Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fontanacdory

City/Region: Bryson City
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ms Jill
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Michigan cruising Reply with quote

This mike on the ms Jill would like some ideas on cruising upper Michigan, going a little nuts at home . Was thinking maybe chaboygan as a starting point. Thanks everyone stay safe.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Apostle Islands on Lake Superior are nice. So is Isle Royale. Door County farther south between the water of Green Bay and Lake Michigan also offers some great boating. A trip to the Door isn't complete without visiting Washington Island. Rock Island as well, but it is closed right now due to Covid-19 and exceptionally high water levels. Between Lake's Michigan and Huron you have Mackinaw City and Mackinaw Island which offers some great boating and cities, however not much in the way of anchorage. I hear Chaboygan is nice also. In fact we are looking at two weeks of boating here this coming week. Originally I wanted to go down to Lake Kentucky to check out a possible location to bring back Meet in the Middle next year. However, with hotter temps, we may head north to the Apostles ourselves (or possibly Cheboygan to check it out), and find time in October to check out some possibly gathering spots on Lake Kentucky. (Might be worth while setting aside next year, the first weekend after Labor Day, 2021, if all goes well.) If you get as far north as Isle Royal, C-Otter is up there somewhere doing some fishing. (Very remote, with only one place on the island where you can climb a hill and maybe get some spotty cell service! Fuel in a 22 may be an issue as well. I don't know if the two places on the Island with fuel are even open.) We're heading out west to Lake Powell later in August. If you haven't been there, and have the time available, it's another place for some great boating. However, without AC, it's probably pretty hot right now. The North Channel, east of Mackinaw is pretty nice as well. However, with the Canadian border shut down, that may be a problem. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you chose to go to the Apostle Islands, I've found the little campground at Little Sand Bay works out well for parking the rig long term. https://www.townofrussell.org/little-sand-bay-recreation-area/. It's at the northern tip of the peninsula there. Several marinas available in Bayfield, the Apostle Islands marina right in town. Parking for several days at a time is hard to find, or available at a price. Otherwise, there are several marinas in the area where you can launch and leave your rig. I just like Little Sand Bay as it's fairly inexpensive, and so far been safe and secure. The only negative is that the little marina there is not very protected from north winds, and it can't be rough getting in and out with a northerly blow. Black flies in the area can be bad at times, but that's pretty much true anywhere. For Isle Royal, we've used the marina at Grand Portage. It's then 25-30 miles across to Isle Royal. Be aware a few miles coming up from the south before you get to Grand Portage, you'll lose cell service. So make any calls before you leave the last town to the south. Mackinaw City has a nice newer marina, I think called the Straights Marina. However Michigan likes to charge out of staters a prime additional fee for using their parks. Door County, I've started using the ramps at Fish Creek more, as I like that area, and they have a nice big municipal parking lot within a short mile walking distance where you can leave your rig over time. Sister Bay has a nice marina, but their long term parking is a little farther away. Sturgeon Bay has a nice launch and parking area, but you are farther south on the peninsula. Also, if you are parking long term, you want to let the city know. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked on the Apostle Island Covid related stuff now for myself. The various island parks are closed from 7p-7a, however self contained boats can still use the docks. (They just don't want you on the grounds during the night.) Most facilities are closed internally. Ie, some nice lighthouses and historic buildings are viewable from outside, but you can not enter them for now. The launch and parking is available at the Little Sand Bay area I mentioned earlier. Again, the water level in the Great Lakes is quite high (record elevations), so some lower docks may be flooded. When we were at Fish Creek in Door County last week, the launch ramps were still flooded. It was possible to launch, but we had to back into the water quite a ways. Up to a foot deep before we hit the actual ramp. Still many nice places to anchor however. And of course, most places require or request a mask and social distancing. Isle Royal was closed earlier, but before leaving, Tom on C-Otter had posted that they were allowing boats to anchor. I don't remember if the various docks opened up, or if the two main harbors for fuel and limited services were going to open. Can't tell you anything about Cheboygan, as I've not been there myself. I think most marinas are open now. Although I found around Door County some were not offering full service, or were not open to transients. Finding fuel in and around cities not a problem.
little wing

City/Region: Oakland
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Toots
Photos: Toots
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Michigan Inland Waterway Reply with quote

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=14210&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the most clear clean water, stay out of Green Bay*.

The east coast of Lake Michigan, north of Point Betsie, and north Lake Huron have
the best cruising grounds: majestic sand dunes, beaches, islands, coves, shoreline
facilities and navigable adjacent protected inland lakes. Oh, we have big rocks too.

It may be worth a stop in WI, in Door County (aka the Cape Cod of the midwest) if
you've never had a "fish boil" including boiled potatoes, onions, whitefish followed
by coffee and cherry pie.

Always check, and double check weather before and while on the Great Lakes.

If you do get to northern MI, as a guest, bring and wear your mask, observe
physical distancing, wash hands frequently, stay outside AMAP and, please,
don't cough or sneeze near anyone. I'd do the same if in your area.

Aye.

*It's called Green Bay for a reason.

colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike,
We may be heading to the Michigan Inside Waterway ourselves. Kentucky is going to be too damn hot next week! I checked with the Cheboygan County Marina, which is right at the Lake Huron end of the river there. The launch fee is $5, and then parking $5 day. Harbor master says it's a great trip and plenty of room. I've never been past Cheboygan, coming off of the big lake, so all new scenery to me. Not far from Mackinaw at that point either, so worth a side trip to the island and the city. Foggy is right about clear water. But lots to do in Door County, particularly on the Bay side. The lake side is a little quieter. The bay side is more commercialized, many good restaurants and shops. But the pandemic has closed a few places down. However, it is still quite busy on land. And some places on the water as well. Chambers Island, which is in the middle of Green Bay has some nice beach area, and a lighthouse that is still open some days. I forgot to mention, if you do visit Door County by boat, it's worth a trip over to Menominee to stay at least one night in their marina. They have a beautiful boater's lounge with individual bathrooms/showers, just like your home would have, and a great sitting area with access to a computer and internet. It's in an old remodeled water works building. They have Boat US Discounts, and relatively inexpensive. Colby
Foggy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, I grew up, summers, on Michigan's Inland Waterway, specifically Indian
River area/Burt Lake. If you put in in Cheboygan, you'll need to clear the lock
a few miles up river. Going to Mullet Lake, just before is a must stop: Hamatak
Inn, great meals and watering hole.

From Cheboygan to Mullet, then Burt, then Cooked Lakes is all Federal waterway.
When I was a kid, a neighbor had a 50+' powerboat he'd pack and take us to
Mackinac Island. Later I did it w/buddies in my dad's 18' Lyman, then 24' Sea Ray.
Also, I think in August was the famous "Top-O-Michigan Marathon": about 4 size
classes of OB powered speedsters going from Topinabee, Mullet Lake, to Crooked
Lake and back - some 80+ miles - a blast to watch riverside. It was second only
to sailing my Hobie 16 to the north arm of Burt hoping to catch a glimpse of a
well known sun worshiper au naturale.

Few hazards: A few shoal spots in the well marked rivers but in your boat it should
be a cake walk. You will get nailed if caught speeding or excess wake in the rivers.

I'd be interested in your comments if you do the trip. Enjoy.

Aye.
Foggy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woops. Make the above reference Hack-Ma-Tack Inn & Restaurant*, Cheboygan
River, open 6 days a week, 5 PM, closed Monday. 231-625-2919

Aye.

*Voted most iconic restaurant in Michigan by mlive.com
little wing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy; you haven't told them about your home waters. Grand Traverse Bay. Great cruising area with nice marinas and towns and sheltered anchorages. Another favorite.
Fontanacdory

City/Region: Bryson City
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Ms Jill
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Great input Reply with quote

Looks like l will be in chaboygan this Wednesday and will go from there. Thanks everyone.
Foggy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

little wing wrote:
Foggy; you haven't told them about your home waters. Grand Traverse Bay. Great cruising area with nice marinas and towns and sheltered anchorages. Another favorite.

Egad, ahh, well, we're not looking for, um, I guess, more density around here right now...

Aye.
Blame Grandpa. His favorite bumper sticker: "Now I live here, stop development."
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Foggy. Wife and I plan on being in Cheboygan Wednesday as well. See you there Mike. Looking forward to seeing some new scenery. And maybe some old as I hope to take a few days over to Mackinaw Island as well. Colby
little wing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go up to the straits, you might consider the Les Cheneaux Islands, northeast of the bridge. Quite nice. Also, the two marinas in Mackinaw City. They were almost empty when we were there, which is common we were told.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Little Wing. The newer Straits Marina is very nice, and the last couple of times we were there (a few years ago) it was pretty quiet. Mackinaw Island marina on the other hand....always busy. Especially when the sailboats are in from the annual race. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: