View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fishcatcher907

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Legacy
Photos: Legacy
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: First multi day trip of the year Reply with quote

So I took a five day trip into the Prince William Sound a week and a half ago. The wife and boy joined me for some exploring and shrimping.
We had great weather for 3 of our 5 days. The last day it got pretty snotty out there.

Day 1 rain. We launched the boat and dropped pots a few miles from the harbor. Came back got a slip for the boat and spent the night.

Day 2 of the trip we met up with some friends and rafted all 3 boats up in a bay for the weekend. I’m not sure how cold it got on the night of the second day, but when I woke up we had a skim of ice in the bay.

Day 3 lots of shrimp and a beach bbq. It was cool at night and we went ashore for a campfire. Before we loaded up in the dingy I turned on the wallas so the cabin would be toasty when we got back. My son got tired so I took them back to the boat and then I returned back to shore. About a hour and a half later I went back to the boat for the night. When I arrived my wife informed me that the wallas had quit. I tried everything in my book of tricks to no avail. Luckily for me one of the other boats had a extra buddy heater to knock off the chill.

Day 4 More and more shrimp. Unfortunately I didn’t take enough fuel to run around and halibut fish. But the shrimping was great. One of the boats headed in, they had to go back to work the following day. We all headed in together. We came back about 45 miles and and stopped in a protected cove for the night. Myself and the other boat wanted nothing to do with the boat ramp on a Sunday night. We put or pots out and rafted up in the cove. It was fairly windy and poring that night.

Day 5 we woke up to plenty of whitecaps and pouring rain. It let up a little and was forecasted to let up even more. At 9am we took off grabbed our gear and left. We only had 15 miles to get back to the harbor. It was rough, but it was a downhill run. About a mile and a half from the harbor I hit a scum line. I was on before there was anyway to avoid it. Sure enough I got some around the water intake and my buzzer went off. I ran to the back of the boat and started the 15hp and had the wife raise the 90. In that weather I wasn’t going to screw around with the big motor. I just wanted to be under power. When we go back to the dock I knocked the rest of the slime and the water pump worked fine.

All in all it was a great first multi day trip. We had our share of little problems, but you’ll have that. My primary chart plotter had some sort of a glitch in the program update. For some reason it wouldn’t show land masses in color. A quick call to garmin and I got that straightened out.
Then I called Scan Marine and I talked to a guy by the name of Bill I believe. I know folks can sometimes curse Wallas stoves, but dang scan marines customer service is amazing!!! I was just sure I’d have to ship that thing down to Washington. I called five or six times throughout the day to narrow down the problem. We finely figured out the fan for the combustion chamber was acting up. He made me a new on and I installed it last night. She’s alive!

Unfortunately while I was waiting for parts on the heater I decided to pull off my Lazaret hatch. I had suspected it was leaking a few weeks ago. Well to my fears it was! The core is rotten on the hump and halfway way down the port and starboard windows. I had posted about this a few weeks ago. I had noticed a drip on a river in the v birth.

To my amazement Sunbeam reached out to me and has offered some very valuable advice. He’s pretty much walked me through the whole process. And that folks is what makes this community GREAT!

Happy boating to you all this season. My boat should be all wrapped up in the next week.

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a great attitude . I wish I had your abilities. My only suggestion, carry a Little Buddy and a few canisters for back up. "He" will never let you down.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Fishcatcher907

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dotnmarty wrote:
You have a great attitude . I wish I had your abilities. My only suggestion, carry a Little Buddy and a few canisters for back up. "He" will never let you down.

I had one in the boat. I pulled it out because my wife was packing so much crap.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you had a great time and everything is working good now. The first check with the Wallas is to pull the fuse that is near the battery. The Wallas should be wired directly to the battery and there should be a fuse holder close. Pull that, wait a couple of minutes and put it back in and all should be good -- sometimes. That is the only thing I know about fixing a Wallas and it has work several times - for friends on their boats when I was with them. I have never had an issue with mine, but I guess there could always be a first time.

Take care and stay safe.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s always something, sounds like you’re on track to get things worked out. We spent over a decade exploring every cove, bay, bite and passage in PWS, and even managed to hit a few uncharted rocks. Seems I was always fixing, modifying, upgrading and maintaining our boats, one reason we’ve steeped back for a while. Sure miss the serenity and incredible adventures we had with the tripleJs.

Perry island was always one of our favorite destinations, smack dab in the middle of the sound. It offered great hiking and shrimping outside daycare bay. If you hike back from the head of Daycare, you’ll find a lake that seagulls bath in. It’s fun to watch them fly in from all direction, bath then roost in the nearby trees; a magical place of sorts because you never see gulls roosting in trees. No bear on Perry to worry about either. From East Twin Bay you can hike a valley up the interior, great geology all over the island. Around the corner from Daycare there is beach we call marble beach because all the stones are round like a marble.

We would often drop pots at Perry, spend the night, pick in the morning then head out to Knight or beyond to fish. When we upgraded to the 25, we would often run all the way out to seal rocks off Montague on the Hinchinbrook side. Usually spend the night return the next day to pick pots stay another night pick again and head in.

The 22 is plenty seaworthy to make the trip out to Montague just need to pack 5 or 6 jerry cans of extra gas; with cheep gas you should take advantage of it. We ripped a lot of butt lips this time of year off Montague.

Lots of cool places to discover out there, enjoy the adventure.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
Fishcatcher907

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

breausaw wrote:
It’s always something, sounds like you’re on track to get things worked out. We spent over a decade exploring every cove, bay, bite and passage in PWS, and even managed to hit a few uncharted rocks. Seems I was always fixing, modifying, upgrading and maintaining our boats, one reason we’ve steeped back for a while. Sure miss the serenity and incredible adventures we had with the tripleJs.

Perry island was always one of our favorite destinations, smack dab in the middle of the sound. It offered great hiking and shrimping outside daycare bay. If you hike back from the head of Daycare, you’ll find a lake that seagulls bath in. It’s fun to watch them fly in from all direction, bath then roost in the nearby trees; a magical place of sorts because you never see gulls roosting in trees. No bear on Perry to worry about either. From East Twin Bay you can hike a valley up the interior, great geology all over the island. Around the corner from Daycare there is beach we call marble beach because all the stones are round like a marble.

We would often drop pots at Perry, spend the night, pick in the morning then head out to Knight or beyond to fish. When we upgraded to the 25, we would often run all the way out to seal rocks off Montague on the Hinchinbrook side. Usually spend the night return the next day to pick pots stay another night pick again and head in.

The 22 is plenty seaworthy to make the trip out to Montague just need to pack 5 or 6 jerry cans of extra gas; with cheep gas you should take advantage of it. We ripped a lot of butt lips this time of year off Montague.

Lots of cool places to discover out there, enjoy the adventure.

Thanks for sharing some of your spots with me. We ran up to Wells Bay for the weekend. That was my first time there. It was nice.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to see you are out exploring & even happier for your sharing of it. Problems & the solving & learning from them is just part of the adventure & I see you well understand that. Wishing you many more adventures & hopefully sharing them with the rest of us.

Jay

ogada

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

11 jan 2020 trip to bahangarh fort
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: