The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Zoom for technical issues
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Poll Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is there any interest in using Zoom Video Conferencing for technical discussions?
I would definitely be interested in using Zoom to help resolve issues.
66%
 66%  [ 28 ]
I would never participate in an on line meeting
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
I am interested but don't have the technical expertise
19%
 19%  [ 8 ]
Bad idea don't allow on line technical or social meetings
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 42

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Zoom for technical issues Reply with quote

I am asking if there is any interest of establishing Zoom Video Conferencing meetings. I envision these as being a supplement to the forum, and in no way taking the place of the forum.

Additional discussion here.

Edited by TyBoo - Poll created
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't say "I would never participate in an on line meeting", but it is highly unlikely that I would.

In the case of problems with my boat, I find it is much more convenient to post a question and then come back later to view the responses. This allows both myself and the responders to provide input as they can. Having a Zoom "meeting" requires all participants to be present and available at the same time.

Also, I would not have Zoom capability on my boat where I'm likely to need technical advice.

Just my $.02.
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
I won't say "I would never participate in an on line meeting", but it is highly unlikely that I would.

In the case of problems with my boat, I find it is much more convenient to post a question and then come back later to view the responses. This allows both myself and the responders to provide input as they can. Having a Zoom "meeting" requires all participants to be present and available at the same time.

Also, I would not have Zoom capability on my boat where I'm likely to need technical advice.

Just my $.02.

Thank you for the excellent thoughts. Any meetings would be scheduled. The meeting would be at time agreeable to the OP and Hosts. The summary and photos (screen shots) would be available for later review on the OP's thread, along with the original post asking for help. The OP will probably post his comments as well as the meeting summary.

Technical assistance would be for some issue such as the C Dory 16 which has possible wet floor, floppy hull, delimitation. This would not be for an acute issue, like my "alternator is not working". Not for emergency issues.

If you have cell. phone reception you probably will be able to participate with downloads of the meeting, and the audio in. You would not be able to live stream photos back to the meeting and the audio might be a little choppy. I have experimented with this using a Verizon Hot spot "jet Pac" where we had only 1 to 2 bars. The user has control if his video or audio are broadcast. The original thread will continue and not be replaced by the Zoom meeting.

This is an experiment. It may not turn out to be practical. But I have seen many positive uses. My daughter has been using this for over a month, with 100% success teaching (exceptionally bright) second grade students. If you have the computer or tablet with a camera, the expertise is easily taught, either on line or via telephone. If you can access this forum you will be able to use Zoom. (assuming a good connection for full utilization.)

It is possible that a meeting might be scheduled to discuss several issues, Reminders and the link to the meeting would be provided via e-mails.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with SoBELLE on this one. Colby
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be fine with Zoom for that purpose. I've also thought about hosting a virtual C-Brat get together for those who would like to participate. I've been doing Zoom happy hours with friends for weeks now and its been a nice way to maintain contact.
tomherrick

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a great idea, even though I'm not the most social person in general... Sometimes actual conversation can help get to the bottom of an issue more quickly and thoroughly than written snippets online. Thumbs Up
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the question and poll answers. I get the question but the right answer was missing (Sorry -- That's my point of view. Would be interested in doing some Zoom meetings, it would just depend on the level of technicality of the subject mater.) I have been joining church meetings every weekend now for a month, plus some other rare meetings, all on Zoom. It has worked quite well, but I'm not sure I would be up to doing technical stuff on it.

The idea of a virtual CBGT sounds intriguing, maybe that would be something to try for our Friday Harbor alternative.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Teufelshunde

City/Region: Sebastopol
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Fish Wisher
Photos: Fishwisher
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me !
Lew 25

City/Region: Billings
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: CAT CLAW
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: zoom Reply with quote

I would be interested if the learning curve isn't to steep. Lew
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: IBZoomin Reply with quote

Great idea. We are deep into Zoom Territory, as in five or six a week at a minimum. With the security updates I see no issues. We have had not a single hack or ZoomBomb go off at our meetings. There is a bit of digital culture to catch such as muting your audio feed, using Chat to save talk time, using both Share Screen/Background, and figuring out how to use lighting to get a good video image (no "Cave Shots" please). Count me in. My email to sent me an invite is bobjarrard@gmail.com.
Bob Jarrard
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ideas, Bob. Thanks.
Larry K

City/Region: Port Huron, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Odyssey
Photos: The Odyssey
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t know how much I would use it but it would be great to see everyone and have a discussion on my problems and sharing my thoughts as limited as they may be.
Larry K C-Brat #150
The Odyssey
Jackie

City/Region: Ketchikan
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lil' Bit
Photos: Lil Bit
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds tailor made for me and my core issues, though I don't know if I'd be comfortable with an entire zoom meeting witnessing my bad boat care. Embarassed I'd certainly love to have a way to show my progress in real time and get advice on my repairs, but I, personally, might prefer one-on-one?

I can see great opportunities, though. I would certainly benefit from joining any meeting where technical topics were being discussed. There is a lot I'd like to learn and I'm just about a really bright second grader!
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Why not give it a try? Zoooooooooooooooom!!! Reply with quote

All,
As we have Bob at the top of the posting list and now I notice that here is a "Poll" which I did not even know existed as a site function (learn something everyday the old dog does); why not just pick a time/day for the first meeting, send out the invite a day or two early to short circuit the lurkers (do we have lurkers? I know some of us have caught lunkers!), use the Password Function, enter in thru the Waiting Room, and see what happens?
As we are C-BRATS and therefore will have lots of opinions, may I suggest a bold member send out the invites for this coming Wednesday at 7am PST? Earlier would work for many I am sure, but we have those who are not "Left Coast" on board and some may work (what is that - have I forgot?). The other end of the day works well also, 6pm is popular. Sunday is a busy day for many of us with lots of Zoom meetings already.
As you can upload not only your Background Screen but also you can use the Share Screen function to upload pictures, documents, drawings, and even video - we could have a good old time.
Having been through a few of these Zoom startups, I suggest the first meeting deal with a gentle tutorial on the Zoom functions. It really helps to have a list of functions and tools that will be discussed and even better yet, if someone uses a "loose cannon" - that is an aim able camera, the portion of the screen in question/discussion can be zoomed in on Zoom, not all the buttons are self-evident. The host has some unique screen tools and so this job is best left to an "Assistant" with a participant shared screen up and running.
How about having the meeting hosted from someone's C-DORY, better yet, one that is in the water and moving! Or host from your Man Cave and show us your toys.
Some topics that I suggest:
#1 I would really like to learn how to use a tablet and lesser cost navigation software. Guess I am slow and often do not get the drift of what I read, video is better for me.
#2 Engine choices, especially two vs four stroke are always interesting. I like Yamaha, own a small Mercury, have serviced a fleet of 9.9's by both Honda and Yamaha, been on many a panga running a baling wire motor, like the smaller Tohatsu motors , and am intrigued by the 300 hour service interval of the Evinrudes.
#3 Panbo articles on radios, cell boosters, and the like are sometimes over my head but I am interested.
#4 "Dinks, Drunks, and Dunks" as we called tenders in my sailing days is always a good topic. I would love to find a dink that is light, takes a 2.5hp motor or more, is easy to row (with oras that fit inside the boat), stable, unsinkable, able to be beached without damage to the bottom, ready to hoist aboard (and it would be great if it can be flipped upside down without losing a few digits), comes with lockable deck chocks, has a way to fit a tight storm proof but vented cover, has good permanent fender/side wale protection, has some truly watertight storage, can be sailed using a Sabot/El Toro/Opti/generic windsurfer rig that breaks down for in-board storage, seats two plus stuff/one dog or three in a pinch, and is low cost/low maintenance!!!
I must be bored, retired, or stir crazy in Nevada lock down, or all three!!! Thanks so much for letting a guy with no C-DORY be a C-Brat for so many years.
Bob Jarrard bobjarrard@gmail.com
PS: I know Jim (former owner of Wild Blue) is always checking in here, he is
way tech smart and has a good grasp on so many topics, not the least of which is "Pets on a small boat - good idea or disaster about to happen?)! BJ
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
Some great suggestions. I was hoping to keep the comments and suggestions the initial page:

Here

That way we have only one page of suggestions and try and keep this just as a poll.

I will copy and paste some of the suggestions on that page.

Thanks!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Poll Archives All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: