The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Shrimp pot puller

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidJ

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: E-Z Rider
Photos: davidJ
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Shrimp pot puller Reply with quote

Hi guys, I thought I would share information on my home built davit style shrimp pot puller. It runs off a wheelchair motor. I brought it 12 years ago from a guy that used to build them in his garage. I have probably have pulled about 1,000 pots with this set up. If your handy you could build one of these for less than $400. The Davit style pullers are the best kind because you can raise the pot up high enough to easily slide it onto your boat. You can see pictures in my album.
If you want to build one of these, the wheelchair motors run at 120 rpms on 24 volts. With a 5" wheel they will pull up 400 ft. of line in about 3 1/2 minutes. With a 8' wheel they will pull 400 ft. of line in under 2 minutes, if you can keep up with it. you have to keep tension on the line and throw or coil the line in a bucket. You will also have to put a layer of duck tap on the wheel to keep it from slipping. The motors are right or left hander. If the wheel is on the wrong side of your davit, just turn the motor upside down. If the wheel is turning the wrong way just reverse the leads, you want the line to come off the top of the wheel so that you can get a longer pull on it.
You can buy these motors on E bay, it is probably best to buy a pair, just incase. But if anything goes wrong it is almost all ways a fuse, switch or connector. Use heavy wire, 40 amp fuses, heavy duty switches, tape your connections, have a 12V check light, and carry spares.
When you go looking on line they have a lot of different types of motors. You want to get the large size Jazzy or Pride motors like the ones in my picture album. sometimes they will come with wheels, if they don't ask if they have any they can sell you. You need to attach the back of the transmission to the backing plate.There are 6 bolts that hold the back cover on. You want to use these bolts to hold the backing plate onto the back of the transmission, but you will have to get longer bolts and probably some nylon spacers to go on the bolts to even everything up. You should be able to get a pice of aluminum to use as a backing plate at most hardware stores. The backing plate is held onto the davit with 2 U bolts.
When you get your motors they will probably still have an electric brake on them. To remove the brake, take of the motor cover and remove the 2 screws on top of the motor and cut the 2 thin wires and remove the brake. The motor will probably have shift leaver to shift from natural to drive. Make sure it is in drive and then cut it off, it will be in the way when you bolt the motor to the backing plate.
On my C19 when I bolted the bracket to my gunnel there was a plastic pipe in the was that held the outboard motor cables and wiring. I was able to work around it because the gunnels are wider on the 19 than they are on the 22.You can check in your battery box to see if the pipe will be in the way. If it is in the way, the next to the last picture in my album shows my original mounting brackets. They were held on with 4 small screws and lots of 5200 and worked well for 12 years. I got my new brackets at Holliday sports in Burlington Washington. They had about a dozen different types of brackets, for different set ups, but you can probably get everything you need on line or at your local store.
If you have downriggers, make sure you leave enough space to slide your pot between the puller and riggers. Also make sure there is enough room between the puller backing plate and your cabin grab rail when rotating the puller.
The round shrimp pots with 3 doors work best with this set up, because you can attach your line directly to the pot. You don't need to use a sling, all the shrimp fall down into the section that doesn't have a door, you won't lose any. and you will be able to raise your pot up high enough so that you can easily. slide it onto the gunnel with just using 2 fingers if you want to.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Shrimp pot puller Reply with quote

davidJ wrote:
Hi guys, I thought I would share information on my home built davit style shrimp pot puller. It runs off a wheelchair motor. I brought it 12 years ago from a guy that used to build them in his garage. I have probably have pulled about 1,000 pots with this set up. If your handy you could build one of these for less than $400. The Davit style pullers are the best kind because you can raise the pot up high enough to easily slide it onto your boat. You can see pictures in my album.
If you want to build one of these, the wheelchair motors run at 120 rpms on 24 volts. With a 5" wheel they will pull up 400 ft. of line in about 3 1/2 minutes. With a 8' wheel they will pull 400 ft. of line in under 2 minutes, if you can keep up with it. you have to keep tension on the line and throw or coil the line in a bucket. You will also have to put a layer of duck tap on the wheel to keep it from slipping. The motors are right or left hander. If the wheel is on the wrong side of your davit, just turn the motor upside down. If the wheel is turning the wrong way just reverse the leads, you want the line to come off the top of the wheel so that you can get a longer pull on it.
You can buy these motors on E bay, it is probably best to buy a pair, just incase. But if anything goes wrong it is almost all ways a fuse, switch or connector. Use heavy wire, 40 amp fuses, heavy duty switches, tape your connections, have a 12V check light, and carry spares.
When you go looking on line they have a lot of different types of motors. You want to get the large size Jazzy or Pride motors like the ones in my picture album. sometimes they will come with wheels, if they don't ask if they have any they can sell you. You need to attach the back of the transmission to the backing plate.There are 6 bolts that hold the back cover on. You want to use these bolts to hold the backing plate onto the back of the transmission, but you will have to get longer bolts and probably some nylon spacers to go on the bolts to even everything up. You should be able to get a pice of aluminum to use as a backing plate at most hardware stores. The backing plate is held onto the davit with 2 U bolts.
When you get your motors they will probably still have an electric brake on them. To remove the brake, take of the motor cover and remove the 2 screws on top of the motor and cut the 2 thin wires and remove the brake. The motor will probably have shift leaver to shift from natural to drive. Make sure it is in drive and then cut it off, it will be in the way when you bolt the motor to the backing plate.
On my C19 when I bolted the bracket to my gunnel there was a plastic pipe in the was that held the outboard motor cables and wiring. I was able to work around it because the gunnels are wider on the 19 than they are on the 22.You can check in your battery box to see if the pipe will be in the way. If it is in the way, the next to the last picture in my album shows my original mounting brackets. They were held on with 4 small screws and lots of 5200 and worked well for 12 years. I got my new brackets at Holliday sports in Burlington Washington. They had about a dozen different types of brackets, for different set ups, but you can probably get everything you need on line or at your local store.
If you have downriggers, make sure you leave enough space to slide your pot between the puller and riggers. Also make sure there is enough room between the puller backing plate and your cabin grab rail when rotating the puller.
The round shrimp pots with 3 doors work best with this set up, because you can attach your line directly to the pot. You don't need to use a sling, all the shrimp fall down into the section that doesn't have a door, you won't lose any. and you will be able to raise your pot up high enough so that you can easily. slide it onto the gunnel with just using 2 fingers if you want to.

Looks good Thumbs Up What are you using for a sheave on the davit end?
Beer Mr. Green
davidJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The upper bracket has a nylon sleeve in it. They make the lower brackets with sleeves, but the one without was $22 less. after buying the middle bracket my wallet was getting kinda light, so I went for the one with out the sleeve and figured I would just grease it up every so often, there is a little bit of play in it. If it doesn't work out I will replace it with a sleeved one But you are right It should be sleeved.
tsturm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidJ wrote:
The upper bracket has a nylon sleeve in it. They make the lower brackets with sleeves, but the one without was $22 less. after buying the middle bracket my wallet was getting kinda light, so I went for the one with out the sleeve and figured I would just grease it up every so often, there is a little bit of play in it. If it doesn't work out I will replace it with a sleeved one But you are right It should be sleeved.

Sorry for the "Old" crane rigger/operator lingo. Sheave (shiv) is the grooved pully wheel a rope/line runs in. Wink

Have fun Thumbs Up
davidJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I misunderstood your question. I thought someone noticed I went cheap on the lower bracket. Its a standard block on the top of the puller, black nylon, kinda J shaped so you can throw the line in the top, but the lower side comes up high enough so the line isn't going to come off the side. It's held on with an I bolt thru the top of the davit. I have to bungee it up to the davit to keep it from banging on the cabin roof when cruising.
tsturm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidJ wrote:
Sorry I misunderstood your question. I thought someone noticed I went cheap on the lower bracket. Its a standard block on the top of the puller, black nylon, kinda J shaped so you can throw the line in the top, but the lower side comes up high enough so the line isn't going to come off the side. It's held on with an I bolt thru the top of the davit. I have to bungee it up to the davit to keep it from banging on the cabin roof when cruising.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
chromer

C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey David,

Hope you can shrimp this year.

Dwight

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: