View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: MOB video from Storm Tri Sail Association Reply with quote

/Scuttlebutt released this MOB video today. It is usually shown at safety at sea seminars.

Even though this is geared for larger sailboats, there are a lot of good lessons for us as C Dory owners, if we every have a MOB. As for getting a person back aboard--We usually have our Garheaur Davit rigged, and the 6:1 ratio would allow a woman to get a man aboard. Having a ladder available is a real plus. The use of a Life sling is also discussed.

Fun video to watch for us ex sailors!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not discussed are the MOB's actions (if conscious). My experience using throw lines is all from whitewater kayaking, but most of it seems applicable here. The person in the water must resist the temptation to hand-over-hand to assist their recovery. It is not always easy to see when they have lost the line and pulling it 15 feet away is a long distance (and time and energy) to swim in a PFD even assuming no drift. Pulling the line in and throwing again is also not good. Better to let the person aboard or on shore do all the pulling and the person in the water save all their strength. They will need it.
The person in the water may find that the temperature makes gripping difficult enough until the line slips through to the actual throw bag.

Whether to attach the line via a carabiner on the throw bag to one's PFD was a choice in whitewater rescue. If there were large obstructions between the person in the water and the shore (rocks, logs, etc.), it might only be possible to pull the person closer, have them abandon that line, and then throw a second line. For a MOB, the water is always open and attaching the clip on the throw bag to the the PFD (preferably to its lift hook) seems like it would always be a good idea. If you're disappointed by losing a fish alongside the boat when it throws the hook, just think of losing a person because they weren't hooked on.

I was thinking of bringing a couple of throw bags to FH. Could be more fun (and more important) than a bean bag toss. Maybe next year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things really scare me about MOB on my boat.

1. Most of the time I am on board by myself.

2. If I have someone else on board with me, who is going to do the "keeping eyes on and pointing" while the other person does the driving.

I know it is not the perfect solution, but, next to not going onto the boat, I think the FELLMarine solution is the best available so far. If I go overboard, the boat shuts down. If my guest goes over, I get both a visual and audible alarm within 5 seconds.

I do practice multiple safety procedures, (PFD, Checking in, Float Plan, etc) but accidents are not planned events.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: