well, these boats provided a place we can track all the funk in while loving the waters bounty. Then flush er out.
Just a stray thought worth pondering here. Get er wet! Hope to cruise some CA waters if not this summer but next.

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Teufelshunde

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob for the information I have a direction now Thumbs Up
Byrdman,
I definitely use the boat for fishing and get er dirty but I do like to have a clean useable machine - kind of like when I had my service rifle (M16A2) and a few others, if you keep them clean and operating smoothly they will be there when you need em!(hopefully) and it’s easier to see if a problem might be around the corner.
I’m not afraid of getting water in the cockpit and do have a saltwater wash down but when it starts getting in the cabin I have an issue with that! I don’t mind it getting in the cabin from my boots but I don’t want an inch of water sloshing around if you know what I mean.(which I haven’t had thank goodness)
BTW- Congratulations on the sale of your 18 it sure is a nice looking boat!
If you make your way to the California Bay Area, let me know and we could go fishing.
Cheers
Byrdman

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right On! I may head down CA way prior to the potato harvest in Skagit Valley. I like keeping my boat clean too...and was even thinking about some of the newer vinyl in time on my new to me 22 Angler. Easy cleaning is very large! I want to use my boat a bit and allow it to talk to me and her see how, what and why she naturally wants to do things as I use her. Ive seen some used on commercial applications and it seems to hold up and clean well. And it looks a bit spiffy for a nice peaceful sunset cruises with cheese n crackers....and a beverage. Im just now getting back on the C-Brats and Im betting with a bit of poking around there is a C-Dory or two already rigged out. I would like to absorb any lessons learned from application, use, and ok if I started over what would I do dirrently.
So with that in mind, put your boat in the water with a few 5 gallon buckets of fresh non salt water and see what the water wants to do.. The water feels kinda cool between your toes and for sure gives you a whats going to happen in the water rather than on the trailer. Its amazing what 5-15 gallons of water can teach us. add about an ounce of Clorox to each bucket for brighter cleaner floors. Good luck on your repairs. It will feel great once completed!
Thumbs Up CoolSmile
Byrdman

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right On! I may head down CA way prior to the potato harvest in Skagit Valley. I like keeping my boat clean too...and was even thinking about some of the newer teak vinyl in time on my new to me 22 Angler. Easy cleaning is very large! I want to use my boat a bit and allow it to talk to me and her see how, what and why she naturally wants to do things as I use her. Ive seen some used on commercial applications and it seems to hold up and clean well. And it looks a bit spiffy for a nice peaceful sunset cruises with cheese n crackers....and a beverage. Im just now getting back on the C-Brats and Im betting with a bit of poking around there is a C-Dory or two already rigged out. I would like to absorb any lessons learned from application, use, and ok if I started over what would I do dirrently.
So with that in mind, put your boat in the water with a few 5 gallon buckets of fresh non salt water and see what the water wants to do.. The water feels kinda cool between your toes and for sure gives you a whats going to happen in the water rather than on the trailer. Its amazing what 5-15 gallons of water can teach us. add about an ounce of Clorox to each bucket for brighter cleaner floors. Good luck on your repairs. It will feel great once completed!
Thumbs Up CoolSmile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: