View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpage3

City/Region: Pendleton SC
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Eressëa
Photos: Eressëa
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: 1st motor service... Reply with quote

I own a fairly new C-Dory Venture 23 with the Honda 150. I am going to schedule the 20 hour motor service ( I let it get to 40 hours).
The charges I am quoted are @ $280.00. I will be leaving the boat off at a dealer on the trailer.
Does this sound reasonable? Just a oil and gear case change, and general check up on a new motor!

In younger days I saved $ by doing my own car oil changes, but now am wiling to pay $50.00. But getting close to $300.00 seems excessive. Any thoughts?

[/img]

Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than changing the engine and gear case oil, and oil filter (which are easy to do) and a cursory inspection, what else are they going to do? Perhaps hook it up to a computer for a diagnostic test?

Unless it is something really specialized that needs to be done, I like to do the basic maintenance stuff myself as I then know it was done, and not by a trainee/flunky who these tasks are usually assigned, that doesn't really care.
gpage3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts also.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, $280 is probably getting off cheap!
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I insist on doing my own service just to insure that I know it was done and done reasonably right. That not only includes the oil/lube changes but also lubricating the various throttle/shift joints and the anodes (exhaust included) and changing spark plugs.

If one does it , the cost is low and you tend to do it both more often and you notice the condition of everything. When the gear oil turned white, I took the engine in to a dealer to change the seals. So, you do what you feel confidant doing and take it to a GOOD repair service for the rest. And it will take time to find a good dealer; I went through several. Honda doesn't have a bunch.

BTW, I use silicone spray to lubricate the moving joints. It should penetrate. And for the oil filter, I get the one which is for the Accord car. Cheaper and equivalent at your local auto parts store.

Boris
gpage3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt bad that I let it go to 40 hours, but looking at the oil it is very clear. I don't allow my cars/truck to go long between oil changes.

I am going to give it a try, doing the change myself. I have more time than$ !

I will check out u-tube videos for examples.
And thanks for all tips.
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the official shop manual, full of great info about your motor, worth every penny especially the day you will have to start messing with your water pump impeller.
JMacLeod

City/Region: Stuart
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-Shalom
Photos: JMacLeod
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can confirm, that's a deal.

Paid more than twice that per motor for the 100 hour service on our Suzuki DF150AP's.

Decided to buy the service manual from Browns Point Marine for $100, and will do the next 100 hour myself.
The parts kit alone is about $130 per motor, then add on top of that oil/lube/grease.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always done my own services. If there is a problem with the engine down the line, you need your receipts. (Some feel that when an engine is under warrantee that they should have a "dealer" do the work.

I do use "genuine" Honda O rings and seals. I use quality filters.

Be sure and do the lower unit--also do the zerc fittings--check the entire motor over, I use "Corrosion" block spray on the outside of "bright" items under the cowl.

I just finished rebuilding the Sea Star hydraulic cylinder--Mostly installed, when the rain started this PM...Bleeding tomorrow or early next week.

You are paying "shop rates"--which can be up to $200 an hour. I think that in our area most shops are $125 an hour. Independent mechanics are "cheap" at $50 an hour...A real bargain if you get a good one!

I do have the "Honda Shop" manual for my 150, but I also have the Seloc manual, which I believe is more than adequate for the average boater, and a bit cheaper.

Clymer also makes manuals for some of the motors.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
gpage3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good information definitely has me weighing my options.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using genuine Honda parts when you replace something is a very, very good idea. Or, if you own another brand of outboard, use their genuine parts. You have a heck of an investment in that motor, at least I do, and these outboards don't need that many parts. I use Boats.net since they give some discount on parts and usually have them in stock.

Also I try to use the best service items I can find. For example: Bosch claims a 99 % filtration of particles >20 microns. That's better than Fram. So for the extra $1, I'll buy Bosch.

Other aftermarket service parts may be cheaper, but they're made cheaper. So use Honda etc. parts. They were good enough for Honda to use them to originally assemble the engine, whey not use them to keep the engine going?

Boris
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It actually really bothers me that they charge shop rates for an oil change. I understand when the work is technical, requires skill and experience, and is difficult to perform. But come on, $280 for an oil change that they will probably assign to the mechanic's helper/lube tech/boat detailer/bearing packer at 10 bucks an hour to complete is borderline criminal. It's not very hard to do yourself - probably way faster than hooking the boat up, driving to the dealer, having them do it, and then picking it up and towing it home.
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: oil change Reply with quote

TR........

Which one of our avail dealers do you use on your Honda???
I use Jack's motor repair service.

Jack

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be me as it is more work getting it into the dealer than it is just doing it myself. And, that includes just about everything. I'm guessing Jack's motor repair service is done by our very own Jack in Alaska Smile Great minds think alike!
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
Using genuine Honda parts when you replace something is a very, very good idea. Or, if you own another brand of outboard, use their genuine parts. You have a heck of an investment in that motor, at least I do, and these outboards don't need that many parts. I use Boats.net since they give some discount on parts and usually have them in stock.

Also I try to use the best service items I can find. For example: Bosch claims a 99 % filtration of particles >20 microns. That's better than Fram. So for the extra $1, I'll buy Bosch.

Other aftermarket service parts may be cheaper, but they're made cheaper. So use Honda etc. parts. They were good enough for Honda to use them to originally assemble the engine, whey not use them to keep the engine going?

Boris

But you might want to consider where you get your Honda parts from. Getting them from a marine store will cost a lot more for the same part than getting them from the local auto dealer or motor sports store. A lot of the Honda engines are derived from their car engines and can use a lot of the same parts. I used to get my Yamaha O/B parts from the local Yamaha motor sports dealer (moto-cross bikes, Atvs, etc.). Even if they don't have them in stock, they usually have access to all the manufacturer's parts whether they regularly sell that piece of equipment or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: