The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cockpit slant back cover pictures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curioustraveler

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
Photos: Curioustraveler
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Cockpit slant back cover pictures Reply with quote

Good morning all,

Does anyone have detailed pictures of how their cockpit cover connects around the lazarettes and splashwell? Or any opinions on designs? My preference would be to completely cover the lazarettes to keep them dry but from what I can tell most connect forward of the covers.

I'm speaking with a few local canvas makers and I'd like to provide some pictures of designs that you recommend.

Unbelievably expensive. We're talking around $1500 for a slant back and $4000+ for a bimini enclosure.

I'm thinking do the slant back cover now to keep water and junk out of the cockpit. This seem the most important (she'll be in a slip without any shore power.) And add a $300 bimini from one of the aftermarket sellers for some shade for now. Maybe in a year or two get the full enclosure.

Thanks
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out last 4 pics in Nomad mods album. It may help.

Martin.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slant back seems a little high....but a quality, with high end clear vinyl (like E Z 2 C, or Stratoglass, plus all SS fittings would be $4,000.

Be sure that an awning rail is placed on the cabin top, so that you can use both the Camper back and slant back in the same rail. My current boat has the awning rail, and zippers (start in the middle) which match for both the Bimini and slant back.

For the slant back all of the way over the cockpit lazarette cover, around to the hull for the snaps all around the sides and across the stern, right up to the motor. Have an edge trimmed with vinyl right up against the forward part of the motor, to keep debris out of the splash well.

I don't have photos of a 22, but there are probably some in my album of the current 25 which has this setup. I'll check and if you want more photosI can send you a pvt message to a cell phone, or email.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can check out nested albums within my photo album to see both a full cover and my Bimini Top/Camper Enclosure. This nested album is of the Camper enclosure: http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2715&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my boat here, but one I helped ferry to the other dock.

You can see the snap spots on the side of the hull, and that the mooring cover has been released to get access into the cockpit. I believe it did cover the lazarettes. If I was doing one I would also want it to cover the splash well, and the outboard cowls.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

curioustraveler

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
Photos: Curioustraveler
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colbysmith, I like how far back your enclosure goes. Did you have that made locally?
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lohaus Covers in Cottage Grove, WI. The Camper Enclosure snaps onto a channel of hard nylon bolted down in the splash well. There are snaps along the decking just behind the Lazzarette covers. This allows me to also place my cooler rack with cooler at the forward section of the splash well, and I can still access my battery compartments. The full cover also goes over the main and kicker outboards. Below is the link to photos of my full cover, also made by Lohaus, and is trailerable. Colby

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Boat-Cover&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
olsurfdog

City/Region: Carmel Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Summer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="hardee"]Not my boat here, but one I helped ferry to the other dock.

You can see the snap spots on the side of the hull, and that the mooring cover has been released to get access into the cockpit. I believe it did cover the lazarettes. If I was doing one I would also want it to cover the splash well, and the outboard cowls.

Harvey's

Thanks for the picture (taken when previous owner had her). That's now my boat and still has same slant back. It covers the lazarette hatches but not the motor or well. Be nice if it did - not sure how that would work while driving. If that could be worked out, ie. tight enough around and over motors so no flapping while driving it would be cool. Don't know that I've seen any pics showing motors being covered as part of the slant back?????

Because I was where I was
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have towed our 25 with the slant back in place when raining. There was no obvious damage to the cover. But it should be fairly tight.

I have provided the OP with a number of photos of the 25 with the cover. The issue of cleats came up. There are several ways to get around that (pun intended). There can be a circular cut out the size of the cleat, and overlap below where the line would come out, with a large flap over the cleat and line--velcroed on each side, to keep the rain out.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Cockpit slant back cover pictures Reply with quote

You can look at the Will-C photo album. A 23'Venture but you'll get the idea. A zipper across the top back of the cabin which was also shared by the camper back canvas.
Snaps down the the side and along the splash well were also shared by the camper back. Jean's Canvas out of Belford New Jersey did the work, Excellent work.
D.D.

jep27

City/Region: New Haven
State or Province: VT
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Lunasa
Photos: Lunasa
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added a copy of our custom slant back to our album.

Using camper back zipper and snaps -- aligned to wrap around bimini poles.. so we don't need to break that down each time.

To do this again, I might have preferred folding the bimini forward.. resting on the cabin roof.. and making the slant back a bit larger to embrace that -- the velcro slits are a bit of a pain to deal with..

Made locally here in Vermont - $ 650.00

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: