thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John do you have the remote? I am aware you can choose a user profile, which is where you "dial down" (Same with Pronautic/Sterling). I am not sure how accessible the front of the 12-25 (or 40) would be mounted where the standard battery charger was mounted. The remote should allow you do this without laying on your side, head into a cabinet...(or is your unit located in an more easily accessed position (as I did with my last 22, BC under the Galley)?
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob!

The Blue Seas P12 40A charger is mounted just inside the port next most aft cabinet with all the other 120v equipment ( ProNautic Galvanic Fail Safe Isolator and 120v Blue Seas 120v circuit breaker panel) and is easily visible by just opening the cabinet and pushing ANY button to light up the display. It’s the first 120v item inside the cabinet door, so it is very easily accessible with some leaning down (assuming you have a good knee, and by lying on my side if you do not).

Here is a pic of the P12 ‘status’ digital readouts:

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/blu7532-blue-sea-7532-p12-gen2-battery-charger--40a--3.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping%20-%20All%20Products&utm_term=1100200315462&utm_content=Shopping%20-%20All%20Products

Here is a pic of the P12 ‘remote’ LED-only proxy status readouts:

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/blu7520-blue-sea-7520-p12-led-remote-fbattery-chargers.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping%20-%20All%20Products&utm_term=1100200315462&utm_content=Shopping%20-%20All%20Products

I like the precision of the 4-digit gauge much better than the approximate ‘indicator’ versions. I’m just that kind of guy. I don’t think the multiple-LED remote is anywhere near the precision I crave in a battery monitor (4 digits).

I do like my Victron 702 precision in calculating amps in and amps out; and I salute you for this great accurate find. Anyone who anchors out should have one (or at the very least, a $36 4 digit Blue Seas Vdc voltage monitor so you can shed load before getting down to 12.2v).

Happy Hunkering to All!
John

joechiro30

City/Region: Lynnwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the charger but now I need to trace the wiring to the three battery terminals. Should the wiring between the charger and the batteries go to each individual battery? I am trying to trace where the wires go from the charger to the battery but there is a jungle of wires I need to sort through.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gulfcoast john wrote:
I do like my Victron 702 precision in calculating amps in and amps out....

If your Victron unit does not come with Bluetooth, I highly recommend getting the Bluetooth dongle Victron makes ($50 I think it was). The monitoring app is free.

That dongle has been one the best purchases I've ever made (I'm an "on the anchor" guy too). The Victron tracks an amazing amount of data, but the vast majority of it is useless to the user since one must push button, after button, after button to access it.....not to mention the tiny display. With the app, you get graphs of your usage hour by hour all night long, and a ton of other goodies. You can also set all options from your phone instead of those little buttons.

Don't get me wrong, my Victron 700 provided all the essential info I needed before I starting using the app, but that $50 was more than worth it to me.

P.S. Now when I awake at night worrying about my batteries, instead of getting out of bed to look at the Victron, I can just roll over, grab my phone, and have a quick look.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joechiro30 wrote:
I installed the charger but now I need to trace the wiring to the three battery terminals. Should the wiring between the charger and the batteries go to each individual battery? I am trying to trace where the wires go from the charger to the battery but there is a jungle of wires I need to sort through.

The wiring should go to each individual battery bank. For example if you have two batteries in the "house bank" then they will be wired in parallel and there will be a ground and positive. Generally there is only one ground from the battery charger, which goes to a terminal block near the batteries, and then each battery is connected to that ground thermal block. The individual positive battery wires go to each bank.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: