View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: converting to high top Reply with quote

I'm less than a year away from starting on the restoration of my '99 22' Cruiser. While doing repairs I have the opportunity to make some modifications. One thing I've considered doing is raising the cabin roof to the same dimensions as the high top version. My inclination is to NOT do it for two reasons... 1) I'd no longer have an unmolested boat and 2) The boat would be marginally more top-heavy if I was to store an inflatable up there. However, the added headroom would be nice to have, particularly as I plan to add some kind of insulation to the ceiling.

I'm curious if anyone else has done this. Is anyone aware of a similar project?

tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: converting to high top Reply with quote

pcg wrote:
I'm less than a year away from starting on the restoration of my '99 22' Cruiser. While doing repairs I have the opportunity to make some modifications. One thing I've considered doing is raising the cabin roof to the same dimensions as the high top version. My inclination is to NOT do it for two reasons... 1) I'd no longer have an unmolested boat and 2) The boat would be marginally more top-heavy if I was to store an inflatable up there. However, the added headroom would be nice to have, particularly as I plan to add some kind of insulation to the ceiling.

I'm curious if anyone else has done this. Is anyone aware of a similar project?

The "marginally more top-heavy" is a non issue. Cutting the center hump out of the roof & adding 2-4" is a project.
A dry place to work (heated in my case) & lots of time on your hands sounds like a good time. Thumbs Up Beer
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The project is certainly "do able". I don't think the weight would be a factor--many boats have "racks" and platforms on top--which are more weight and higher.

The difficulty is a whole other factor. Is the top of your boat cored? This will make a difference. Do you want to just increase the "dome" (in the center) height, or all of the way across? (The high top is just the center). Geometry of the sides of the high top will change. You could re-use the top and change the sides and end (more difficult in front. But again almost anything is doable in fiberglass.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
tomherrick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

I'm finally back on my boat project (franken-boat to some... Wink ) and raising the roof is definitely on the agenda once I get it flipped back upright. Standing in the center of my cabin to the left of the helm, my head grazes the roof when I stand straight; not cool... I have no experience doing this but as a supporter on his Patreon site am getting very good help from Andy Miller at Boatworks Today. He and I will Facetime again this Saturday to get me straight on a few things. Perhaps he might be an helpful resource for you.

A C-Brat who does have experience with the process of glassing cabin walls and installing a top is Chris Bulovsky on his boat SCOUT. I have a hazy recollection that he may have purchased the roof from the factory and installed it on new walls, but I've been wrong before... You may want to search on his posts for more detailed and correct information on his project.

Here's a link to photos of his project. The cabin walls and roof photos begin with #12. http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=ProjectBoat&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

I'll be following your thread here as I have lots to learn.
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Year: 2006
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is certainly doable, but I will bet any glass guy will charge $5,000+ to do it.

David
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its probably cheaper and easier to just sell the standard top boat and buy a high top.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had the knowledge to do this, I would raise the whole roof, not just the center part. It would be a geomitrists dream project.
1. Cut current roof off at the top of the windows.
2. Cut that roof in half cross-ways, just behind where the forward windows fit.
3. You will need taller windows by ~4"(or whatever height you decide*) to replace all the side and rear windows. (The Door can be replaced using the same window it has now.)
4. Cut out the front windows just below their frames.
5. Next, (and importantly**), replace the front windows with a forward rake of ~20 degrees.
6. Add the necessary additional length into the cabin roof where the cross cut was made to rejoin the two cabin halves.
7. Put in the appropriate height windows to be able to see out when seated at the helm seat or standing in the hall.
8. Put the lid down onto the cabin.
9. Install the door to the desired height at top.
10.**Pat yourself on the back for having the first properly angled front windows on the water.

* If the windows are not raised, what is the point of raising the roof? If you need the height to stand and walk inside, You will also want to see out when you are seated at the helm or table.
** Forward raked windows mean no reflections on the inside when operating at night in the dark. Less water spotting from rain or splashing also.

>> Moving the windows forward will also move some weight forward. Not a problem since our boats are stern heavy anyway.

>> This is not going to be an inexpensive mod, time or dollar-wise. See the post directly above this one.

Keep us informed on what you are doing here. Wish I had your talent.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: