View previous topic :: View next topic  
Storm Dog

City/Region: Biloxi
State or Province: MS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mae-C
Photos: Mae-C
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Wanting more anchor Reply with quote

I'm considering more anchor for the boat. Can i mount a 20# Vulcan or even a larger danforth type anchor without modifying the roller on our 25? It currently has a 13# on it. The purchase survey estimated 20' 1/4" chain and 200' nylon rode. "Bitter end not sighted". Does this mean I need to learn how to tie a monkey's fist ?

Glenn
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Wanting more anchor Reply with quote

Storm Dog wrote:
...The purchase survey estimated 20' 1/4" chain and 200' nylon rode. "Bitter end not sighted". Does this mean I need to learn how to tie a monkey's fist ? ...

Means the surveyor did not bother to actually pull the rode out of the boat to inspect it.

Should have done it to not only inspect the condition and quantity of rode, but to also inspect the bottom of the anchor locker. Sometimes they develop leaks into the hull or for evidence that the overboard drain is not working.
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 9kg Vulcan on my 25 and could not be happier with it. Great anchor, sets very fast (in sand anyway). I have the articulated Lewmar roller, works well with it.
Storm Dog

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the articulated Lewmar roller, works well with it.

I am in a foreign and dangerous location (N.Y.). I only have 2 days to provision the boat and be away on the water. I won't have time for that install. Do you think it'll work with the stock roller seen in my photos?
Storm Dog

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Means the surveyor did not bother to actually pull the rode out of the boat to inspect it.

Should have done it to not only inspect the condition and quantity of rode, but to also inspect the bottom of the anchor locker. Sometimes they develop leaks into the hull or for evidence that the overboard drain is not working.

Darn. Too true.
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the picture of your roller, I would say it should work. Just take it easy and go slow the first few times you use the windlass especially as the anchor nears the roller.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vulcan or Ronca should be fine. You want to pull out all of the rode. If you are not getting water under the bunk or floor platform, the locker should be fine. I found that the 25's seem to have less problems with the anchor locker than the 22's.

When you get the bitter end of the anchor rode out--take some light line--1/8" to 1/4" and tie one end to the eye bolt nut which should on the inside of your bow eye. If none, then get a 1 x 2" stick several inches long and tie the thinner line to it. then take that to the end of the rode--best to make a very tight back splice and then put a pass or two of the thin line thru the bitter end of the main line-don't tie a monkey's fist. You ant to be able to get that line out of there. if you need it, either to tie a fender to it, for temporary abandonment, or if you need to add more anchor line. (Put multiple red marks (electrical ties, paint, plastic dip on the last 3 feet of the anchor rode to the bitter end, so you can stop before you get to the thin line. If you need to sever the line, then the thin line is easy to cut, and then tie two bowlines to join two anchor rides together.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Wanting more anchor Reply with quote

Storm Dog wrote:
"Bitter end not sighted"

It means that he did not confirm how or if it is attached.

I ran mine out at the dock yesterday to confirm that it was attached and to put on new depth markers. PO said that there was 350' of chain and I didn't understand his marking system (little pieces of string). I found that there was a more chain so that it was possible to put 350' down. What I didn't know is that it was then spliced to and additional 200' of 5/8 rode. When he purchased the boat, it was set up as a dive boat and that's what he used it for. I guess if you anchor in 100' you might need that much anchor line. I removed the rope (the old splice didn't even work through the new winch). I'm pretty sure that a #35 CQR and 350' of chain is all I'll ever need. God help me if I ever have to retrieve by hand.

I made sure that the bitter end was attached.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, that should give you close to 50 foot depth at high tide, so to be really safe, 40 foot depth max and you should have it covered, even allowing for the water level to bow height. That will cover a lot of anchoring and anchorages.

You do want to make sure that windlass is in good working order, hand weighing would not be pleasant even if it was possible.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Storm Dog

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for all the advice and info!

Glenn
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use our boat for diving, which means we anchor once or twice every time we use the boat. We have a stainless Bruce type anchor and 400 feet of chain. We usually use 125-150 feet of chain at most of our dive sites. I got tired of having to re-splice the rode and also having some rodes slip in the windlass. I don't have any issue with dragging anchor. Most of the time, the chain alone holds us in place.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
ricka

City/Region: Yreka
C-Dory Year: 2020
Photos: ricka
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Anchor and windless Reply with quote

Phil,
What is the brand of the bow roller you show on your TomCat? The one that came stock on ours ( A Lewmar I believe ) has no way to pin the Anchor in the stowed position like yours. I have installed the lewmar chain stop but would feel better having a second safety pin. I also installed a Lewmar Profish 1000 and we have had trouble with it not wanting to feed the chain out continuously when dropping.
Any Ideas of what I may be doing wrong?
Rick

1976 ORION TRIHULL 15
1984 BOSTON WHALER 17 MONTAUK
1996 BOSTON WHALER 21 CONQUEST
2006 BOSTON WHALER 17 MONTAUK
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the stock roller on our 2008 Tomcat.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, another question for you. Do those colored blocks that fit into the chain stay, and do they last. Just looking it seems that they would work themselves out and fall away.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
......and also having some rodes slip in the windlass

This reminds me of a serendipitous discovery I made last season on my CD25.

My anchor rode is relatively old. I flipped it end for end a few years ago, and that bought me some more use; but in time it started to slip in the gypsy again. I figured it was finally time to buy a totally new rode since the wear and tear made the 20 or 30 feet of the anchor end of my rode too smooth for the gypsy to grasp.

For unrelated reasons I needed to go inside my chain locker while I was in the process of pulling up the anchor with the windlass. WHOA....I noticed that the rode was piling up under the deck pipe. That pile up took the tension off the rode which was causing the slippage. Now no slippage, and no new rode required!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: