View previous topic :: View next topic  
Storm Dog

City/Region: Biloxi
State or Province: MS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mae-C
Photos: Mae-C
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: C-25 Soon to be unleashed Reply with quote

Hi all,
I purchased a C-Dory in NY back in Jan/Feb. The boat has been stored due to many circumstances. Now, with pandemic raging the marinas in NY have finally opened. My plan is to pilot the boat down the ICW next month down to Biloxi, Ms. I have a new Honda generator I want to make a platform for. I'd install it in the starboard splash well area and run a remote fuel line from the fuel filter to the generator to enable shore power while at anchor.

I also hope to anchor out as much as possible to save money. My shower sump has a broken nipple and I'll have to get a new one, an improved model.

I have a couple questions. What is the easiest way to secure the generator and platform to the splash well? I won't have many tools to prepare this addition. I'll be a thousand miles from my garage and most of my tools. I'd also like the dimensions for the platform and the platform support or "foot" to make it level.

Concerning the shower sump, I notice there are 2 remote hoses that appear to come from the cockpit area. Does anyone know where the pickups are for this part of the bilge system?

I don't have any access to the boat until I fly to the Hudson river area to splash it. Fair warning; I may have many more questions about c-dorys, boats, water, food, navigation, anchoring, and such.

I don't see where I can add an attachment to show pictures
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to ask the site administrator to set up a gallery for you to post pictures on this site.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Storm Dog, and welcome aboard. The CD-25 is a great boat! To add photos here, you can link them from a 3rd part site, like imgur, or request an album from DaNag or Tyboo and upload your photos to that album.

Several of us made L-shaped "shelfs" for the splash well to hold a Honda generator. We sold our boat, so I don't have any measurements, but a search here should get you some ideas. No doubt another Brat will be able to measure what they have. We used a plastic covered bike lock cable to keep the generator there.

The hoses near your shower sump may be from the bilge pump that is under the step. Or, on our boat, we had a fresh water washdown mounted on the exterior cabin bulkhead, and it may be a hose to that. The only hoses that are part of the shower sump should be the intake from the shower and the exit that goes to the port side hull.

Congrats on the new-to-you boat. We had a 2007 and it served us well during our ownership. As far as asking questions here, that's a big part of this site. The Brats are helpful and encouraging. One of the best parts of owning a C-Dory didn't come from the factory - it is the the fine folks on this site.

Enjoy your trip home.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made with starboard....

Also, you say you mostly anchor out. So do I, so I don't worry about locking up the genset; however, if in a marina, I just put the genset in the head. It fits there very nicely (and yes, sometimes, I have to move it out of the way to the cabin sole in front of the sink just while I do my business).

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and if I were you, I woudn't run a fuel line to it. Just fill the tank from a gas can. This Honda 2000i runs about 8 hours on a full tank (4 hours if it is under full load.....which it never is).
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first question I have is will the Honda generator fuel pump pull fuel from under the cockpit floor to the top of the vent cap of the generator? It may or may not. The easiest way is put a squeeze primer bulb on the auxiliary fuel output and pump it to the generator fuel fill. This auxiliary fuel output is also rigged to run a kicker from the main engine. (I have this system)

The way most do it, is to buy a 6 gallon auxiliary fuel tank and place that at the same level as the generator. Carry several 2 gallon cans to fill the 6 gallon tank if necessary, but you can fill the tank each time you get fuel for the main.

To mount the generator, I would do it somewhat as mine is mounted, but make a temporary wood bracket. The plywood (Starboard in my case) rests on the forward lip of the smash well. The lower end of the bracket would rest in the lowest part of the splash well. I'll measure all of this right now for you.

The platform should be 24" long (I would go 25" just to be sure, I didn't have a plumb bob, and it will be about 11" off the aft end of the splash well. I would cut a board the width of the Honda (probably 12" wide x 25" long, Take a 2 x 2 12" long to make the cleat, and another 12" wide by 11" long board for the upright. 3/4" ply will work. You can seal and paint if before you leave. The only hole I drilled in the boat was at the top of the splash well (no core) and this keeps the generator from sliding or tipping backward. You do want to secure it.

Below is a photo of my set up. I put the support (of 3/4" Starboard) onto a SS pipe, so it could be moved, and the pipe serves other functions, such as a vertical pipe at the "T" to act as a hand hold when boarding, and a "pen" for fuel cans for the generator. My generator is bolted thru the support board with Allen head screws (metric thread I believe it was 5mm??) so it would be very hard to steal. Your board would extend over the end of the splash well. You would glue "silicone non skid on the bottom where it contacts the forward end of splash well, and the bottom of the splash well. You would bungee cord ti to the platform. I used neoprene washers between the feet and under the fender washers under the platform to decrease any vibration.

An alternative is a plastic milk crate on the swim step, but securing this in all weather may be an issue. I would want eye bolts thru the swim step to hold it all down.

For planning distances go to: . Distances between United States Ports. This has distances on the ICW. I would download the whole packet on your computer
. I keep print out of various segments aboard, in mylar sheaths, so you can outline where you are. There are also publications about the ICW: "2019 ICW Cruising Guide: Your guide by Bob423 " and the several "Waterway Guides"--including the ICW, Southern Atlantic, Chesapeake, NY waterways, etc--may be way too much info??

You are going to have to decide how fast to run-the range vs the time. At 5 to 6 knots there is a huge range. At 20 you are looking at about 250 miles...on a good day. I have gone over 200 with a mix of plane and displacement in a fully loaded 25 with a 130 hp (underpowered for the conditions)

There are going to be other issues. Some states are saying "no recreational boating". There are going to be closed marinas. Consult The hull truth or Cruising Forum for info there--I have a pretty good handle on much of it, but it changes daily. For marina closures--and fuel, check the waterway guide web site. Also food may be a little more difficult--not sure if Marinas are loaning cars or uf UBER or Lyft are working in some areas for transport. But it can be done, and I know of some boats which are going North (or South) currently. Not as easy as in the past.
See: COVID 19 marina status

Hopefully you can pull off the "Delivary" of the boat--not "recreational boating" if you are stopped along the way by LEO. Once in Florida, there should be no problem. Be aware of the severe storms we have had (including last night). Be sure you are very securely anchored in a protected area or at a marina if these come up.

Be sure and take masks and gloves for when you have personal contact. We have no idea what the rules will be in a month.

There can be some rough areas: Deleware Bay, Chesapeake Bay, Pamlico Sound, Albermarle Sound and the crossing of the upper gulf to Carabelle from Ceder Key or Anclote Key. Watch your weather there very carefully,

Keep in touch with me via e-mail or PM, and I'll try and help as best as I can--PM will get my cell number and if you cannot get internet, I can help out with planning. I have done the ICW from NY to Texas several times in a variety of boats.

If I were doing this trip in the C Dory 25, I would also have an "Inreach" Device--so others can track you, and you can send messages even though you don't have cell service. Again, I am happy to help with this.

Sounds like a fun trip, If weather or some other issue is a problem, then don't be surprised if it takes more than a month.

Good Voyaging

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I put my Generator up high is that it stays there all of the time. The "locked cable" is just an extra security. The unit is bolted down with metric Allen head screws. It could be stolen, but I suspect a thief would go to the next boat.

The other reason is I don't want water (especially ocean water) splashing on it. I am elderly and lifting it back and forth is not feasible. The ShelterRite cover (made with glue and about $8 worth of fabric) completely covers the generator, yet is easy to get off.

I like the lower mounts, except they require moving the generator. When in rough weather.

You would need the exact measurements to make the lower shelf but is is a good way to go.
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the platform I made from Starboard for the Anna Leigh (now Tosca). It just sits in the engine well (with a single engine on the boat) and the Honda on top of that. The Honda will run for about 8 hours so I don't think it would be necessary to try and plumb it into the boat fuel tank.

http://www.c-brats.com/albums/Anna-Leigh-25-Upgrades/Honda_200_stand.sized.jpg

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Storm Dog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject: C-25 Soon to be unleashed Reply with quote

The shower sum actually has 3 input hoses and one output hose. The cabin bilge under the step has it's own output hose. Going straight out the hull in back of the port aft cabinet. It's a Rule sump that has been discontinued.
Storm Dog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject: C-25 Soon to be unleashed Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
The reason I put my Generator up high is that it stays there all of the time. The "locked cable" is just an extra security. The unit is bolted down with metric Allen head screws. It could be stolen, but I suspect a thief would go to the next boat.

The other reason is I don't want water (especially ocean water) splashing on it. I am elderly and lifting it back and forth is not feasible. The ShelterRite cover (made with glue and about $8 worth of fabric) completely covers the generator, yet is easy to get off.

I like the lower mounts, except they require moving the generator. When in rough weather.

You would need the exact measurements to make the lower shelf but is is a good way to go.

I can see why do would want it mounted as you do. Good idea not having to move a heavy generator around every day. I don't know about the tubing you installed.
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can see why do would want it mounted as you do. Good idea not having to move a heavy generator around every day. I don't know about the tubing you installed.

The SS tubing is not necessary for what I described for you to make. Just take the piece of plywood 12" and 24" long, make one end at 90* with the second piece of plywood to support the aft end of the platform. The front end sits on the forward lip of the splash well. The lower part of the piece of plywood going vertically, sits in the aft bottom of the splash well. You screw both the upper horizontal board aft end into the 2 x 2 butt block, and the upper end of the "leg" of the smaller piece of plywood into the 2 x 2 butt block. If you want to secure it, then put a screw thru the forward end of the plywood, and into the forward lip of the splash well. This can be a temporary arrangement--and then make a permanent or removable one of Starboard later if you wish. This is to get you "home' to Biloxi in short period. You should have not problem getting the plywood in a suit case on the plane. Then you assemble the "90* L or foot" when you get to New York.

You are probably not taking a battery operated drill with you on the air plane. I have found a handy tool which will do many jobs, is a Dremel tool. You can get a small drill bit set, various size cutting bits, saw bits, sanding drums and discs, etc for the tool. These can all be placed in small bag. I keep a Dremel tool and accessories in a bag which is about 10", 2" wide and 4" high on the boat at all times.
Storm Dog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: C-25 Soon to be unleashed Reply with quote

The SS tubing is not necessary for what I described for you to make. Just take the piece of plywood 12" and 24" long, make one end at 90* with the second piece of plywood to support the aft end of the platform. The front end sits on the forward lip of the splash well. The lower part of the piece of plywood going vertically, sits in the aft bottom of the splash well. You screw both the upper horizontal board aft end into the 2 x 2 butt block, and the upper end of the "leg" of the smaller piece of plywood into the 2 x 2 butt block. If you want to secure it, then put a screw thru the forward end of the plywood, and into the forward lip of the splash well. This can be a temporary arrangement--and then make a permanent or removable one of Starboard later if you wish. This is to get you "home' to Biloxi in short period. You should have not problem getting the plywood in a suit case on the plane. Then you assemble the "90* L or foot" when you get to New York.

Understood Bob. Read you Lima Charlie. Thank you everybody for your inputs!

Glenn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: