The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

26’ Venture question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike_b

City/Region: Rogue Valley
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject: 26’ Venture question. Reply with quote

My wife and I have been looking at pictures of 26’ Ventures, and we are wondering if anyone might know the dimensions of the box circled in red in the picture? Could it possibly be used as a fish box for smaller fish such as trout?

Thanks
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it could be used as a fish box. There is a small hole drain hole in the bottom of the step compartment for a drain if you were to use crushed ice. We own a 23 Venture but the step mold is the exact mold used as a step in a 26 Venture. The maximum inside measurements are L-45" x W-10" x H-8". The step lid is just shy of 32 " long. Gary.
Mike_b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DayBreak wrote:
Yes, it could be used as a fish box. There is a small hole drain hole in the bottom of the step compartment for a drain if you were to use crushed ice. We own a 23 Venture but the step mold is the exact mold used as a step in a 26 Venture. The maximum inside measurements are L-45" x W-10" x H-8". The step lid is just shy of 32 " long. Gary.

Thank you for your help!
Dose this box ever get in the way when your fishing? Looking at pictures it seems like a person handling fishing poles might be hitting that box with their shins?
DayBreak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your welcome. The step does not get in the way of fishing whatsoever. We fish a lot out of our C-Dory for Tuna, Salmon and Lingcod and store fishing related items in it. It has a toe kick under the step so you may walk up to it with the front of your feet under the step. For a child, it makes a great seat. We place a large size white igloo cooler across the back of the cockpit for us to sit on and put our fish into. Great idea though to use this step/storage area to place trout when fishing.
Mike_b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DayBreak wrote:
Your welcome. The step does not get in the way of fishing whatsoever. We fish a lot out of our C-Dory for Tuna, Salmon and Lingcod and store fishing related items in it. It has a toe kick under the step so you may walk up to it with the front of your feet under the step. For a child, it makes a great seat. We place a large size white igloo cooler across the back of the cockpit for us to sit on and put our fish into. Great idea though to use this step/storage area to place trout when fishing.

Thanks again. I see your from Oregon and do some of the same type of fishing we do. One of the reasons we are considering the Venture over the traditional C-dory line is because we would like the sharpest V mono hull C-dory available to minimize the pounding in chop. The compromise we would be making is comparing a Venture to my current boat which is a 22’ Alumaweld Intruder (typical sharp v PNW aluminum boat) which has a 18 degree V. By any chance do you have any experience on PNW aluminum boats like my current boat? If you do could you offer any thoughts on the ride difference between the Venture and my current boat on the Oregon coast waters.

Thanks again.
DayBreak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Mike_b, I do have 2 other smaller boats I use while fishing and crabbing in the bay but not like your Intruder. Your boat will fish off the coast very well. It is very seaworthy being that is has a dry weight of about 2500 lbs and a 18 deg. deadrise at the transom. When we go out, your type of boat zooms past us to the fishing grounds but when we finally get there to fish, the boats with more deadrise rock back and forth more while fishing than ours. C-Dory boats are definately very stable on the swell because of the more flat bottom at the transom. Don't get me wrong, your boat is a great boat. To answer your question, you will get more pounding on the chop with a C-Dory while underway but we love the refuge of the cabin when the weather is bad while fishing. Going into a 2 ft. chop and 6 ft. swell at about 12 seconds we travel only at about 15 knots but in mostly good comfort to our favorite fishing grounds. I know you can go much more faster than that under the same conditions with your Alumaweld. Everything is a compromise. Smile
Mike_b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DayBreak wrote:
Sorry Mike_b, I do have 2 other smaller boats I use while fishing and crabbing in the bay but not like your Intruder. Your boat will fish off the coast very well. It is very seaworthy being that is has a dry weight of about 2500 lbs and a 18 deg. deadrise at the transom. When we go out, your type of boat zooms past us to the fishing grounds but when we finally get there to fish, the boats with more deadrise rock back and forth more while fishing than ours. C-Dory boats are definately very stable on the swell because of the more flat bottom at the transom. Don't get me wrong, your boat is a great boat. To answer your question, you will get more pounding on the chop with a C-Dory while underway but we love the refuge of the cabin when the weather is bad while fishing. Going into a 2 ft. chop and 6 ft. swell at about 12 seconds we travel only at about 15 knots but in mostly good comfort to our favorite fishing grounds. I know you can go much more faster than that under the same conditions with your Alumaweld. Everything is a compromise. Smile

Thanks for the feedback, that was just the type of information I was looking for!
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find what Daybreak said to be true as well. My C-Dorys have dictated RPM's, and I obey. I value comfort over speed. I throttle back and change my angle if necessary because I refuse to pound. Don't buy a C-Dory if it's frequently choppy and you want to be first to the fish. But she'll treat you like a prince if you've got a little more time and are sensitive to the day's conditions. I may arrive 20 minutes later, but wearing summer clothes in my warm cabin in winter. Hey, or sooner, if the surface isn't snarky.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: