The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Navajo Nation Notice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Navajo Nation Notice Reply with quote

The Navajo Nation has suffered with a high percentage of COVID-19 cases, especially in and around the Page and Four Corners region. Anyone contemplating a Lake Powell adventure should take precautions!
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most if not all of the First Nations in Canada are under severe travel restrictions. So if your plans for future travel take you near their lands on the west coast or other regions make sure that you check with the nation first. Some of the nations have become militant about keeping outsiders away. Remember they suffered from foreign viruses in their recent history that deviated their populations, so they have even more reason to keep us white folk away.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deviated == decimated (maybe a spell correction thing)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
C-Dory Year: 2007
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Makah Reservation at the westerly NW tip of Washington State is totally closed to outsiders. (there is also a northerly NW tip) They are 90 minutes by road from the nearest hospital certified to treat seriously ill persons. Thus far they have avoided the current epidemic (and oral history still is current on past centuries epidemics). It is a favorite place for us to spend a few days, we go every several years. Tourism and fishing tourism is an important part of their economy, but they are taking the hit to preserve lives.
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of the 2000 miles of shoreline at Lake Powell and maybe 200 miles of that touches the Reservation I have never seen a Navaho on the shoreline since I have been going there since the late 60's. With the exceptions of rangers. i think it would be pretty easy to distance yourself from everyone at the lake. Just need to use some common sense around the launch ramps and marinas.

NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
deviated == decimated (maybe a spell correction thing)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Or maybe devastated.

Nitpick/peeve:

Decimation's original meaning was the Roman Legion's brutal punishment of killing one of every ten soldiers. It's often misused these days to suggest devastation far exceeding ten percent - which was the case when Europeans brought diseases like smallpox to natives in the New World.

Sorry - I took four years of Latin in high school, so heard a lot about the Roman Legions.

Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, from 1991 to 1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
hardee

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard, you are right on both counts, (way more than decimated) and "maybe devastated" is more accurate too, as I'm sure they were.

I had a hard time just with English 'cause I went to school in Canada in my formative years.Laughing

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Albuquerque KOAT Chn 7 News:

https://www.koat.com/article/gallup-is-on-lockdown/32346323

The order closing Gallup (hiway travel both North/South NM-602, and East/West I-40, has been extended fro Monday to through Thursday.
Quote:
"GALLUP, N.M. —
UPDATE: On Monday the governor extended the emergency order through noon on Thursday, May 7."

"The lockdown will order all roads into Gallup be closed, businesses in the city will close from 5 p.m. to 8 a.m. each day and vehicles can have a maximum of two individuals. Residents are ordered to remain in their homes except for emergency outings for essential healthy, safety and welfare."

“The spread of this virus in McKinley County is frightful,” said Gov. Lujan Grisham, “and it shows that physical distancing has not occurred and is not occurring. The virus is running amok there. It must be stopped and stricter measures are necessary. A problem in one part of our state, with a virus this dangerous and this contagious, is a problem for our entire state. The imperative for all of us to remain home and physically distant has not changed. It is even more crucial for New Mexicans in the northwestern region. But what is happening in the northwest could happen in any part of our state. We must remain vigilant.”

As of Thursday, McKinley County had 1,027 reported cases of COVID-19. That is more than 30% of the state's total positive cases.

Travel is a sure way for the virus to spread. Seems to me like life and health need to take precedence over comfort and economy. { But that is just my personal opinion}

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Desert Dory

City/Region: Tucson
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Desert Dory
Photos: Desert Dory
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to give a pretty good perspective on why the locals have been hit so hard there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIuptGC3b8A
hardee

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . . and for an alternative view and abroader aspect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAPpQA9SCwc

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewMoon wrote:
...It's often misused these days ....

It's pretty much ALWAYS misused these days. However, language is a flexible thing and perhaps since the Romans are not around anymore, the definition has drifted.
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
NewMoon wrote:
...It's often misused these days ....

It's pretty much ALWAYS misused these days. However, language is a flexible thing and perhaps since the Romans are not around anymore, the definition has drifted.

and foundered LOL
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for my earlier typo, I did mean decimated.

I received another notice from the BC Marine Trails. The Heitsuk First nation has closed their lands for the year and ask that no one visit their lands. Heitsuk First Nation is located north of Vancouver Island in the area near Ocean Falls.

I think that if you are planning on boating on the coast this year and your voyage takes you anywhere near First Nations lands and water, I would inquire first if you are free to visit here.

https://www.bcmarinetrails.org/77-bcmtna-news/2697-heiltsuk-closure?fbclid=IwAR3Fa0TOgGOnxdlDAc-2-c_B13ZidnigQuBWzcVAhmanQgdG758-H8fCPHU
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewMoon wrote:
Decimation's original meaning was the Roman Legion's brutal punishment of killing one of every ten soldiers.

I ran into this historical fact when studying Roman history. I found it fascinating in terms of a technique to impose will on a fighting force (not that I condone it).

The Roman general's objective was not just to kill 1 in 10 for punishment, the real power came from how they did it. Soldiers in a Roman legion knew that if one of their units showed cowardice in battle, 1/10 of that unit's men, chosen by lot, would be executed. The effect of this policy was not so much punishment of the offending unit, but as a deterrent across the entire legion in future battles. Just imagine the pressure each soldier must have placed on his comrades knowing that if one of their number failed, 1 in 10, chosen in a random fashion, would later be executed without regard to who was at fault.

hardee

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
NewMoon wrote:
Decimation's original meaning was the Roman Legion's brutal punishment of killing one of every ten soldiers.

I ran into this historical fact when studying Roman history. I found it fascinating in terms of a technique to impose will on a fighting force (not that I condone it).

The Roman general's objective was not just to kill 1 in 10 for punishment, the real power came from how they did it. Soldiers in a Roman legion knew that if one of their units showed cowardice in battle, 1/10 of that unit's men, chosen by lot, would be executed. The effect of this policy was not so much punishment of the offending unit, but as a deterrent across the entire legion in future battles. Just imagine the pressure each soldier must have placed on his comrades knowing that if one of their number failed, 1 in 10, chosen in a random fashion, would later be executed without regard to who was at fault.

So now, would we like to look at "peer pressure". Decimation a real definition for that term.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: