HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Safety with flooding cockpit
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanabacb

City/Region: Floyd
State or Province: VA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If able to make enough speed underway, wouldn't removing the transom drain plug leave the cockpit water in your wake? Or is there something different about a C-Dory?

Following Department of Redundancy Department guidelines I agree with two pumps and two buckets!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanabacb wrote:
If able to make enough speed underway, wouldn't removing the transom drain plug leave the cockpit water in your wake? Or is there something different about a C-Dory?

Following Department of Redundancy Department guidelines I agree with two pumps and two buckets!

Being a total believer in the Department of (Duplicitly) Redundant Department membership Cool I agree, 2 pumps, 2 buckets and 2 spare plugs. And if you area able to get up on plane, pulling the plug would work.

(Taking great care here to avoid the rather hot topic and nearly a most talked about issue on this site ---- is your plug an inney or an outey Laughing

...but if your plug is on the outside, it might be a bit difficult to reach and pull if you are up on plane. But also, if it is on the inside, it is not going to be easy to reach there either, and you are going to get wet in either situation if you are pulling that plug to evacuate excess water from the cockpit.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a terrible thread....gave me nightmares last night!
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanabacb wrote:
If able to make enough speed underway, wouldn't removing the transom drain plug leave the cockpit water in your wake? Or is there something different about a C-dory

On step, pull plug, all water go away, put plug back in. That's why you always put plug in from the inside whenever possible Mr. Green Wink
Not possible on the 25 so it got a bronze screw in . Thumbs Up
tomherrick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Jim, here ya go... At 8,000 gph might as well get two of 'em. 12V, 30A...

https://www.grainger.com/product/RULE-Plug-In-Utility-Pump-6PWA8

Just to be clear, Jim, I'm not dissing your concern about a flooded cockpit, I share it. Which is why I know about these...
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've taken water into the cockpit twice. The first time coming into Deception pass on an very rough day combined with the wrong tide, took a pretty nasty wall of water over the bow and cabin. Enough water back there to take notice.

The second time when a gale kicked up on one of the short Puget Sound shrimping days. We had to retrieve the heavy gear 2:00 pm or risk loosing it and possibly get a ticket from fish and wildlife. We probably should have just left the gear and took our chances with the authorities, but instead we used the electric pot puller from the rear of the boat, which in turn acted like an anchor tp pull the water line down. Took a solid wave or two over the splash well. That ended up being about 8-12" of water in the cockpit.

Both times the pumps kicked on and moved it all out. I agree with two bilge pumps in the 22. That's an easy upgrade everyone should do.

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I haven’t practiced what I am about to preach here, I’m of the belief a good manual pump (E.G. Whale Gusher) is a good idea.
Baxter

City/Region: Sheridan
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Baxter ll
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Water in cockpit Reply with quote

The best large volume of water in a cockpit removal is a frantic person and and a good bucket.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Water in cockpit Reply with quote

Baxter wrote:
The best large volume of water in a cockpit removal is a frantic person and and a good bucket.

Yes it is.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Water in cockpit Reply with quote

Baxter wrote:

Not when your afraid to open the door due to the in rush of water Laughing Thumbs Up
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wandering Sagebrush wrote:
Even though I haven’t practiced what I am about to preach here, I’m of the belief a good manual pump (E.G. Whale Gusher) is a good idea.
''

I have owned two of the Whale Gusher 30's in Sail boats, and had to use them several times. They will move about 30 gallons a minute. But it is hard work.

This is a double diaphragm pump--pumps out on both push and pull strokes...Also any plug can be relieved in seconds by opening the chambers. A bit of large kit for a c Dory 22 however..

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
This is a terrible thread....gave me nightmares last night!

Laughing Tonight before heading to bed imagine each successive wave coming before your pumps have cleared the cockpit. Each one adding more water than the last because of your compromised freeboard. You decide its time to head to cockpit with your 5gal bucket to bail. The door is locked from the outside from the pressure of the water. You thank Cdory for building such a stout bulkhead with quality marine rated glazing. Then the other half of your brain thinks no, it would have been better if the glass broke sooner. You don survival gear/ditch bag and head towards the forward hatch. Standing on the bunk you unlock hatch and mentally prepare to open it, exit as quickly as possible then close it behind you to seal. Standing by the windshield you attach your tether to the roof rail and prepare to ride this bucking bronco back to the cockpit like The Lone Ranger running along the roof of a racing freight train. Halfway there the final wave completely fills the cockpit continuing to crest the roof sweeping you onto the foredeck. As you struggle to regain footing, pulling on a tether that somehow appears suddenly very flimsy your mind wanders to that moment in Cabela's and are eternally thankful that you didn't cheap out and splurged for the climber rated carabiners. Shivering in the ice cold water you AWAKE realizing its just cold sweat,,,,,

You will thank me for not being able to sleep all night because you will be first in line tomorrow morning at marine supply to buy every available pump.

You might even thank me for my post 7-8 years ago when I went against the flow and urged people not to remove their flotation foam.

Bored here decided to write a novel,

Rob

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, Thanks a lot Shocked For a minute there I was thinking "Perfect Storm"

You forgot the part about cutting the inflatable loose, clipping that bow line to my harness and taking that forward in case I have to get off the point end at some point.

Cheers,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: